cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s eBays issue

I’ve been with eBay for 4 years and sold off and on for half that. I forgot the last reason I pulled all my items but if I have to do it again I’ll be selling elsewhere and advocating against eBays shady tactics. Since I’ve reposted items up for sale and sold items I’ve had no issues receiving payouts into my bank account. In fact I just received a payout this morning. Into my bank account that eBay sent out Saturday. 6 hours after getting that money I get a notice from eBay that they’ve been having issues with the bank account information I’ve provided and that to receive payouts I have to update my banking account information. Then there another notice with the same about my debit card. I updated my bank account information using their sign into bank account option. The other option was to provide a bank statement which I personally find invasive for eBay to do. Like I don’t care that they can see my transactions but they have no need to know what my balance is. Either way I’ve updated and cleared my bank information so them to still ask for a statement so i could use my debit card for payouts is ridiculous to say the least since I’ve never asked for payouts to directly go on to my debit card. I mean technically it goes into your bank account and the bank puts it on your card so I am at a loss and can only assume eBay is trying to strong arm me out of a bank statement at all costs or forcing me off their platform.  obviously I’m not going to find the answer from current users but I’m curious to know how many sellers eBay lost for asking this sort of personal information. It’s totally pointless when they’ve been using your bank account from the beginning and even made a deposit the very day they’ve requested this information and only leaves the conclusion they are taking personal information that benefits them not you. Can they legally withhold funds until you provide them with a bank statement even though you proved it was your account through another method they asked for only because they want to clear my debit card for payment even though I’ve cleared my bank account? Kind of a tough game for eBay to be playing since competition for e-selling is popping up left and right these days. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

What’s eBays issue

Just a guess, but I bet all those new tools you're selling raised some red flags.

They are trying to cut down on sellers trying to sell stolen items and they have been asking for more information from some sellers.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

What’s eBays issue

You have a Managed Payments account backed by your checking account (and debit card which is an electronic checkbook*).

EBay asked you to update your bank information.

You used the "sign into bank account " option.

Is eBay asking for the statement** instead?

Has the robot told you why the "sign in" was not accepted?

I would suggest using the customer reps assigned to social media to help with this.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

I went through this a few months after signing up for Managed Payments. An account which was used by two of my selling accounts was suddenly not accepted, but only for one of them.

After some discussion on Chat, I changed to a different bank and different account. The other account is still getting payments smoothly through the original bank.

And in passing- does your name match exactly on account,debit card, Managed Payments and eBay?
If your name is John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith,

you cannot have a bank account as J J  Jingleheimer Smith ,

a Managed Payment account as John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith,

and an eBay account as JJJ Smith.

*As you point out, you can't take more money out on your debit card than you have in your bank account. That would make it a credit card.

** Ask the rep if you can blank out the balance on your statement. Since the purpose is basically to confirm that it is your account, the balance is not relevant information. The bank transit numbers, your name and your address are relevant for identification and verification.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

What’s eBays issue

Yeah, one of the oddest things they do at eBay is making copies of peoples' bank statements, passing them around at the water cooler, and everyone has a big laugh.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

What’s eBays issue

@hartungcards wrote:

Yeah, one of the oddest things they do at eBay is making copies of peoples' bank statements, passing them around at the water cooler, and everyone has a big laugh.

I'm darn proud of the $288 in my account.

No shame here.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

What’s eBays issue

I wish ebay put as much effort trying to take down and remove scammer buyers as they do suspicious sellers.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

What’s eBays issue

@pennywiser ,

Thanks to the Inform Act that became law June 27, 2023 all online market places are required to identify sellers. The law introduced by Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois. The reason for the law is to combat the fencing of stolen goods and sellers selling counterfeit items.

They market places are required by law suspend sellers that don't provide the required indentification. While the Inform Act is aimed at high volume sellers many market places including eBay are requiring the information from lower volume sellers also as a precaution. The market places don't went to get fined. 

https://www.kelleydrye.com/viewpoints/blogs/ad-law-access/new-law-governing-online-platforms-and-sel...

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

What’s eBays issue

This is understandable but eBay is going way beyond then just identifying people. They’ve already logged into my bank account website for verification and they said that was cleared. Now they still want a bank statement to clear my debit card issued from the same bank. I doubt this bill that was passed through legislation asks these companies to ask for bank statements to prove someone’s identity. And as far as I knew all eBay and these other e commerce websites has to do is prove it’s you and your account. Not snoop through your spending and how much money you have total. A bank statement provides nothing extra to proving your identity. It does how ever provide information such as the total amount of money you have in your bank account and what you spend your money on and where. Does this bill require eBay to go through your spendings to make sure you didn’t steal that item your selling? Highly doubtful. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

What’s eBays issue

And the only 2 sites I herd of doing this is Amazon and eBay. I took Amazon as a high volume seller website from the start and is why me and many other small sellers either selling personal items or flee market stuff go to eBay. It seems eBay wants to push the small sellers who don’t have business bank accounts out. If I owned a big business with a bank account tied to it then handing out that information would be understandable because all transactions are involved with that business. If pushing sellers like me out isn’t their intent then they need to discern between a person and a business or a personal account with a business account in some way because as it stands I will not provide a bank statement. They can verify my debit card the same way they verified the same checking account that it’s under If not then bye bye. Not saying losing me hurting them at the very least but I can imagine there’s a ton of sellers leaving for this very reason. Funny how there’s no issues when I use that debit card to buy something on their website but when it comes to them looking to give you money opps Houston we have a problem 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

What’s eBays issue

@pennywiser wrote:

And as far as I knew all eBay and these other e commerce websites has to do is prove it’s you and your account. Not snoop through your spending and how much money you have total. A bank statement provides nothing extra to proving your identity. It does how ever provide information such as the total amount of money you have in your bank account and what you spend your money on and where.

... why on earth would you even think they would care about that? You're not special. They don't care what you're spending (or on what) or how much money you have in that particular account. They just want an official bank-issued document that can be used to verify that you are in fact who you claim to be and that the bank account you're saying is linked to your debit card is in fact an account that belongs to you.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

What’s eBays issue

@rugerskick wrote:

I wish ebay put as much effort trying to take down and remove scammer buyers as they do suspicious sellers.

Because they don't report this to any of us, you assume they are doing nothing?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

What’s eBays issue

You know, the Inform Act is government regulation, and when the gov't wants to identify me, they ask for multiple forms of ID ... when I'm going for an ID they ask for multiple official docs to include bank statements, lease, utility bills, etc...

Hmm... maybe gov't regulation wants hard docs providing your name and info attached to your account.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply