cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What has Happened to Ebay Selling?

Selling on Ebay once was fun and rewarding experience and a good way to good stuff from around the house still in great shape. My last two sales have been difficult / frustrating to say the least. 

First item the buyer refused to pay. After many attempts to reach out the buyer responded with this " oh, I guess no one else bid - I no longer want the item". REALLY? How irresponsible - if you didn't want it - don't bid. 

Second item was a set of trail cameras. Buyer claimed they didn't work properly. Both were confirmed in perfect condition before shipping and again after returned. Ebay would not allow me to refuse return even though the listing was stated (no returns). 

What happened to protecting the seller? I for one will not be using this platform in the future to sell. Too many other options out there that protects the seller as well as the buyer. 

Signed - Disappointed Seller!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Buy it now listings with immediate payment required saves a lot of aggravation and wasted time. I haven't done an auction in years for that reason.

I don't believe there's any online marketplace where a seller can sell something and refuse a return if the buyer says they believe it's not as described. Correct me if I'm wrong on that but even if there were such a place a buyer could just do a payment dispute (charge-back.)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Buy it now listings with immediate payment required saves a lot of aggravation and wasted time. I haven't done an auction in years for that reason.

I don't believe there's any online marketplace where a seller can sell something and refuse a return if the buyer says they believe it's not as described. Correct me if I'm wrong on that but even if there were such a place a buyer could just do a payment dispute (charge-back.)

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

One non-payer and one INAD claim and you're throwing in the towel?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@startingoverkpa wrote:

Selling on Ebay once was fun and rewarding experience and a good way to good stuff from around the house still in great shape. My last two sales have been difficult / frustrating to say the least. 

First item the buyer refused to pay. After many attempts to reach out the buyer responded with this " oh, I guess no one else bid - I no longer want the item". REALLY? How irresponsible - if you didn't want it - don't bid. 

Second item was a set of trail cameras. Buyer claimed they didn't work properly. Both were confirmed in perfect condition before shipping and again after returned. Ebay would not allow me to refuse return even though the listing was stated (no returns). 

What happened to protecting the seller? I for one will not be using this platform in the future to sell. Too many other options out there that protects the seller as well as the buyer. 

Nonpayment has been an issue since the day auctions began on eBay.

False returns have been an issue since 2008 when eBay introduced the Money Back Guarantee. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I sure hope you’re canceling unpaid items citing buyer didn’t pay. You will be credited a fees on the item and give the non payer a well deserved item strike. 
On the other item, if a buyer claims not as described eBays Money Back Guarantee kicks in over riding a no returns policy a seller has. 
Selling on eBay can be fun and then there are times when it isn’t. Don’t let 2 bad transactions spoil it for you. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Many complain about non-payers and recommend using BIN/IPR and eBay has in fact deployed a solution, although it is still in test phase, that will require offerors and bidders to provide payment information before offering or bidding. This equates to basically the same as BIN/IPR, or autopay as some are calling it. However, there are potential tradeoffs. You may see increased cancelation requests or in the worse case situation you send it and then the buyer opens an NAD and you are possibly stuck paying for return postage. 

Be glad it was eBay that handled the claim and the buyer did not open a chargeback with their CC company for NAD. In those cases the seller is probably going to loose, the buyer is going to be fully refunded and the CC company will not require the buyer to return the item. No returns does NOT translate to no refunds. 

Have to semi agree with you on this point. There are things that I will simply not list on eBay due to the risk. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the feedback, points well taken. However FB marketplace will be my first choice going forward.  All sales are in person. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

First item the buyer refused to pay.

You are a returning seller, and well... things have changed.

Auctions make up less than 15% of listings and most of those have Buy It Now or Best Offer options that end the auction immediately.

Auctions have a much much higher rate of Unpaid Items.

You can however set up your Seller Preferences to automatically make an Unpaid Item Cancellation after 96 hours.

Ebay would not allow me to refuse return even though the listing was stated (no returns).

That's always been the case.

No Returns does not mean and never has meant No Refunds. (At least since Billpoint days, remember those?)

At best it means the buyer pays for the return if you demand it before refunding.

At worst it means you refuse to pay for return shipping and eBay makes you refund anyway.

By the way, are you signed up for Managed Payments?

Paypal can no longer be used to process payments. EBay has moved that back in-house like Billpoint and the early days of Paypal, when eBay owned that.

Without your SSN and checking account information, eBay can't transfer payments to your bank.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply