cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard vs Economy Shipping

When sticking a stamp on an envelope, does it matter which you choose?

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Considering you have over 1000 feedback as a seller, I am assuming I don't understand your question.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Expedited shipping is Priority Mail.

Standard shipping is UPS, FedEX or USPS First Class.

Economy shipping is USPS Parcel Select, Standard  Post or Media Mail. 

To be able to stick a stamp on it then that would be Standard Shipping.  What method is in the listing? 

You have no seller protection when you stick stamps on it and mail it letter rate.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I use economy shipping for many listings now.  I use it for small inexpensive items I can put in an envelope and mail with a stamp or two.  I also use it for bulkier items that I am not sure which shipping method will save me money as I embed the shipping in the cost with "free shipping".    I have found that in this age of zone shipping that the cost can vary greatly depending on whether I use Fedex or USPS.  Listing as economy shipping gives me that option to choose.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Sticking a stamp on a envelope, is technically first class, which is technically "standard" shipping. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Yes, but I suppose it would only be 1st class up to 13oz because they are not using the commercial rate that eBay provides up to 16oz. Furthermore, using stamps I think puts you in to the post office retail prices which could ultimately cost more for the same package over so many ounces, and with no tracking your really out on a limb.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Yes it always matters which method of shipping you indicate that you will use on your listing. If you are only using a stamp on an envelope, that is considered first class. It is designed by USPS for only letters or cards with an insignificant weight of 1 oz. Once there is weight higher than that, or if you are sending anything that makes your envelope looked stuffed, then the PO can and will reject it, sending it back to sender. If in doubt, simply check with your local PO in person and they will tell you the same. Best of luck to you....
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

The weight limit for First Class letters is 3.5 ounces.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply