cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold to new buyer and 0 feedback, nervous.

So I am a long time eBay seller, 25 years to be exact and I’ve sold thousands of things without incident (most of which was in the first 15 years of my account) but this one has me just a bit on edge. A buyer that just created his account today just did a “buy it now” on a $1000 item I have and instantly paid, the system does show the payment processing. I know everyone has to start somewhere, it’s just a bit unusual that he finds $1000 item on the same day he joins eBay. Just soliciting opinions, what course of action would you take on this transaction?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

You can always contact ebay as a precautionary measure and tell them you are concerned about this order because its high dollar and zero fb buyer who just joined today, and have them at least put it on their radar from your comments.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

At the moment the course of action is to handle it like any sale. You have 2 day handling so you don't need to ship until probably July 5th (Monday is 1 business day from today and Tuesday is a holiday).

You will know by then if there is some sort of issue with the payment. If you have any sort of suspicious contact from the buyer then you might have some valid concerns but if the payment has been cleared just ship.

A person buying a set of BMW wheels could be the very type that has never bought on eBay or hasn't in many years and simply opened a new account.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

it’s just a bit unusual that he finds $1000 item on the same day he joins eBay

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They joined eBay because they found the item they want to buy on eBay, it is not the other way around.

I had many 0 feedback buyers buy on the same day they join eBay with no issues.

As long as you handle the sale right, you'll be ok

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

I have had buyers create an account after seeing my listings while doing a google search. I never had any problems whatsoever with the sales. That said make sure you insure your item so just in case it goes missing in "shipping" your covered. Also pack it well and non-descript as possible to take a damage claim off the table. Take pictures during the packaging and mailing process and get a receipt from the post office when you drop it off. When you sell something of that cost you take the risk of attracting a scammer but unless you see something that seems off enjoy the sale and congrats on a big sale! Good Luck

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

If your brand new buyer paid then ship. Don’t forget to use signature confirmation on the order.I have many buyers who buy with guest accounts or just opened an account the day they purchase with no issues. Granted, I don’t sell $1000.00 items but still no issues. The buyers I have problems with at times are long time eBayers. 

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Buyers create accounts to buy something high dollar all the time especially if it's a good deal.

If eBay tells you to ship, then ship.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Treat it like any other sale but package carefully, get insurance and signature  confirmation. 

Many people browse ebay without an account. When they see something the like/need they create an account. I have quite a few 0 feedback or <5 feedback buyers buy from me without problems. 

People don't come to ebay to buy popular, commonplace things or daily necessities. You get those at your local B &M stores or on Amazon (free faster shipping) 

Ebay is a marketplace of last resort to get specialty things (especially used) that are hard to find or more expensive on other sites. 

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Most scammers won't put out any money and I don't think a set of wheels would be very high on a scammers list.

They want items they can turn over pretty quick and a set of wheels for a BMW might take awhile to get rid of.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Other posters have already posted get a signature confirmation to stay withing eBay policy on items over $600.00. Very good advice. Hopefully all goes well with your sale.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

I’ve also had several 0 feedback customers purchase, but not $1000 items and not joining the same day as the purchase. I am not very aware / educated of the scams (chargeback, etc) that are perpetrated these days, just doing my due diligence. Guess I’ll prob wait my 2 days and see if the payment gets credited, and request a delivery signature - I don’t really want a $1000 set of wheels just left on a porch…

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

This is great insight - I did most of my selling in the “old days”, late 90s / early 2000s when internet searching wasn’t nearly as robust as it is today. 

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

it’s just a bit unusual that he finds $1000 item on the same day he joins eBay

Not really.

He may have been doing a Google search for months and finally found The Thing at a great price on eBay of all places, which he had only heard of through that Weird Al song.

BMW owners may look down on our little garage sale, until they get a flat tire.

I'd worry about the Free Shipping on such a heavy set of tires.

Have you given him a price including Signature Confirmation of Delivery?

Don't ship until you get paid, and YOU decide the shipping service.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

I'm not sure what USPS (or UPS or FedEx) calls it, but Canada Post has a No Safe Drop  option for recipients.

Basically the package is never left unattended, but only a Delivery Notice telling the buyer where and when they can pick up the shipment.
Marking the shipment, Signature Confirmation is much the same.

And tell your customer you will be using it "for his security".

Message 15 of 32
latest reply