cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my account blocked from listing any new HOME MADE FACE MASK posts?

Suddenly, one of my home made mask listings was blocked and now somehow my account is flagged and I can't list anymore masks that I am making out of cotton for sale using those key words "Face Mask".  I understand that they have limited sales of surgical and medical masks, but mine are not those.  Mine are the same as the 280,000 other listings and this is not okay!  No one from Ebay is available to ask.  Any suggestions how to get through?

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Be aware that Any titles/descriptions with the word "mask" will be flagged and/or picked up by the eBay bots.

Many sellers whose normal selling practices don't include said products and/or who don't normally sell these types of items/products may also get singled out as taking advantage of the situation at hand and as unfair as it seems, taking up the torch to make & list products of this nature on eBay at this time is not a good idea as you have now learned. Only eBay can decide who may become "approved" sellers for any of the medical related products that are now included in this ban. As long as the ban is in effect sellers who have had such products removed by eBay will not be able to list/re-list any such products.

You can donate/sell these items locally or find other online sites to list on, but at the current time, eBay is not the place to do so...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/COVID-19-Community-Hub/We-are-Actively-Removing-Price-Gouging-Prohibit...

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

I have donated 200 masks to organizations locally, and I am NOT selling medical masks.. the  home made cotton ones that the CDC is recommending that Americans wear and need.  280K other people have the key words FACE MASK in their listings so that seems incredibly unfair.  I'm not "taking advantage" of a situation, but trying to provide masks to those who actually want them, and don't qualify under a free program such as human service agencies.  And I dont  have the resources to fund them for free to everyone.

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

All mask are banned from being sold.

They are working on removing any listings for mask.

"Beginning on March 5, we implemented a ban on certain items listed on our site, which includes blocking new listings and removing existing ones that sell: masks including N95/N100 and surgical masks;"
https://community.ebay.com/t5/COVID-19-Community-Hub/We-are-Actively-Removing-Price-Gouging-Prohibit...

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 4 of 41
latest reply

and if you had read eBay's announcement, you would have known  prior to listing your product, that eBay was banning masks and removing any listings that had the word mask in title or description..and just because others are doing it and have not been caught yet, does not make any difference to eBay. It's eBay's site, eBay's rules. eBay can prohibit the listing of any item it so desires.

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

I see them on your listings

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

@jerky2 

Typed in  Face Masks & Homemade Face Masks into the eBay search bar - didn't  come up even close to 280,000 other listings.  Saw lots of Halloween face masks and cold weather  face masks, etc but only a few similar to your 21 listings.

Guess the eBays cops are like the  traffic cops, they only can bust  one violator at a time - this time you were tagged.

Don't know what eBay told you but I would be concerned if I were you, they  may just put an end to your selling privileges.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 7 of 41
latest reply

Unfair or not you were caught and if you do not comply will be sanctioned.Ebay does not have staff to vet each listing so it has instituted a blanket ban on masks

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 8 of 41
latest reply

The online customer service support center is working and they are doing a really great job. They responded to my question quickly and my issue was resolved. Follow this steps: 

Go to Help > Selling (scroll down) > Seller levels and performance > Scroll all the way down to the end of the page till you find Need more help and click on Email.

Yes, it took awhile to finally find that "Need more help? Email us."

They are working 24/7 so try it. 

I know how you felt when your account was closed especially during this pandemic. Don't need extra stress. But hats off to the customer service team!

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

Thanks for your insight, yes I was able to read the guidelines prior to listing and am not violating those rules.  I was making and selling personal use fabric masks, not medical grade... and that was clearly stated in my listings.  Ebay unfortunately isnt sophisticated enough to distinguish the difference, so has taken all mask sales down, leaving the spread of the virus to get worse since people who don't sew may have more difficulty with following CDC guidelines.

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

@jerky

eBay  states they are banning " ....... masks including N95/N100 and surgical masks."   That seems to  strongly suggest all* masks  including the ones stated.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 11 of 41
latest reply

Maybe it's a liability issue as there is no way to certify you are covid free?   It's a needed item.  

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

Fair or not it is eBay's call what can b listed and what can't
Why not put your focus on selling other items
I took a quick look at some of your listing and u r listing some really nice things
Too bad the nice bedspread was a queen
I really liked it and price is good
Stay safe
Message 13 of 41
latest reply

@jerky2 wrote:

Thanks for your insight, yes I was able to read the guidelines prior to listing and am not violating those rules. 

It's all mask, not just certain ones.

"blocking new listings and removing existing ones that sell: masks including N95/N100 and surgical masks;"

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 14 of 41
latest reply

wrong!

if any seller's listings have been previously removed, that seller is now on eBay's "watch list" and will be flagged. eBay search bots are hard at work and that's a good thing.

I no longer have any sympathy for any seller who continues to try to list items just because others have not yet been caught and/or sellers feel their product is justified by using the lowest prices feasible and/or continue trying to circumvent the ban by disguising their listings.

It's time to stop questioning the rules here. 

Sellers need to get on with selling their usual products rather than trying to engage in listing their " for a good cause" items that eBay has decided to put on its prohibited list for the current time frame.

This is eBay's site, so it's eBay's rules and policies> eBay does not have to justify their actions - they are in charge and they have made the rules. If sellers don't like the rules and policies & want to circumvent those rules and policies, then those sellers need to be held accountable for their actions.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply