cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird buyer sent me an offer and left phone number, asked me text first before paying.....

A couple hours ago, a 0 rated buyer offered a price on my listing, left a phone number and asked me to text/call though phone before he/she making payment. I texted right away, then he asked about my PayPal address. I asked why he can't pay through eBay, he kept quiet till now. I don't think he will response anymore. I don't understand what this trick for? What's the purpose? Did anybody have the similar thing? What's my potential risk if I gave out my PayPal email address?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Weird buyer sent me an offer and left phone number, asked me text first before paying.....

STOP communicating with someone that is trying to scam you...There is absolutely no reason for him to get any of your info..be careful Ebay doesn't think you are trying to sell something off-Ebay..

Place this person on your BBL..Two thousand transactions I have had on Ebay and I have yet to ever need anything to pay for an item except the buy now button..

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam Scam 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

It is a scam.  I would expect you to get an email, supposedly, from PayPal - very official looking - saying you have been paid and that the funds will be released after you have shipped and upload tracking.  Not a new scam and you are a good target with the fashions you list.

There is NO reason to have to divulge any of that info to any buyer.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Dear sir.

I saw your ad, Ebay listing, Craiglist post, and I love so much the color on that yada, yada, yada.  So, if you are kind, can you provide me with your Paypal email address and perhaps your password so I can leave you more money that what the price for this yada is? Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

latest reply

That's too bad :(. But, who would give out password nowadays? If there is more high-tech trick by only PP email, then I would be shocked.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@chic*swatch wrote:

That's too bad :(. But, who would give out password nowadays? If there is more high-tech trick by only PP email, then I would be shocked.

You might be surprised, but lots of people do, that is why the scam is still in use.  They still catch people with the old 'Nigerian Scam', and that has been around for decades.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

There's more than one scam that works this way.

First, if he talks you into letting him pay directly through PayPal, you don't get eBay buyer protection.

Second, if he sends you email making it LOOK like he made a PayPal payment, then you might ship and then discover he didn't pay.

Either way, do NOT communicate with scammers. It might look to eBay like you are making an off-eBay transaction and you could lose your seller account. Plus, you might inadvertently give the con artist additional personal information.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@chic*swatch wrote:

You might be surprised, but lots of people do, that is why the scam is still in use.  They still catch people with the old 'Nigerian Scam', and that has been around for decades.

Wouldn't be able to catch me on this scam. How am I supposed to tell you my password when I never even remember it myself? Oftentimes takes me a few tries hoping I won't get locked out.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Do not reply and do not end the listing. Ebay will assume you ended to sell outside Ebay and that can and will get you suspended. Put the person on your BBL.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

This "text me" approach is the latest on Craigslist as well.  On top of a potential scam, they'll likely sell your cell number on some crazy spam list.

There is a way to text someone using email:  atTXTdotATTdotNET for ATT or atVTEXTdotCOM for Verizon

They don't care for those.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

@chic*swatch wrote:

Wouldn't be able to catch me on this scam. How am I supposed to tell you my password when I never even remember it myself? Oftentimes takes me a few tries hoping I won't get locked out.

Yeah, sort of like me - If it weren't for a bad memory, I wouldn't have one at all!  Smiley Wink  Smiley Very Happy 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Anytime someone messages you with their phone number and asks you to text or call  with your information it is a scam.  They don't need your PayPal information as all sales are processed through eBay.  Do not get involved with any off site sales either. You can get penalized for communicating with buyers off eBay as well.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

"I don't understand what this trick for?"

To scam you as everyone has said.

If they really wanted to buy it, they would just hit the buy button or make a bid!

" I texted right away"

That was the other part of the trick, now the scammer has your phone number.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

You easily gave out your phone number to this scammer by texting them. So getting people to click links etc. to gain access to personal accounts is not too hard. People fall for it all the time.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply