cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold high value item, buyer returns on the last day. What's his angle?

I sold a high dollar bank note, graded, which was delivered a month ago today.  Why not initiate the return the day after, or even the week after delivery?  I know it's permissible, but what's the buyer's angle in opening the claim on the last possible day?  Is it just last-minute syndrome?  Or is it an attempt to disrupt my business as much as possible?  Or something else?  

Thanks.  

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Perhaps he had it re-graded and was not happy with the result?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I would guess that the buyer works, they are busy and just haven't got around to looking at the item until now. 
What ever the reason they have for waiting until the last days to open a return, they are returning it. I doubt they are looking to disrupt your business.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@comet.vintage wrote:

I sold a high dollar bank note, graded, which was delivered a month ago today.  Why not initiate the return the day after, or even the week after delivery?  I know it's permissible, but what's the buyer's angle in opening the claim on the last possible day?  Is it just last-minute syndrome?  Or is it an attempt to disrupt my business as much as possible?  Or something else?  

Thanks.  

Maybe the buyer thought they could flip the note for a profit but could not.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Buyer thought they were going to resell for a profit and when that didn't work out in a month returned to get their money back and try something else?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I think this is the most likely reason. Pretty lame business model. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Hard to say.   In some cases a person needs money.  They look around the house for items they can " shop back " to get cash.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@comet.vintage 

Without intending to sound uncaring, I'll say it's a risk you take when you have a 30-day return policy. The buyer isn't violating your policy. 

Hopefully, the buyer is returning it for remorse and will pay return shipping. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@comet.vintage wrote:

Hope its not "something else" - I guess you'll find out soon enough - We stopped listing here due to the ease of theft - keep your fingers crossed - Best of luck and keep us posted if you would.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Remorse. People are return happy and most websites allow them to do that for forever time frames.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Probably needs money and returning it was the way to go.

I would actually block the buyer.

That used to be where Littleton Company did coins and notes on approval and you bought what you liked and returned the rest...ha...all done without tracking. LOL.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@comet.vintage wrote:

I think this is the most likely reason. Pretty lame business model. 

Years ago (maybe close to 20 years ago) i had a customer that would come in and put high end guitars on layaway. Most of the time they would get the guitar out of layaway within 30 days and sometimes they would want an extension. After a month of back and forth, i found a listing for one of my guitars on Ebay that was on layaway for the customer. He actually used my photos and descriptions on the Ebay listing. He would sell them and take the money to pay for the layaway. Nothing surprises me anymore on what people are capable of. Honestly it did not bother that much that he was able to sell via Ebay (which i did not) it was how he represented the gear. (used my descriptions and pictures from my site) Things that were not original he would omit in his listing to build it up as 100 percent original. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Why not initiate the return the day after, or even the week after delivery? 

Because he can.

Or is it an attempt to disrupt my business as much as possible?

I sincerely doubt your buyer is trying to "disrupt your business as much as possible".

Or something else?  

It could be anything. No one here can read minds.

• He was on vacation
  • He is lazy
  • He never opened his mail
  • It was delivered to a lazy neighbor who just got it to him
  • He is conflict-averse
  • He has buyer remorse
  • His wife is nagging him
  • He suddenly needs money
  • He broke it
  • Was trying to resell it and it fell through
  • Gave it as a gift but recipient did not want it
  • Wanted to give it as a gift but broke up with his girlfriend
  • Wanted to give it as a gift but his wife died
  • He has dementia and his son is returning it

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Nagging is a legitimate reason. 😂

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Good stuff!  Thanks. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply