cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is exactly why I try to avoid listing auctions. I think people may not understand the process

I had some older inventory that I had pulled from listing since it didn't sell as well along with a few customer returns so I decided to run some auctions to basically give them away. I was quickly reminded why I avoid them. One lady won a specific dress and wouldn't pay or respond to messages. Then I see she bid on another auction which was the same identical dress. Made absolutely no sense to me so I messaged her again asking if she meant to do that and she still had a dress she hasn't paid for. I also told her a UPI would open the next day since she has failed to pay or respond. So of course no payment or response. I can only assume she was trying to simply bid on the second to get it even cheaper.

Then I have another person bid on a size small dress. I had no other sizes for this dress and clearly said in the listing that it was a size small. This person ends up winning and then sends me a message saying, "I need a size Large." So I send him a message saying that I did not have any of sizes other than the small as listed. I also informed him that auctions are not interchangable. Meaning you can't bid on one item, but then expect to get a completely different item other than what the listing stated. This has happened 2 recently. Then I had another request to cancel from another after several bids.

Has this happened to you? I don't understand. I'm just trying to make sense of it. I normally avoid auctions because of non paying bidders, but these I just cannot understand.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This is exactly why I try to avoid listing auctions. I think people may not understand the process

Sorry you are having such issues with your auctions.  One thing I noticed you don't put the size in the title -- might explain the one buyer's confusion with thinking she could order her own size, never realizing you only had one -- and it wasn't her size.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

I know nothing about selling clothing but see you have a bunch of dresses listed for 99 cents. Even if they are bid to a few bucks, why bother? With fees and shipping, you're luck to break even. Simpler to drop them off at Goodwill and avoid the hassles.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

BUDGET..

I think  those  bidders  may have  understood  the process.   And  they  were just trying to give you   hard time.   However,  if you  continue to  start  bids on  these dresses at only   99 cents---I think  you  will  attract the  worst kinds of  buyers  out there.    And this is  going  to  hhappen  again.   Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Yes, I hate to just throw them out. That's what I meant about basically giving them away lol

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Yes, I hate to just throw them out. That's what I meant about basically giving them away lol I was just trying to give them away to someone who would like them. 

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

She has a dress she hasn't paid for? You didn't send it to her before she paid, did you?
Belle
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@southernfriedbelle  The OP is an experienced seller.  I sincerely doubt she made a newbie mistake and sending without payment.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

I don't think this is an auction problem but a clothing problem. I haven't sold clothes in many years! I tried it on & off about 10+ years ago. I just had too many problems with people complaining of sizes even though I measured everything very carefully. I had complaints of flaws that there are no way I missed. Then many requests for returns because even though it was like new they wanted clothes with tags. My listings didn't say it had tags. It was just way too frustrating.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

LOL Well, I HOPE not! 😄 I guess I misread it. It's been a lonnng day!
Belle
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Sorry you are having such issues with your auctions.  One thing I noticed you don't put the size in the title -- might explain the one buyer's confusion with thinking she could order her own size, never realizing you only had one -- and it wasn't her size.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Ebay suggests that sellers start their auctions at .99 cents, which is a recipe for disaster. Auctions are not my cup of tea.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@notactive2021 wrote:

Yes, I hate to just throw them out. That's what I meant about basically giving them away lol

No Goodwill near you? Let them do the selling. Don't have to throw them out. Don't have to deal with problem buyers.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@notactive2021  We found a local Auction house that takes stuff on consignment ... last month we boxed up a bunch of stuff that sat for a year on eBay without selling  ... had about 11 items including individual pieces plus box lots, etc.  Just stuff we were ready to move out to make room for new inventory  ... made $ 104.00.  All of the lots represented were profitable from previous eBay sales so it just added to the total profit on those items.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

My stuff is new, but it was just clothing so I'm not sure it would bring that much

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

No, I did not and ended up cancelling her other bid because of her not paying for the first one

Message 15 of 23
latest reply