cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While I was sleeping, eBay revised one of my listings.

When I got up, there was a message from eBay declaring "Your chances of selling have just gone up!". Then it read, "Hi, buyers can now make offers on your listing. etc." Sure enough, they added Best Offer to one of my under-performing listings (on my selling ID). In addition, they enabled the auto-reject for an amount equal to half-off my sales price. I assume they disabled the IPR function? While I appreciate their attention to a selling concern, I just would rather make changes to my listing myself. They should feel free to offer whatever advice they feel is important in creating sales, but to actually revise it without my knowledge crosses a line. 

I like eBay. I like selling here. But since they have no idea what my profit margin is, or how much I acquired the item for, etc., they simply are not qualified to make a business decision for me regarding the amount i would accept or reject for that listing. Let alone that for this OOAK item, I felt fixed price without Best Offer (but with Immediate Payment Required) was the best choice. They obviously disagreed. Plus, the listing has only been up for 7 days! It simply was not the right time to entertain offers or changes. I put it up as a test to see what kind of interest there might be. I'm gathering information.

I use Best Offer occasionally. I am not opposed to using it. Just not on this item at this time. Overall, my sales have been good the last 60 days. I had no complaints til now. Wow, just wow.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Since you mention having the auto reject enabled, I hope that doesn't meant the auto accept was enabled at just above 50% off.

I can see why you are upset!  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I agree with you 110% I don't want Ebay meddling with my listings. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Since you mention having the auto reject enabled, I hope that doesn't meant the auto accept was enabled at just above 50% off.

No, thank goodness the auto-accept was not enabled as well! 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh   Excellent post ... let's review a key point that is worthy of repeat:

" ... they simply are not qualified to make a business decision for me ..."

and one last time for the folks in the back of the room ...

Change to the Advanced Listing tool and this meddling will stop ... link in the upper right hand on the Quick Listing tool you currently use.  Ignore the warnings not to switch ... of course they don't want you to switch, then they would loose control of YOUR items ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@fashunu4eeuh   Excellent post ... let's review a key point that is worthy of repeat:

and one last time for the folks in the back of the room ...

Change to the Advanced Listing tool and this meddling will stop ... link in the upper right hand on the Quick Listing tool you currently use.  Ignore the warnings not to switch ... of course they don't want you to switch, then they would loose control of YOUR items ...

@mr_lincoln  Thank you for the vote of confidence and the great chuckle! However, i wanted to reiterate that i only use the advanced listing tool, making it even weirder for them to have targeted my listing in this way, out of the blue.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuhThey did that and you already use the Advanced Listing Tool????  That's just wrong, you should bring that up on the Weekly Chat and ask them "why"?  I sell a lot via Auction and the last thing I want is for them to be meddling with those listings ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

From eBay's perspective, I get why they do this to sellers ... it increases sales.  But, since it is not the desired approach for every seller (it creates some workload to manage offers), they should also have a way to disable the "Auto Best Offer" feature on an account.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

IIRC, the forced best offer was supposed to be for small, non-business sellers only.  The assumption being that business sellers understand their margins better than eBay and are already aware of the feature. Apparently there's been a policy change (unannounced).  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

khong hieu gi luon

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

No, thank goodness the auto-accept was not enabled as well! 

Auto reject at 50%.  I thought Ebay had said that they would set the auto at 30% so you wouldn't see any offers below that?
Message 11 of 11
latest reply