cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is this members.ebay.com email address?

What the heck?

I went to box up an order and noticed that the buyer's email address is a random string of numbers (like) followed by "@members.ebay.com"

What is this? I just found an article saying this is to prevent member to member direct contact:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/membertomember-contact-policy?id=4262

But what the heck? Is this new?

The buyer requested a post office hold for pickup on his order. I need to provide USPS with an email address in order to do that. No email, no post office hold.

Will this email address even work from an outside email address (like usps)?

Here is from the article:

"In the majority of cases, we don't share buyers' personal email addresses (since when? I've never seen this before). We replace email addresses with aliases for buyers and sellers to hide personal contact information. When you communicate, your email appears like X@members.ebay.com and is sent through our secure platform."

This has to be new. I've been entering customer email addresses into USPS "hold for pickup" labels forever. This is new as of this morning. My main concern is that this will reach the customer when USPS emails them.

Posting ID
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@aldente28 wrote:

I went to box up an order and noticed that the buyer's email address is a random string of numbers (like) followed by "@members.ebay.com"

My main concern is that this will reach the customer when USPS emails them.

Sites like Craigslist have been doing the same thing for ages.

When the email from the USPS arrives at members.ebay.com, it is forwarded to the customer's real address.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

The buyer needs to request  post office package hold himself.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

The buyer needs to request  post office package hold himself.

No, I have to do it when I create the shipping label. Buyer requests it of me, then I create the label.

Posting ID
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

If you haven't enrolled in Managed Payments, you can find buyer's email address in PayPal's payment received notification message by clicking the email header. Buyer's email address is prefilled as the reply to address.

"What do we live for, if it's not to make life less difficult for each other?" — G Eliot
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@robxznyc wrote:

If you haven't enrolled in Managed Payments, you can find buyer's email address in PayPal's payment received notification message by clicking the email header. Buyer's email address is prefilled as the reply to address.

Just checked wife's MP sale from today.  Buyer's email address is there in "purchase details".

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@robxznyc wrote:

Just checked wife's MP sale from today.  Buyer's email address is there in "purchase details".

Where is "purchase details"? From the orders page I have "view order details", which gets me to a page that includes a "members.ebay.com" email address.

Posting ID
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Hi, yes this is new. In the last few days i saw it  mentioned here in the forums by another seller. Looking for the thread now.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@aldente28 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@robxznyc wrote:

Where is "purchase details"? From the orders page I have "view order details", which gets me to a page that includes a "members.ebay.com" email address.

Manage all orders.

Click on the # under  Order details.

find email.jpg

find email 2.jpg

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@aldente28 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

@robxznyc wrote:

Manage all orders.

Click on the # under  Order details.

find email.jpg

find email 2.jpg

Yes there are still sellers that can see the correct address.  It WILL CHANGE for you too.  It appears they are rolling this change out.  Mine changed on the 21st.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

It's one of those unannounced changes.  I call it learning by SURPRISE!  Seems there is much too much of this going on these days, while Ebay continues to say they are trying to be more transparent.  But somehow they miss the simplest of things.  One can't be transparent if one isn't willing to tell people about a change BEFORE it is implemented.  

Granted this is something other sites do, but that isn't my point.  Ebay tells us they want to be transparent yet they continue to do stuff like this that tells us the complete opposite.

For my account it change to these new email addresses on the 21st.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I just found you can still see buyer's email address by archiving your orders in the orders tab. Then click Archived, you'll see buyer's username/email. It seems email is viewable only for 45 days after the transaction date.

"What do we live for, if it's not to make life less difficult for each other?" — G Eliot
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

the seller has sent me a product I did not order and has refused to communicate while holding my payment. I'm not trying to get the money, I want the product I paid for. Do I have any recourse?

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

File a Return Request for an Item Not as Described in ebay's Resolution Center.  The seller will have to agree and provide a prepaid shipping label for the item's return.  Print out the label, affix it to the package and make sure the counter clerk scans the package.  When tracking shows DELIVERED back to the seller, the seller has 2 days to refund you.  If no refund, go back to the Request and click the option to Ask ebay to step in, to force the refund.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 15 of 19
latest reply