cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WORKAROUND? "this tracking number is already associated with another active shipment"

This used to be a very straight forward, easy process for providing tracking for combining multiple items purchased separately by the same buyer into one package. After creating a shipping label through the eBay platform for the first item, I use to be able to copy and paste the tracking info, i.e., number & carrier into the second item, using the edit function. Now when I try to put a tracking number into a second item purchased by the same buyer, I get this message: "this tracking number is already associated with another active shipment." I perform this function from the 'manage orders awaiting shipment' tool (window), again I'd merely copy the tracking from the info for the  first order I was combining and paste it into the info for second order I was combining. This no longer works, any suggestions? Best practices? At this time, my workaround is to do this in PayPal, which does not reject the same tracking number, but it causes extra steps and slows me down. Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

WORKAROUND? "this tracking number is already associated with another active shipment"

@sunsync wrote:

This used to be a very straight forward, easy process for providing tracking for combining multiple items purchased separately by the same buyer into one package. After creating a shipping label through the eBay platform for the first item, I use to be able to copy and paste the tracking info, i.e., number & carrier into the second item, using the edit function. Now when I try to put a tracking number into a second item purchased by the same buyer, I get this message: "this tracking number is already associated with another active shipment." I perform this function from the 'manage orders awaiting shipment' tool (window), again I'd merely copy the tracking from the info for the  first order I was combining and paste it into the info for second order I was combining. This no longer works, any suggestions? Best practices? At this time, my workaround is to do this in PayPal, which does not reject the same tracking number, but it causes extra steps and slows me down. Thanks for any help.

It could be a technical problem . I've done the same thing countless of times when sending more than one item to the same buyer  without any issues.  You could try calling PayPal- e bay   because there have been   other problems reported with them lately . Until you get a answer  just keep  doing the work around method   I suppose .  Tulips

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@sunsync 

Is it the same buyer using two different IDs?

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

No, same ID - I guess this could be a temporary problem with the eBay platform because it would be a strange thing to eliminate the function.
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Try this workaround. Copy as normal. Then go to myebay...selling....paid awaiting shipment....now click the drop down arrow by item and choose ....add tracking info then paste.

There have been multiple problems with tracking info from the new shipping page and combined shipping page. I have dealt with it myself and still have the metrics hit to prove it even though ebay said they see it was a glitch on their end and refuses to fix it. Keep in mind if you do not upload tracking on time.....even though you currently can not...ebay will ding your metrics and refuse a fix.

Goodluck.
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@sunsync 

You could also try going to the basic ebay all selling page and enter it there.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Tried that, somewhere along the path it takes us back to Seller Hub, which is where we started. Thanks for your help.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@cashvaluerecovery2011 wrote:
Try this workaround. Copy as normal. Then go to myebay...selling....paid awaiting shipment....now click the drop down arrow by item and choose ....add tracking info then paste.

The problem surfaces when I click the drop down arrow and try to paste in tracking, normally it fills in the carrier automatically; myebay selling takes me to Seller Hub, which is where I started. Have not been able to find a more basic page to paste in the tracking number. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@sunsync wrote:

brian@ebay Has this changed?  I can confirm that about a month ago I WAS able to manually add the tracking number to an additional item ordered by the same buyer.  (they bought 3 items and then 2 hours later bought 1 item and I didn't catch it until I had printed the label for the first order).   If this has been changed it's going to be an issue as many buyers don't know how (or refuse) to use the shopping cart.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Did the buyer send one payment for all items together or did they pay separately for each item?  If they paid separately, did they select different shipping addresses by mistake?  Many buyers have different shipping addresses stored on their accounts and they need to select which one they want at time of payment.  If eBay sees a different address, even if it's the same buyer id, you would get this message.

This is the only thing I can think of that would cause a problem other than an eBay technical issue.  I manually entered tracking for multiple items on Tuesday of this week, with no problems.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@sunsync wrote:

The problem surfaces when I click the drop down arrow and try to paste in tracking, normally it fills in the carrier automatically;

Try restarting your browser or computer, or give the page more time to fully load.

Have a great day
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

I actually had this situation this AM with no problems.

Printed a label for the first order and manually entered the DC# for the other items.

No problem, Worked for me.
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@sunsync wrote:
No, same ID - I guess this could be a temporary problem with the eBay platform because it would be a strange thing to eliminate the function.

Does it appear to be a guest account? I haven't seen this problem myself, but I've read here in the past of problems copying tracking numbers onto other items in a combined shipment that was paid for via a guest account (either with separate payments or one combined invoice; I'm not sure).

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@sunsync wrote:

The problem surfaces when I click the drop down arrow and try to paste in tracking, normally it fills in the carrier automatically;

Try restarting your browser or computer, or give the page more time to fully load.

Also try clearing your cookies/cache.  Many times, clearing your browsers cookies works for many problems.

brian@ebay - hopefully you can chime in on this.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Thanks everyone, all good thoughts. eBay populated the tracking box after the tracking # was entered using PayPal.  To answer some questions, this last worked for us yesterday and the cache clearance and restart are quite frequent, but next time if we have a problem, I'll take the suggestions to clear everything and do a cold reboot.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply