cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Refuses Help for Media Mail Customers

Since April 18th, the USPS has marked 11 of my medial mail packages "In Transit, Arriving Late".  I have spoken with my local post master, and she was concerned.  While there is always a package or two that seems to go missing, this large of a quantity in such a short amount of time was alarming to her.  She asked me to file a "Missing Package" claim for them all, even if they had not yet reached their 7 day window, because it appeared that there may be a problem with the processing.  Packages were arriving and leaving my local PO, but then were not being scanned after that point.  After filing the claims, and continuing the track the packages, 2 of them started moving, and should be delivered soon.  Unfortunately for my customers, much later than the 7-10 days estimated by eBay.

When I checked back in with the local PO, she recommended I call Consumer Affairs to discuss the possibility of their being an issue at my regional facility.  While polite, Connie was absolutely no help.  She informed me that the 7-10 day window espoused by the USPS, is just an estimate, and not a guarantee and that I really have no right to report the package missing until it's been gone 14 days because, after all, it's just "Media Mail".  Only after 30 days will they consider it "irrevocably lost", at which point I'm out of luck.  No only will they not look for it anymore, they will also not refund my cost because Congress passed a law (she quoted the specific title & number), that says they don't have to issue refunds when service is not completed.  She also made it clear that they are downsizing, so it should be expected that things are going to start running slower and slower and it may take much longer for media mail to get to it's destination in general.  She specifically said, unless it's sent Express Mail, no package is ever guaranteed to be delivered within their time window.

So here are my concerns...

1.  Unhappy customers - we all know media mail goes slowly, but there's only so much patience out there and these people are going to start getting aggravated.  One already filed a case against me without prior contact.

2.  eBay uses the postal services time "estimates" for determining if a package is late.  Is my seller rating suddenly headed down the drain over something I have no control over?

3.  Maybe eBay should be made aware of this new "slower" processing time, and extend it's "estimated" arrival dates to allow both the customer and seller know just how long it might take.

I know there are sellers out there much more experienced with this than I am.  Are you seeing similar happenings, or is this truly a problem with my regional facility?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I ship Media Mail often and have never had a problem with it. It very well could be something at a regional level.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I too ship via Media Mail on a regular basis without such issues.

I suggest to go to USPS.com and send them an email outlining your problem.  I've had to do this before when I could not get resolution at my local level.  It has worked great for me.  They are responsive and in a very timely manner that it may just surprise you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I will certainly try that.  I'm happy to hear that you've had similar experience and found a better solution.  Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@julitalle0 wrote:

I will certainly try that.  I'm happy to hear that you've had similar experience and found a better solution.  Thank you.

Let us know how it turns out for you.  It may be a day or two before you hear back, but you will hear back.  Or at least that has been my experience.  And when they call, it isn't just lip service.  I've been lucky enough to get all my concerns taken care of over the years by doing this.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 5
latest reply