cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Suggestions' on Best Offers?

When I went to make an offer this morning on a $24.90 item ... there was a message in the offer window saying something like, "Your offer is more likely to be accepted if it is $18.68". 

[A quantity of 3 items were available.  I had intended to offer $20 originally for one ... but I decided to offer $18.68 (each) for all three.  The offer was accepted immediately.]

Does anyone know whether this message was from eBay ... or something the seller  had put in the listing?  I'd like to have more info about it, since I had not seen or heard anything about this change in how offers were presented.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

@house*of*paws 

The message is %100 from eBay.

I ignore all that crap from eBay.

eBay has no way of knowing what the seller wants

or will be happy with.

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

"Your offer is more likely to be accepted if it is $18.68". 

@house*of*paws 

From a seller's standpoint, that message is quite disconcerting.  It is like the 'bots' are telling you (the buyer) the minimum amount the seller has their listing to 'automatically accept'. 

But eBay wouldn't do that...right?  /sarcasm

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

It's from ebay. I get these all the time as a seller and their price statistics are a joke.  This is ebays way of making a quick sale anyway they can.  I'm sure the stats are programmed by clueless ITs who have no idea about business and what it entails.  Costs or other wise.  But hey, you got a great deal!  Enjoy your purchase.

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

Just like eBay's advice to start auctions at 99¢, I would ignore it.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 43
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

"Your offer is more likely to be accepted if it is $18.68". 

@house*of*paws 

From a seller's standpoint, that message is quite disconcerting.  It is like the 'bots' are telling you (the buyer) the minimum amount the seller has their listing to 'automatically accept'. 

But eBay wouldn't do that...right?  /sarcasm

Totally my first thought........... eBay would do anything to get those fvf even screw a seller

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 6 of 43
latest reply

Well, of course your offer will be more likely accepted if 25% or more off, rather than 10%-20% less - and ebay gets their money faster, no matter how the seller feels.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 7 of 43
latest reply

Agreed, but the real issue here is why is this happening ? Is it eBay or has the seller been able to organise this ?

And if it is eBay, ARE they going by a sellers automated lowest offer accpeted ?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 8 of 43
latest reply

If they are revealing a Seller's minimum range to foster a sale, that is pretty low-handed. 

One more reason to avoid best offers....

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 9 of 43
latest reply

Since Ebay knows the average selling price they automatically put that in your offer as a suggestion. They are saying most sellers will not give a discount less then that.

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

Except it doesn't work unless the seller has put that amount as acceptable.I have seen that message,made an offer and it was rejected.

SO the seller still needs to be in that ballpark

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

Best offers.

I don't like it as a buyer. I will avoid listings with best offer. It's a waste of time. 

I don't like it as a seller. I don't use it as a seller. 

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 12 of 43
latest reply

SO the seller still needs to be in that ballpark

@goldair1_4 

Thanks for your response.  How long ago was it that your offer was rejected when you used the "suggested by eBay" best offer amount?   I am thinking that the OP is suggestive of a new "enhancement" of some sort. 

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

At least 6 months ago. 

What is also interesting is that with another seller,I went way beyond the recommended amount by ebay and the seller accepted. 

I actually think it's rather pointless as it has no real benefit 

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Best offers.

I don't like it as a buyer. I will avoid listings with best offer. It's a waste of time. 

I don't like it as a seller. I don't use it as a seller. 

I have best offer on everything, why would you avoid my listings just for that?   Does it make me a creep or something? I don't even use auto decline, I will consider every single offer.

Just because some best offer sellers are asshats doesn't make all best offer sellers asshats.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 15 of 43
latest reply