cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the purpose of "Immediate Payment" if Ebay doesn't charge them immediately?

I check the "immediate payment" box and half-times get Immediate payment.  I had two winning bids in the past 2 weeks and neither paid.

What's the point of "immediate payment" checkoff box?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

What's the purpose of "Immediate Payment" if Ebay doesn't charge them immediately?

@liawrig.nq8rdwqa3 wrote:

I check the "immediate payment" box and half-times get Immediate payment.  I had two winning bids in the past 2 weeks and neither paid.

That refers to a BuyItNow (Fixed Price) transaction, not an auction win. eBay is slowly introducing immediate payment on auctions, but few (if any) bidders are in that program yet, so there is still the risk of having a deadbeat auction winner.

The winner has four days (96 hours) from the end of the auction within which to pay. After that you can cancel, using the reason of Buyer Did Not Pay, and if desired, you can re-list or send the second-place bidder a Second Chance Offer, and maybe sell the item (with Immediate Payment Required) for only one bid increment below the winner's price.

Don't cancel before the 96-hour mark unless the winner requests that you do so, because cancelling too soon will not give you the Did Not Pay choice, and the deadbeat will escape an Unpaid Item slap on his record. Wait the full four days if he does not cancel before that.

You don't need to invoice the guy (eBay will do that for you), and doing so can reset the 96-hour payment clock, after which you can cancel for non-payment if the winner hasn't paid.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

You can't do Immediate Payment required on auctions.  So if you are getting bids, that is an Auction.

If you are referring to the two new Buyer Requirements we have in our Site Preferences, the one for Auctions has not yet gone sitewide yet.  I'm not sure when Ebay is going to do that.  But for now it doesn't work, except for those in the test group.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@liawrig.nq8rdwqa3 wrote:

Adding to what others said:

You list auctions with a buy-it-now option. That's why you're able to check the immediate payment box on your auction format listings, but IPR will only apply if someone uses buy-it-now instead of placing a bid.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply