cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terapeak Question

I haven't used Terapeak in the past but decided to try and see what the trending prices are for some items I have to adjust accordingly. When searching for a similar item that I have listed - 11 results show up - none of which is mine - when there are almost 1,800 results when doing a search on Ebay.

What are the 11 results telling me - are they just taking a sampling for comparison? 

How can I best utilize this tool?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Terapeak Question

@tunicaslot wrote:

I haven't used Terapeak in the past but decided to try and see what the trending prices are for some items I have to adjust accordingly. When searching for a similar item that I have listed - 11 results show up - none of which is mine - when there are almost 1,800 results when doing a search on Ebay.

What are the 11 results telling me - are they just taking a sampling for comparison? 

How can I best utilize this tool?

Thanks in advance!

Terapeak can be a bit annoying to work with, partly because the interface doesn't work well, and partly because it takes a lot of trial and error to target the right items nowadays.

Since eBay took it over, it's very hard to find specific items. I'm assuming it tries to find catalog matches for items, where in the past it looked for matching specific phrases in titles/etc. EBay has also tried to make it harder to find out what sellers are selling what (by blanking out seller names other than your own, etc). In some ways they've gutted it, I don't know if intentional or not 😕

Our best use of it is typically to search by category of items, that gives us better results than trying to match specific items. 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Terapeak Question

I'm not sure just what you are trying to do on Terapeak. Can you give me the search term you put in?
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Terapeak Question

Like ZAMO  mentioned it is very frustrating to use at least for me. I have to spend at least 10 minutes or so tweaking the titles to try and find the information I am looking for which is the PAST SOLD Prices for a specific item, and they group similar items to the specific one I am looking for, the data only goes back a year. I have found it to be pretty much a waste of time.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Terapeak Question

Tagging - thanks to all who responded. I usually price by looking at similar solds - take a price in the middle - may add 10% to allow for a BO or sale. Someone mentioned if I used Terapeak and I thought maybe that would give me a better idea of how sellers that have sold their items formatted the titles and priced them - so it may not work how I was hoping to use it.

I actually searched for Kansas City Chiefs Sweatshirt - got 11 results - when I added vintage - got 2 results. 

Since I'm not sure how much longer I'll be selling on here for a living - I may just forego Terapeak  and start pricing below the midway point and see what pans out.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Terapeak Question

What is your setting for the little calendar in the upper right corner of Terapeak?
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Terapeak Question

I have mine set for a year's worth of data....I see over 2600 solds for Kansas City Chiefs sweatshirt.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Terapeak Question

@tunicaslot wrote:

Tagging - thanks to all who responded. I usually price by looking at similar solds - take a price in the middle - may add 10% to allow for a BO or sale. Someone mentioned if I used Terapeak and I thought maybe that would give me a better idea of how sellers that have sold their items formatted the titles and priced them - so it may not work how I was hoping to use it.

I actually searched for Kansas City Chiefs Sweatshirt - got 11 results - when I added vintage - got 2 results. 

Since I'm not sure how much longer I'll be selling on here for a living - I may just forego Terapeak  and start pricing below the midway point and see what pans out.

So typically we use Terapeak for looking things at a larger scale. We used to use it for direct comparisons as well, but not since eBay took over. The poor interface got even worse in their efforts to block information.

Researching categories, gauging interest, top sellers in categories, competitors, trending listings of competitors, etc. Those type of things are what we use Terapeak for. You can search your primary category, see how you're doing compared to competitors. See who the top selling competitors in your category are. Assess their business models, what items are selling best, etc. Think of it kinda like a "macro level" rather than a "micro level".

For what you describe, for pricing, we can't really use any tools for that. Especially with how the eBay search/catalog works. What we do in this case is literally just search our own items, check our search placement, our competitors. We look for any sort of trends that seem to be weighing heavily in the category, and who is placing highest.

We also track our competitors. We have spreadsheets where we log recent information to see if their items are selling better than ours at the prices they set. Since we can't use Terapeak for this part, we manually log the date, sales amount, price. Then check again in the coming weeks. 

With the tariffs in effect since October, this has become a much larger job. Items are costing 10-12% more, but many sellers are trying to use their "old stock" at cheaper prices as long as possible before having to order items and pay tariffs. But others are taking advantage of increased prices and putting up their prices. Long story short, many sellers are changing their prices daily, so we have to daily check for some of our more competitive items.

Since search sometimes weighs things like returns or shipping more/less heavily, you have to constantly search your own items nowadays. No way around it. EBay's search seems to change every 2 weeks-1 month lately. There's no such thing as "best practices" anymore, you may have to constantly adapt your business model.

I wish there was better advice I could give than this.  But with how volatile eBay's search is, to assess things on a micro level, it takes a lot of searching on eBay... which is extremely frustrating because then you end up noticing all the problems eBay actually has in this area. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Terapeak Question

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
I have mine set for a year's worth of data....I see over 2600 solds for Kansas City Chiefs sweatshirt.

TY - that was what was missing as it was only set for a week - boy do I have a  lot to learn.

I so appreciate everyone's help!!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Terapeak Question

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

So typically we use Terapeak for looking things at a larger scale. We used to use it for direct comparisons as well, but not since eBay took over. The poor interface got even worse in their efforts to block information.

Researching categories, gauging interest, top sellers in categories, competitors, trending listings of competitors, etc. Those type of things are what we use Terapeak for. You can search your primary category, see how you're doing compared to competitors. See who the top selling competitors in your category are. Assess their business models, what items are selling best, etc. Think of it kinda like a "macro level" rather than a "micro level".

For what you describe, for pricing, we can't really use any tools for that. Especially with how the eBay search/catalog works. What we do in this case is literally just search our own items, check our search placement, our competitors. We look for any sort of trends that seem to be weighing heavily in the category, and who is placing highest.

We also track our competitors. We have spreadsheets where we log recent information to see if their items are selling better than ours at the prices they set. Since we can't use Terapeak for this part, we manually log the date, sales amount, price. Then check again in the coming weeks. 

With the tariffs in effect since October, this has become a much larger job. Items are costing 10-12% more, but many sellers are trying to use their "old stock" at cheaper prices as long as possible before having to order items and pay tariffs. But others are taking advantage of increased prices and putting up their prices. Long story short, many sellers are changing their prices daily, so we have to daily check for some of our more competitive items.

Since search sometimes weighs things like returns or shipping more/less heavily, you have to constantly search your own items nowadays. No way around it. EBay's search seems to change every 2 weeks-1 month lately. There's no such thing as "best practices" anymore, you may have to constantly adapt your business model.

I wish there was better advice I could give than this.  But with how volatile eBay's search is, to assess things on a micro level, it takes a lot of searching on eBay... which is extremely frustrating because then you end up noticing all the problems eBay actually has in this area. 

zamo - you've been most generous with the information you have put out on the board and you've helped many of us - big and small. I do wish there was some sort of consistency when it comes to the algorithms. The changes as to what is weighted is so hard to grasp. A  seller applies everything that we think Ebay wants and then has reduced sales why someone else charges shipping but may have the 60 day return policy vs 30 and has consistent sales. These past few weeks have been horrid - the worst I've ever experienced here.

I am a thrifter so many of my items are low cost acquisition but I feel terrible for those that have actually spent money on a bunch of inventory as it's so much more of a blow to change up their inventory if they can even afford to do so.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply