cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variation listings

I am having significant issues with listings that have variations. Items are being sold but are not showing as sold in the listing thus allowing someone else to place an order for items I no longer have. Now I go through every time I have a sale and manually delete the items that are not showing out of stock. This takes a lot  of time to edit the listings every time I sell items. Has anyone else had this happen and if so is there anyway to avoid this happening?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Variation listings

You did something wrong.

If the listing is  set up correctly, you can't buy something that is out of stock.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Variation listings

How long have you dealt with variations?

I have quite a few and they seem to be working ok.....

is it all of them, or one in particular

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Variation listings

I also run a lot of variation listings.

There are some things you need to be careful with, as it can mistakenly put extra counts in.

Now you can edit it a bit easier if you use this way to view your listings:

https://www.ebay.com/sh/lst/active

Once on that page, find a Variation listing you wish to edit:

gator08041971_0-1711591101530.png

Now, click right were it says "# Variations".

gator08041971_1-1711591157050.png

This allows you to more easily modify the listing you are having issue with.

gator08041971_2-1711591203480.png

You can hit edit for each variation here and change the quantity.  Once this is done, as long as your quantity here matches what you have on hand, you should be good from here out.

But its a bit easier way to manage the items.  However if you need to add new variations, you need to do this from the main edit at the far left in the first picture, which is the same as using Revise.

Where people get into trouble is here:

When you go into the main listing to revise your Variation table, you have this page first:

gator08041971_3-1711591331317.png

Here you click edit to change the available options and attributes.

gator08041971_4-1711591359687.png

Now, if I were to add a new attribute like:

gator08041971_5-1711591387610.png

When you go to Update, here is where you need to be careful:

gator08041971_6-1711591415234.png

I never trust this to do it automatically.  It often screws up a lot.  So I choose "I'll do it myself"

Then you have the option after choosing that to setup your photos for the new item:

gator08041971_7-1711591497394.png

Then you add your Combination:

gator08041971_8-1711591556004.png

Just don't forget to Save!

gator08041971_9-1711591582355.png

Then you can save/update out of the listing and it will update.

One of these days I should do a tutorial.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Variation listings

This is what I am saying, If you have a qty of 1 and someone buys it the listing should then say out of stock but not all the items are saying that afterward thus letting someone else buy it.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Variation listings

Over a year and it is multiple listings.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Variation listings

What's the listing and what's the variation @ricksmusicstore ?

Are you aware your listing descriptions say "no international shipping" but you are enrolled in eBay International Shipping and your listings display that option to international buyers?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Variation listings

These were created before international came on line. I have gone in and fixed them all. Thanks for the heads up.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Variation listings

Just a guess (from things I have done)

when adding more items to your list, you should add the new item manually, not letting the program list it.

(this is the option right after you 'create' a variation to an existing list)

Sometimes, it will reset the whole inventory to your original numbers.

Also, a relist resets ALL the numbers to "1" (or the original amount)

I have also found that you should never use "sell similar" or any "template" with variations ...start from scratch, otherwise, it seems that there are "gremlin" lines of code floating around in the listing you copied that rear their ugly heads sometimes...

To this day, I am always checking the counts. The easiest way is check every order closely.

If you start with only "1" in inventory everytime you sell one, there should be a (0) after the 1 sold you sold) in the order details. (multiple quantities)

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Variation listings

Thanks for the info!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply