cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the "best" Selling settings?

I thought I got it figured out.  Nope!  When I selected to not accept returns the buyer claims "item not as described."  Ebay returns all their money and I eat the cost of shipping both ways unless the buyer elected to pay for his own return shipping. I also don't get refunded the Final Value Fee and Final Shipping Fee because Ebay stepped in.

Second time around I selected to Accept Returns and buyer pays Return Shipping.   Now buyer can return for whatever reason.   Ebay automatically approved the Returns without my consent.  I clearly stated no buyers remorse allowed and don't buy unless you agree to my conditions.  Nope!  I can't even charge a restocking fee.

So I ask:  Is there a best ebay selling setting so that I cry less in my sleep?  

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

I think it's better for me with free returns.  I now charge shipping so that is not usually returned to the buyer when refunding.  I also include a note in the package to remind the buyer that returns are free no matter what the reason.  Most of the time, I don't have a problem.....even though we sell clothing.  You really cannot control policies set by eBay.  Either resign yourself to that or find another place to sell.  Other platforms may have more seller friendly policies but we make less sales there.  I decided to deal with eBay and make the most of it!  Good luck to you!

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Where to begin......sigh. Ok-firstly there's no such thing as "no returns accepted" no matter what button you think you're checking. Not as described is an automatic return privilege and every buyer knows this. Paypal allows returns of ANYTHING for up to 180 days. Your ONLY option is to check 14 day returns-buyer pays return shipping. If the buyer claims not as described (its a shocker when they DON'T) then you will be jagged for the shipping back also. The danger with checking NO RETURNS is let's say you sell a $250 watch. The buyer gets it and calls Ebay and says not as described. There's every chance Ebay will refund them-take the money from YOU and then tell the buyer they can keep that item as you don't want anything returned-for any reason. Take the returns-it's not like you have a choice.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

No more 14 day returns. It's up 30 days. The moment Ebay tells the buyer Merry Christmas and keep my item is the day I will call up my credit card to dispute Ebays refund charge. If the buyer can do a charge back on their credit card so can sellers.
Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@sakura_des wrote:
No more 14 day returns. It's up 30 days. The moment Ebay tells the buyer Merry Christmas and keep my item is the day I will call up my credit card to dispute Ebays refund charge. If the buyer can do a charge back on their credit card so can sellers.

14 day returns are still an option on MY listing pages. I just listed 10 items with 14 day returns. I don't sell clothes-maybe the return window has changed in THAT category. From my listing today:Returns:
14 day returns. Buyer pays for return shipping

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

You can choose to offer one of the following return policies:

No returns
30 day buyer-paid returns
30 day free returns
60 day buyer-paid returns
60 day free returns
Some product categories have unique retail standards where you'll be able to offer variations on the returns policy options.

You can offer 14 day returns in the following categories:

Collectibles & Art
Digital Cameras
Camera Drones
Camera Lenses
Medical & Mobility

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 6 of 22
latest reply

OK I just did some digging and it appears Ebay is being sly about this. Ebay Faqs are outdated and all over the place. I was searching how to update my Return Policies and the Faqs said go to My eBay > Account > Business Policies. "Business Policies" was not there. I searched for the term and a thread popped up where someone provided the correct link. You have to first Opt In to Business Policies. I did and now I see it in My eBay > Account. Also, now I see the option for the 14 day return. Before it was only 30 and 60 days.
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@sakura_des wrote:
OK I just did some digging and it appears Ebay is being sly about this. Ebay Faqs are outdated and all over the place. I was searching how to update my Return Policies and the Faqs said go to My eBay > Account > Business Policies. "Business Policies" was not there. I searched for the term and a thread popped up where someone provided the correct link. You have to first Opt In to Business Policies. I did and now I see it in My eBay > Account. Also, now I see the option for the 14 day return. Before it was only 30 and 60 days.

Be leery of the 14 day return.  Recently I listed 12 items in a 14 day category - the listings were initially accepted.  3 days later, I got an email telling me that was a no-no and the listings would not be allowed if I did not update to at least 30 days. Called and was advised that 14 days are going bye-bye. Changed to 30, buyer pays.  So be forewarned and prepared to edit your listings... I recall when we could use 3 days as a return metric. Oh how I wish... 

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 8 of 22
latest reply

@sakura_des   First of all, don't make any statements in your listings about returns ... just describe the item.  If your items are not real heavy consider offering Free Returns ... it gives you the option NOT to refund for shipping and you get protection against negative Feedback.  You've already seen that Buyers can force you to pay the return shipping regardless of what you state in the listing or settings you have ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Ebay is just full of surprises.
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

I received an email too last month or two. The listing is still showing 14 days. The email didn’t say a date, so I just ignored it. Did cs say when?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

eBay is all about trial and error (until the change the rules...)

We started with 30 days returns, buyer pays.
But then we noticed that we almost never get returns. The items that do get returned we just resell them. So we changed it to "free returns". If someone returns an item, yes, it sucks. But we can always resell it later. If they return it in the not the same condition we shipped it, we can deduct the damage.
It saves us a lot of INAD cases. Saves a lot of headaches. If the customer regrets the buy, we don't want him to be stuck with an item they don't want. Annoyed customers are not returning customers. They don't need to start opening cases and we need to prove that we are right and the description is good.
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

The return policies options are as follows.

1. No Returns
  2. 30 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  3. 60 day returns w/ buyer pays shipping
  4. 30 day returns w/ seller pays shipping, AKA Free Returns
  5. 60 day returns w/ seller pays shipping. ALA Free Returns

With option number 1, No Returns the seller can completely deny taking a return for a Buyer's Remorse Return Request.  Or if they want to they can accept the return and have the buyer pay the return shipping.  If the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer.

On options 2 & 3 the buyer is responsible for the return shipping on a Buyer's Remorse Return.  Plus if the seller so chooses they can withhold the original shipping if it was separately stated on the listing [not free shipping] when it is time to refund the buyer.

On options 4 & 5 above, they are also known as Free Returns.  If a seller that has either of those policies they will pay the return shipping even on a buyer's remorse return.  A seller can withhold the original shipping value from the refund if the shipping was separately stated in the listing [not free shipping].  Also Seller’s offering options 4 or 5 have the ability to do partial refunds in certain cases if the item arrives back damaged, missing something or in a condition less than what it was sent to the buyer in, see the policy for more details, the link is below.  In the cases where a deduction in the refund is taken due to damage or other authorized reasons for a partial refund, Ebay will protect the seller from negative or neutral feedback.

ALL OPTIONS [1, 2, 3, 4 and 5] are required to process SNAD claims without exception.  Even if they are improperly filed and should have been a Buyer’s Remorse claim.

All return policies by sellers must meet or exceed what is stated in the Money Back Guarantee Policy!

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html#m17-1-tb1

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 22
latest reply

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
I received an email too last month or two. The listing is still showing 14 days. The email didn’t say a date, so I just ignored it. Did cs say when?

No, just that it is in the plans.  And that any seller attempting to enforce 14 days may be in for a surprise, but she would not elaborate as to what she meant by that. So I guess that might mean that if a buyer goes for the 30 day and ignores the 14 - eBay may choose to override and automatically accept return anyway.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@nc-daydreamer wrote:

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:

No, just that it is in the plans.  And that any seller attempting to enforce 14 days may be in for a surprise, but she would not elaborate as to what she meant by that. So I guess that if a buyer goes for the 30 day and ignores the 14 - eBay may choose to override and automatically accept return anyway.

You are correct, they [Ebay] would.  ALL SELLERS have to have return policies that meet or exceed the Money Back Guarantee.   And MBG offers the buyer 30 days from receipt.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 22
latest reply