cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The very sad tale of my 9 auctions FAIL FAIL FAIL - the EPILOGUE

"I had 9 auctions end the other day and 6 of them sold, awesome right? Well not so much. Right away the "winning bidder" of the HIGHEST PRICE item and another "winner" wants to cancel their 2 purchases and of course eBay's brilliant return system only offers two choices (to accept or not accept) no explanation as to why the bidder is reneging.

Out of the other 4 auctions two buyers paid and I still have two auctions that are unpaid. I can ONLY HOPE I get paid for the other 2 auctions but honestly I'm not holding my breath.

SERIOUSLY eBay's auction format...EPIC FAIL! GTC listings are STAGNANT! HELLO"

5/30 update - So one of the unpaid items was never paid for and one was....Today I received an email from the one unpaid item "person" (25,000+ feedback) who finally paid after I filed an UPI against them this is what it said "New message from:  arrived safely, please post great feedback for me and will do same for you, thanks again"

This is what eBay has devolved into folks blackmail and gangster like mentality. Good luck everyone!

Good luck to ALL the small sellers out there!
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I believe your listings are suppose to be in the adult only category of Ebay.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@popeye3165,

I guess using the auction format and being successful, depends on the categories you sell in.  I sell vintage and collectible items & toys and do not have the issues you've had with cancellations and non payment.  I average about two UIDs a year, usually for my lower cost items.

I blame ebay for the failure of the auction format.  They allow certain Far East sellers to shill constantly, without sanctions. They still suggest new sellers should start items at very low prices "to encourage bidding", which often ends up with sellers cancelling sales, and they do nothing about bidders with high numbers of bid retractions (mostly invalid).   All of those things have lead to mistrust of ebay auctions. 

As for the GTC hurting sales, mine were stagnant too.  I started dabbling with a different site earlier this month, and sales picked up, so now all of my BINs are listed there. 

As for the buyer who only paid after a UID was opened, writing you "...arrived safely, please post great feedback for me and will do same for you, thanks again".  If they leave a non positive, you may be able to claim feedback extortion.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I guess using the auction format and being successful, depends on the categories you sell in.  I sell vintage and collectible items & toys and do not have the issues you've had with cancellations and non payment.

Same here. I sell music and music memorabilia, and cancellations and nonpayment are not even a blip on my radar.

I blame ebay for the failure of the auction format.

I used to blame sellers who used auctions for items that were not well-suited to the auction format ... but now I've become one of those sellers. Auctions with BIN are now the only option left for someone who does not have the time or patience to monitor GTC listings and manually end them before they renew.

The good news seems to be that my auctions are selling at roughly the same pace as my fixed listings used to ... at least for now.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@popeye3165 wrote:

"I had 9 auctions end the other day and 6 of them sold, awesome right? Well not so much. Right away the "winning bidder" of the HIGHEST PRICE item and another "winner" wants to cancel their 2 purchases and of course eBay's brilliant return system only offers two choices (to accept or not accept) no explanation as to why the bidder is reneging.

Out of the other 4 auctions two buyers paid and I still have two auctions that are unpaid. I can ONLY HOPE I get paid for the other 2 auctions but honestly I'm not holding my breath.

SERIOUSLY eBay's auction format...EPIC FAIL! GTC listings are STAGNANT! HELLO"

5/30 update - So one of the unpaid items was never paid for and one was....Today I received an email from the one unpaid item "person" (25,000+ feedback) who finally paid after I filed an UPI against them this is what it said "New message from: sto%^$#%&((($#16 (25,014)"arrived safely, please post great feedback for me and will do same for you, thanks again"

This is what eBay has devolved into folks blackmail and gangster like mentality. Good luck everyone!

who said life was easy? if this is what you spend your time worrying and griping about i want your life

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

I believe your listings are suppose to be in the adult only category of Ebay.

The auctions I am referring too were DVDs and PS2 games thanks for your reply.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@forgottenape wrote:

who said life was easy? if this is what you spend your time worrying and griping about i want your life

I'm sorry but your ad hominem isn't helping any.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

OK, This one has me stumped. After looking at your auctions I see nothing wrong. I sell in the same categories (only no games). I haven't been listing much on-line (too busy with my B&M). About the only thing I can come up with is you seem to have run into a Bluto or two and a pack of Whimpey's.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Very sorry to hear about your auction difficulties. 

Took a look at your listings and noticed your Terms of Service included a restocking fee. Last year when eBay changed their policies regarding returns, they took away that option for sellers. (Free returns can assess partial refunds.)

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/simplified-returns.html

"Restocking fees will no longer be a return option."

Message 9 of 9
latest reply