cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What exactly does a Starting price mean ?

I have items to sell but am unsure and can’t find out from eBay whether if I sell via an Auction the “ Starting Price” is the lowest price my item will be sold for if I haven’t got a “ reserve” price set. 

eBay simply answer in reply to the same question that at the end of an auction the item will be sold to the highest bidder.

I simply want to know if I put in a Starting Price of say £75 but receive no bids of that amount or above the price is protected for me ie it can’t be sold to a lower bidder 

Can anyone give me a clear answer 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@3248socrates 

The starting price is the lowest price that the item can be sold for.  Bidders are unable to bid lower than your starting price.

Good luck with your auctions!

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@3248socrates 

The "starting price" is set by you.

If you only receive ONE bid for your "starting price," that is the final price for which the item is sold.  If you receive higher bids, the highest bid wins.

If there are NO bidders, than your item has not sold.

If you place a "reserve" on your item, and your item receives no bids (and your "reserve" price has not been met), eBay will charge you for using the "reserve" feature.

Most eBay sellers do NOT use the "reserve" feature for that reason, and simply base their "starting price" on the lowest possible price for which they are willing to sell the item.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Hi @3248socrates and welcome.

The starting price in an auction is the opening bid. It is the lowest price an item will be sold for if it receives only a single bid. If the listing receives no bids, then no sale occurs and you are free to relist at your desired price. See link below for the policy.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/selling/pricing-items?id=4133#:~:text=Choosing%20your%20listing%20....

Most sellers agree the safest strategy when pricing one’s opening bid on an auction is to set one’s starting price at the lowest amount you will be satisfied with should that item attract just one bid.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

One other thing.  Don't confuse a buy it now price with a reserve.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@3248socrates wrote: ... if I sell via an Auction the “ Starting Price” is the lowest price my item will be sold for if I haven’t got a “ reserve” price set. ...

Yes, it is.  eBay won't even accept a bid that's lower than your starting price.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply