cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Sales Tax

Hello All- the state of MI will require online sellers to collect sales tax starting Oct 1, 2018. I already collect  the MI sales tax. My question- How is eBay going to handle all different state sales taxes? Does anyone know? 

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

State Sales Tax

Thanks for supplying the date on Michigan Sale Tax. Do you have a link that explains the updated requirements?

Bruce

Message 31 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

This will end when the bean counters in the various state capitols realize that the expenditure of their citizens' tax dollars in their attempts to enforce this is greater than the amount of taxes they recover.

ROTFLMAO!  Since when has anything been repealed because it cost more to administer than is taken in?  

Ducky, in our own state it costs more to administer the 411 grows than the current tax, same with the alcohol and cigarettes.  The state publishes how much they get from sin taxes, but not how much it costs to administer and regulate.   

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 32 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

@toppscore wrote:
California Taxes ~ Three types I've notice.
1) Selling on EBay, does CA have minimal amounts
such as $100,000 or 200 transactions?
. . . . . before needing to report CA state income tax?

Income tax and state sales tax are two different things.   If you make ANY profit on your eBay sales (after deducting business expenses and cost of goods), you need to pay California state income tax--no matter how small the profit.  There are no lower limits.

2) If I do collect CA state sales tax, who do I give it to
if I am not a business?

If you are buying things and reselling them for a profit, California considers you a business.  State sales tax is paid via this agency.  You will need to visit this site and obtain a state resale number.

http://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/

3) If I sell only personal items, do I need to claim income to be taxed?
Thanks for replies. 

If you are only selling personal items for less than you paid for them, you have no profit and thus do not need to pay taxes.

The above are merely generic answers.

I would suggest that you consult a local tax professional, provide details of your situation, and take their advice.

Message 33 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

ebay are going to let the sellers take the fall on the taxes you will be required to collect sales tax in all the states if you make 10,000 or sell over 200 items. From what I have read ebay is sending files out at the end of the year to all states on who sells on ebay and you will be contacted to prove that you didn't sell that many items or meet the money amount

Message 34 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

@annscartoons wrote:

ebay are going to let the sellers take the fall on the taxes you will be required to collect sales tax in all the states if you make 10,000 or sell over 200 items. From what I have read ebay is sending files out at the end of the year to all states on who sells on ebay and you will be contacted to prove that you didn't sell that many items or meet the money amount

Once again, if you have no holdings or any other physical presence in any state or country demanding this, you can SAFELY IGNORE THEM, as they do not represent you and have absolute ZERO authority over anything you do.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 36 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

Contacted eBay aftet about 3 days of waiting I asked them about the new lay for online sales tax all I got was a link to they site stating all sellers are responsible for paying any and all taxes. So I guess that is the answer to the question eBay is not going to help any seller with the new law. Time to sell on Etsy where they are helping somewhat on the taxes

Message 37 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

I don't understand what sales tax my account is talking about here then

Message 38 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

I agree, what a mess!!!! I sell pre-owned clothing and to make ppl pay another sales tax is ridiculous!! I may close my store as well. Too much!

Message 39 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

Once again, if you have no holdings or any other physical presence in any state or country demanding this, you can SAFELY IGNORE THEM, as they do not represent you and have absolute ZERO authority over anything you do.

My experience with an out of state taxing entity came about when a show I participated in remotely (my product was there, I was not) did not remit tax in time. The small amount I owed was quickly ballooned with large fines and threats of liens against my house. The state tax boards are out for the large jackpots of fines and the right to seize and sell your house or other property, not the piddly original amount that you owe, and it is very profitable for the states. They do have a full toolbox to get money and have had it for quite some time. Just speaking based on personal experience.

Message 40 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

@featherpainter wrote:

My experience with an out of state taxing entity came about when a show I participated in remotely (my product was there, I was not) did not remit tax in time. The small amount I owed was quickly ballooned with large fines and threats of liens against my house. The state tax boards are out for the large jackpots of fines and the right to seize and sell your house or other property, not the piddly original amount that you owe, and it is very profitable for the states. They do have a full toolbox to get money and have had it for quite some time. Just speaking based on personal experience.

I had  heard  that    NH  and the other 3 non-sales tax states  plan  to push   that   sellers don't have   fiscal  presents  should not collect sale tax  .  

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

Now on the eBay Tax Info Page:

eBay sales tax collection

Based on applicable tax laws, eBay will calculate, collect, and remit sales tax on behalf of sellers for items shipped to customers in the following state(s):

• Washington - Effective January 1, 2019
  • Minnesota - Effective January 1, 2019
  • Connecticut - Effective April 1, 2019
  • Pennsylvania - Effective July 1, 2019
  • Oklahoma - Effective July 1, 2019
Message 42 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

Do the sellers know that the buyers are paying these state taxes?
Message 43 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

@walleye_diver wrote:
Do the sellers know that the buyers are paying these state taxes?

What does that matter?

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

State Sales Tax

I read for Oklahoma on nov. 1 st they are hiking the 10 grand to 100,000 or 200 transactions which is sales would keep smaller sellers under the radar. what info about a seller does the state see, when ebay collects taxes on my behalf to send to my state

Message 45 of 60
latest reply