cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow Call me crazy, but what has become of eBay and its policies??

So, I re-opened my store for Christmas and was doing some research on my product for pricing.  I typed in key words 100 Mini Lights Red Green.  As I scrolled the listings, I saw this.....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=100+mini+lights+red+green&_sacat=0

At the bottom of the page, I saw sponsored "websites" (not eBay sellers) advertising "like items".  What the heck?  I thought eBay didn't want to drive sales off site?  I thought it was against eBay policy to do so, but apparently it is now OK, unless you are an eBay seller.  Good luck with that eBay!!  So very very wrong (at least for this long time seller).  I will tell you I won't be buying A THING on eBay and will close my store again after December.  Ebay, the bad gift to sellers that just keeps on giving!!  No wonder there is such disgust by sellers selling on eBay.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Things change.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 35
latest reply

@inthepastcollectibles wrote:

So, I re-opened my store for Christmas and was doing some research on my product for pricing.  I typed in key words 100 Mini Lights Red Green.  As I scrolled the listings, I saw this.....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=100+mini+lights+red+green&_sacat=0

At the bottom of the page, I saw sponsored "websites" (not eBay sellers) advertising "like items".  What the heck?  I thought eBay didn't want to drive sales off site?  I thought it was against eBay policy to do so, but apparently it is now OK, unless you are an eBay seller.  Good luck with that eBay!!  So very very wrong (at least for this long time seller).  I will tell you I won't be buying A THING on eBay and will close my store again after December.  Ebay, the bad gift to sellers that just keeps on giving!!  No wonder there is such disgust by sellers selling on eBay.

LOL. Corporate greed at it's finest. They would rather blow off billions of dollars of future long term profits from items sold on the site, to make a couple of quick bucks on off site advertising links. They only care about what they can make today. If the company goes broke tomorrow, they will all just get jobs at another company and run that into the ground too.

It reminds me of a lot of news media sites.  Where every news story is a sponsered link that takes you to another website. Of course they make a lot of money on the links, until people stop coming to their site, becase all the news is elsewhere. There is no logic when it comes to greed.

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Ebay has been kicking its own visitors off their web site for as long as I can recall, although I was equally shocked when I first found out especially as a former webmaster I find the disrespect ebay shows to its visitors appalling. 

They're not the only ones...

You have to think, ebay is "run" by employees who have no real skin in the game.

If ebay were yours or mine that would be a whole different story.

Granted not every webmaster is a whole lot more respectful.

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Ebay is for the Chinese Mfg. They don't care about the USA.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Amazing what can change in a year or years. Unfortunately this year has ramped up to be a harder challenge that I think anyone expected. We can't change the company's mind with regards of which direction it wants to take the site. We can express feelings but beyond that, the small business, like myself has no power over anything. Just trying to stay out of the line of fire and hopefully make some money to buy presents.

Even this new promo, 10% off it you use the app. Can't use if if I don't have any sales to spend money with. slight_frown

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

No sales on ebay ? Look into the possibility of providing services or becoming an ebay employee.

EBay is more than a marketplace bringing together seller and buyer.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

@guybemis wrote:

@inthepastcollectibles wrote:

LOL. Corporate greed at it's finest. They would rather blow off billions of dollars of future long term profits from items sold on the site, to make a couple of quick bucks on off site advertising links. They only care about what they can make today. If the company goes broke tomorrow, they will all just get jobs at another company and run that into the ground too.

It reminds me of a lot of news media sites.  Where every news story is a sponsered link that takes you to another website. Of course they make a lot of money on the links, until people stop coming to their site, becase all the news is elsewhere. There is no logic when it comes to greed.

Yup!

GM just laid off thousands of workers last week before the holiday season with plans on closing more plants.

Guess who just happens to be on their Board of Directors as of earlier this year... Devin Wenig.

His business strategy just keeps infecting big companies all around.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

NO kidding. On the board of GM!  And the other ebay guy. Silverman, has destroyed the snobby craft site in ONE year.  It's worse then ebay now.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

Don't forget Mnuchin. Or whatever his name is, board of whatever at Sears. Now working for the government that is having a hard time defending the tax cuts.
latest reply

I didnt know that either esquinta.  I wonder at times, if these sites are purposly ruined and messed up. For sellouts, buyouts, whatever. I really dont understand big business.  Some of it seems so silly. And whats the big love affair with Adyen all of a sudden. Global sales and buyers? Does alibaba use adyen?

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

No sales on ebay ? Look into the possibility of providing services or becoming an ebay employee.

EBay is more than a marketplace bringing together seller and buyer.

Hahahahahaha.........I know what I've been brought. I nice bit pile of warm XXXX.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

Ebay has become an amorphous blob of profit generation under the lock and chain of the board.

It's not here for sellers or buyers anymore.

It is here for the sole purpose of generating profit for shareholders and if tomorrow that meant selling hotdogs to a guys named Kevin...this place would be hotdog central in less than 24 hours.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

Have a little empathy for folks that were laid off or will be laid  off at GM - some will take  early retirement, some will relocate to another GM facility, some will opt for  collecting unemployment benefits, some will find new employment.  On Dec. 16, 1981, I was laid off after 14 years of service.  This was a  big recession year - 10%+ unemployment nationwide.  I found a job but but had to relocate from  Chicago to Texas in April 1982 - which didn't bother me a bit as in January 1982 - a big storm hit - temerature was - 26F with a wind chill  of -80 to -100 F.  BTW my unemployment  check was $80 a week for a family of 4 and my electric/gas bill  for January  '82 was $650.00 or equal to 8+ weeks of unemployment compensation.    Also  lived through the  blizzard of '78 ( wind chills to  - 100F too)  when we lvied in Massillon, Ohio.  We survived. 

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

Wow, that says it all. Isn't there anyone above this guy to see what is happening? Wonder if his higher up is Chinese. Just saying... "wink"
Message 15 of 35
latest reply