cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is ebay trying to become Walmart? Walmart is FAILING!

Ebay you just keep killing this site. Its just that simple.

Started out as a great site. Cheap listings. Everybody took cash or checks or money orders.

Then the Greed from ebay kicked in and its been down hill since.

Now in 2017 Ebay thinks its silly Walmart. Lets do 30-60 day returns.

And this some how make ebay a better place?

HUH? Go to walmart and look at all the meth heads-dope heads-scammers who return stuff.

Now look around ebay at all the sellers that complain about being scammed on ebay buy a buyer. Its unreal. 

So it seems ebay you took a great idea and flushed it down the toilet.

30-60 day returns. This is the death nail on ebay. How can any company survive when you sell a product and 30-60 days later its returned.

Sorry ebay but this site worked better when it was just a Auction site with NO RETURNS as-is just like at a auction. NOT WALMART!!!

Message 1 of 103
latest reply
102 REPLIES 102

I offer, NO RETURNS, you can do it too............

Message 2 of 103
latest reply

When people get used to doing things a certain way, They don't like change. In today's world, change is not always a good thing. To adapt to change is not always easy but must be done to stay in the race, and stay on top. eBay is not on top, far from it, and what they are doing will hurt some eBay members, But most will adapt and excel, I offer 30 day returns but never had one, and to compare eBay members with "Meth heads & Scammers" is just not fair. You sink or swim here at your choosing, I choose to swim. Good Luck to you.

Message 3 of 103
latest reply

@etxcltr wrote:

Go to walmart and look at all the meth heads-dope heads-scammers who return stuff

Now look around ebay at all the sellers that complain about being scammed on ebay

So it seems ebay you took a great idea and flushed it down the toilet.

30-60 day returns.

This is the death nail on ebay.

How can any company survive when you sell a product and 30-60 days later its returned.

I have actually seen very few reports here from sellers being scammed by returns.

Most of the reports I see are from sellers being scammed by SNAD claims.

Message 4 of 103
latest reply

etxcltr wrote:

Now it's 2017.....

I haven't heard that Walmart is failing.  Boy!  Our three super stores sure aren't!  They're THRIVING!  Must be a difference in the locations we live in or something. 

But, yes.. eBay closing in on a quarter of a century.. e-commerce soaring in growth.  Things change.  Hope you figure out how to adapt and thrive here.  I certainly works well for me.  Good luck. 

Message 5 of 103
latest reply

When eBay wakes up and realizes that 'Sold AS for parts' and 'No returns' means what it says and allows  'Buyer beware'  to rule the site may have a chance to draw back decent sellers, this means buyers actually do due diligence on sellers and those terms mean what they say.

Message 6 of 103
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

I haven't heard that Walmart is failing.  Boy!  Our three super stores sure aren't!  They're THRIVING!  Must be a difference in the locations we live in or something.

May 18, 2017 - Marketwatch

Wal-Mart earnings: Results expected to be steady in a sea of stumbling retailers

May 18, 2017 - Bloomberg

Wal-Mart Online Sales Grow 69% in First Quarter

May 19, 2017 - Forbes

Walmart’s first quarter 2017 earnings report was gratifying

The analysts also seem to agree that WalMart is not failing.

Message 7 of 103
latest reply

tonycea wrote:

.....the site may have a chance to draw back decent sellers.....

Truthfully, I think eBay has more *decent sellers* here these days than they used to!  A higher percentage of the non-decent ones gone now, in my opinion.  Don't think eBay wants to *draw back* many of them!  I expect they are thriving on other sites.  At least, they vowed they would as they left this site. 

Guess e-commerce beyond-arms-length transactions still gives room for scamming and cheating, but we seemed to have so much more of that years ago with the Western Union scams and counterfeit money orders, etc.  It wasn't all THAT great, as I remember.  I've been here from the early years, and while the Wild West atmosphere was pretty fun, it wasn't all that safe sometimes!  Smiley Surprised

Message 8 of 103
latest reply

LOL, if you sell something for under 10 bucks and a buyer wants to rake you over the coals for a return on an item that nothing can go wrong with, like a slip on phone case that should not be allowed by eBay.

eBay executives can't figure out how to fix this problem because they do not apply common sense to the issues.

Message 9 of 103
latest reply

@tonycea wrote:

When eBay wakes up and realizes that 'Sold AS for parts' and 'No returns' means what it says and allows  'Buyer beware'  to rule the site may have a chance to draw back decent sellers, this means buyers actually do due diligence on sellers and those terms mean what they say.

Ebay would also have to do due diligence on those sellers also(I am also a no returns seller, but have had maybe 2 requests that I've accepted over the 15 years or so).

For as/parts/no returns, there should be a checkbox that the buyer accepts those terms - AFTER being forced to read the description. But, too many complaints against a seller for misleading or wrong info(yes, even for parts) and that seller should not be allowed to list like that until their record improves.

For example, sellers who sells broken laptops where the listing says or implies that there is memory and a hard drive in it, and they get 5  complaints from 5 different users and sales because one or both were not in there, then snad's should be opened back up against them.

For things like antique radios, if you sell for parts/as-is/not working, there should be a minimum # of photos provided of the inside, etc. - stuff like that. There are a lot of people who like to buy that stuff for parts or restoration, but they also need to know that if they are buying it for the 4 knobs, a tuner light and a face plate on it, then they will get one with the 4 knobs, a tuner light, and a faceplate and not get an excuse like "well, it was for parts and I needed a knob for another radio, so that wasn't included".

@tonycea wrote:

Buyers are not going to come here if no one had their back.

I know I would not.

And how does  due diligence on a seller have anything to do with a product just being defective.  It happens to the best of us.

Message 11 of 103
latest reply

Wrong, I buy stuff here all the time that I never send back even though I could.

Message 12 of 103
latest reply

I agree. Part of what made ebay a good site was the auction atmosphere and "buyer beware". 

Allowing reciprocal feedback was also a safeguard.

A few bad ratings for sellers AND buyers made a good transaction important for each to keep up their end of the deal.

I have had to return Monet twice lately.

one buyer claimed damage to item, one said measurements were incorrect.

How do I know if that is the truth? Their feedback couldn't show it if they do it every transaction.

I offer returns, I think we have had one. For most, it's SNAD.

Message 13 of 103
latest reply

@tonycea wrote:

Wrong, I buy stuff here all the time that I never send back even though I could.

Good for you.

But I buy expensive fine jewelry, and no way would I spend thousands of dollars and then get stuck with something that is not as described.

Same for my customers as well.  They are willing to buy sight unseen from me, because they know they are covered just in case.

Message 14 of 103
latest reply

@tonycea wrote:

In the past 13 years, I must have puchased a few thousand items. I think the returns could be counted on one hand.

Message 15 of 103
latest reply