cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwing it OUR Versus Selling - Why do they Do it ?

Ok, I am just wondering for the People who are selling sports cards for 99 Cents and Free Shipping.  Help me if I am wrong, But Why would you loose money on something you are selling just to say you sold it.  To me the Math does not add up!

.99 cent sale

( .49) Cent Stamp

(.15) Item Cost /Top Loader/Envelope and Ink to print  - I think this is a low figure but lets go with it

(.09) Ebay Fee

(.33) Pay Pal Fee

So When I do the math,   You have a NET LOSS of (0.07) Per Card. 

Am I crazy or Is this just a way of Saving the Earth and Recycling Paper ?

I would Rather just Throw the  .99 Cent with Free Shipping Deals Out. 

Any Feeling On this. ?    

BTW- I am not trying to start a drama Session, I am just looking to try and figure out Why people would do this. 

Thank you and Happy Holidays to Everyone

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

On light weight items like cards (especially), the sellers often make sale of multiples where the shipping remains the same. They may also not be including a top loader if they're low value cards.

Also some are doing it to build up their transaction count, among other reasons.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

PayPal micro-payments account (.33) (.10)

I've known a few sellers of old/common sports cards, they run a lot of 99 cent listings, some are Auctions that may go higher (and do for a percentage), some are Fixed Price which are there as "filler". People buy them as add-ons to more expensive cards or they buy  a bunch of them both of which reduce the shipping cost per card substantially.

It's not a way to get rich but you can pick up some easy pocket change and it's worth it when somebody buys 20 or 30 cards.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Plus it's a way to get a lot of common cards moved out when you buy a lot and you only want the few good cards in that lot that are worth more.  Get your money back, make a little profit after expenses, rack up some feedback numbers, and bring eyes into your store... where you have some more exciting, and expensive, cards waiting.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@518sportscardsandtoys wrote:

( .49) Cent Stamp

(.15) Item Cost /Top Loader/Envelope and Ink to print  

If they have a day job with a boss who does not monitor expenses, they may be getting this part for free 🙂

Also, if you are talking about auctions then you have to take the seller's entire activity into account, not just the ones that end at 99 cents. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

It's an old textbook marketing scheme that apparently is a common practice (or funnier yet) or,  the marketing plan they adhere to.

While you lose money on every sale, the volume of sales makes up for the individual losses. 

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

end of the year sales at a loss are quite common. get the product off the books, dont have to pay taxes on inventory. sales at a loss lower the sales at a profit, less profit, less taxes. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply