cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange story. What do i do now?

I sold a Filipino (chocolate covered cookie) a few weeks back. I had no idea anything was wrong until the package came back yesterday. It was returned "no such address".   I looked at the tracking and this package took a wild ride.  Check it out...

1. Mar 1, 2021
    3:23pm
    DELIVERED TO ORIGINAL SENDER
    EWA BEACH, HI 96706
  2. Mar 1, 2021
    5:01am
    ARRIVAL AT UNIT
    EWA BEACH, HI 96706
  3. Feb 26, 2021
    9:37pm
    DEPART USPS FACILITY
    ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87121
  4. Feb 26, 2021
    7:54pm
    PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
    ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87121
  5. Feb 26, 2021
    12:43pm
    ALBUQUERQUE, NM 87121
  6. Feb 25, 2021
    12:37am
    OMAHA, NE 68108
  7. Feb 24, 2021
    10:15pm
    OMAHA, NE 68108
  8. Feb 24, 2021
    2:09am
    DEPART USPS FACILITY
    LINCOLN, NE 68501
  9. Feb 23, 2021
    11:47pm
    LINCOLN, NE 68501
  10. Feb 23, 2021
    10:14pm
    ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
    LINCOLN, NE 68501
  11. Feb 23, 2021
    10:12pm
    ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
    LINCOLN, NE 68501
  12. Feb 23, 2021
    9:10pm
    DEPART USPS FACILITY
    OMAHA, NE 68108
  13. Feb 23, 2021
    9:07pm
    DEPART USPS FACILITY
    OMAHA, NE 68108
  14. Feb 23, 2021
    8:51pm
    DEPART USPS FACILITY
    OMAHA, NE 68108
  15. Feb 23, 2021
    5:13pm
    OMAHA, NE 68108
  16. Feb 22, 2021
    6:13pm
    NO SUCH NUMBER
    LINCOLN, NE 68501
  17. Feb 22, 2021
    1:59pm
    NO SUCH NUMBER
    LINCOLN, NE 68503
  18. Feb 22, 2021
    6:10am
    OUT FOR DELIVERY
    LINCOLN, NE 68503
  19. Feb 21, 2021
    12:38pm
    ARRIVAL AT UNIT
    LINCOLN, NE 68501
  20. Feb 21, 2021
    12:45am
    ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
    LINCOLN, NE 68501
  21. Feb 21, 2021
    12:34am
    ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
    LINCOLN, NE 68501
  22. Feb 20, 2021
    11:27pm
    DEPART USPS FACILITY
    OMAHA, NE 68108
  23. Feb 20, 2021
    10:56pm
    DEPART USPS FACILITY
    OMAHA, NE 68108
  24. Feb 20, 2021
    9:10pm
    OMAHA, NE 68108
  25. Feb 12, 2021
    11:27pm
    DEPART USPS FACILITY
    HONOLULU, HI 96820
  26. Feb 12, 2021
    9:54pm
    HONOLULU, HI 96820
  27. Feb 12, 2021
    8:39pm
    ORIGIN ACCEPTANCE
    EWA BEACH, HI 96706
  28. Feb 12, 2021
    5:31pm
    AVAILABLE FOR RETURNS AGENT
    EWA BEACH, HI 96706
  29. Feb 12, 2021
    6:40am
    PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT USPS AWAITS ITEM
    EWA BEACH, HI 96706
  30. Feb 12, 2021
    3:35am
    Tracking number provided

Under normal circumstance, if this were a widget, i would have no problem dealing with this situation.  But this is a very delicate piece of chocolate/cookie that has been around the country and back.

If the buyer agrees to pay to have it re-shipped to the correct address, i'm not sure i would want to send her THIS PARTICULAR ONE. It must have been in all kinds of environments from a hot Hawaiian mail truck to a cold airline cargo hold,. to who knows what kind of conditions in Nebraska and New Mexico, then back to Hawaii again!  Do i take a loss on this one and send her a new one?

If the buyer does not want to pay to have it re-shipped and i issue her a partial refund, then i'm stuck with product i can' re-sell.  I guess i could eat it?  😉

What would you do?
Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

...or you can give it to me and I can eat it...LOL!!!  Nah Nah Nah...only joking...

I think your idea is spot on...if she wants the item, she obviously has to pay for shipping again but I would send her a new box and eat the old one...literally.  😁

Did your  item come back with mileage rewards?  Given all of the traveling it did it should have...

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@inhawaii Because it's something edible I wouldn't bother to resend the same one, but that's me. It would depend on my actual cost for the item as to how much I would refund since the address issue is the buyer's fault. If my cost was minimal I would send a replacement cookie providing buyer will pay for new shipment. Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

From your post, it appears that the buyer has not communicated with you. I'm surprised that they didn't say anything seeing that it took 8 days without notification from HI to get to NE. Most buyers may have submitted an INR, or at least contact the buyer when they see no tracking movement for 2 days. 

As for the item, does the wrapper has a "freshness" date, or "best if eaten by" date?  From what I see in your posting, you indicate they are fresh from Europe, but honestly, how "fresh" are they? I understand your concerns about temperature and all that, but lest be honest, they certainly where in a cargo hold from Europe, as well as HI temperature. I don't think it is spoiled and its still eatable, but i leave that at your discretion. 

If buyer comes back, you should certainly ask for shipping again, seeing it was not your fault that the item was undeliverable. You can google the address and see what it comes up, at least that will give you an idea if something is odd. Mahalo.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

...your buyer gave you a wrong address...

...send him/her a copy of this mailing history records...save it for your own file just in case...you are well-protected for any claims as item not received...this had happened to me couple times before...

...I don't think you have to refund any money...unless you run your business with emotion, not logic...

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

The story gets more interesting.  I just googled the address.  It's a valid address!  There is a purchase history and even a picture of the house.  This is starting to look like this was a USPS screw up. 

Which makes me think, if/when the buyer inquires about her item and asks me to ship it back to the SAME address.  Who picks up the tab for re-shipping?  Ebay wont pay.  The USPS wont pay.  The buyer wont pay.  Guess who's going to end up paying?   😉

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@inhawaii You did your part, you did nothing wrong here. Technically you are clear and don't have to refund because the issue was with address, per the scanning from USPS. Buyer can pursue a refund via eBay if they choose. Personally I believe you are doing the correct thing by wanting to refund your buyer, and that's before you checked the address. 

Part of it is good customer service, part of it is making a new customer happy so they will hopefully return, and part of it is creating good karma for yourself. I would reach out to the buyer as the item was returned already. I would explain about the address issue per USPS and offer to refund minus the fees. That's just me. 

If buyer still wanted the cookie, I would relist it and ask them to purchase again after refunding for the first. I would want a new and clear transaction for another cookie. If buyer didn't want to pay shipping a second time, I would politely decline a new sale, but still refund original minus fees. Just giving you another opinion....

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@lamber9347 comments are spot on. Wait for refund request and deduct s/h, if interested, new transaction. As for buyer, their complaint is with the post office. If you do indeed need to send again, I will go directly to the post office with a google print out indicating the address is a valid one, it will be on them that they couldn't deliver, and they shouldn't charge you extra postage. This one is interesting. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

...my final answer is...the buyer...

...furthermore, the buyer needs to see her local Post Office Postmaster to file complaint against the mail carrier by using this history shipping records as proof of neglect in service...

...so many high seniority postal workers have been retired recently due to the virus and the impact of massive packages forced the USPS hiring new workers without proper training to refill the gap...that leads to so much negative or poor performance...

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

If you take the package to the post office and show them the address is good they WILL reship at no cost to you.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@frodobagginskennedy wrote:

If you take the package to the post office and show them the address is good they WILL reship at no cost to you.

I'll bet you $5 the answer is NO.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

It may all be up to the PO.  I have had this situation and they reshipped at no cost to me.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

...the problem is not from the sender's end but another (the buyer's PO)...

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

should not matter whose end the issue is on the USPS made a mistake and they should take care of the customer.  stop laughing.

"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 14 of 14
latest reply