cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Sales

Sales are not great this month, usually January is a good month for me. Any one else experiencing a major dip in sales recently?  I do utilize Promoted listings, I hate that I have to, but it usually makes a huge difference in sales...just not recently. Any thoughts or ideas to get the ball rolling?

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Slow Sales

I am holding about steady on eBay but my other venues are on an uptick. Best advice I can offer is to diversify across multiple platforms and venues. A number of years ago eBay used to account for about 80-90% of my sales, through continued diversification to other venues and platforms that percentage is now 20% or less. Some of my diversification was driven by eBay's ever expanding list of prohibited and restricted items as well as the VERO program. 

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

@rmorrisvintageandmore wrote:

I hear you, it would be a slow transition, I think. I still have untold amounts of unlisted inventory, it's here, I might as well try to sell it. I rely on eBay as a main source of income and I have for the past 10+ years, it is just getting too sparse and erratic. I will take another job if I need it, but I honestly don't think I could handle a job and eBay together and take care of the house and kids on top of that. Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it!

Do you sell only on eBay? If you do, that's not really a great way to go anymore, and hasn't been for a while. If that's the case, you might want to try expanding your reach first since you have a lot on your plate already. See how that goes - it takes time to get traction on other sites but it's pretty easy to do. If you've already done that then [never mind lol].

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

I no longer use eBay's Promoted Listing scheme.  I hate to admit but it was too complicated for me to grasp.  Instead I promote my listings myself by running frequent ever-changing sales.  That way the money goes into the buyer's pocket.  I use the Markdown Manager.  Sometimes I even bulk edit to raise prices first - raise prices by 15% and then offer 25% off.  It benefits both me and the buyer.  It's made a big difference for my bottom line.

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

I've almost decided price doesn't matter (within reason).  
I had around 130 "switches" all different functions, different vehicles, different makes, models. 
Most had been on eBay well over a year.
Prices were $6.50 to $14.50 (most were $9.99).
  I ended them all, waited a week, then switched some words around in the titles, re-arranged the pics.
  Submitted them all fresh, at $24.50.
  Immediately ran a 50% off sale for 30 days.
  Sold 22 of them at $12.50 in that 30 days.
   Sold 4 more the next week at $24.50.
 Have not sold any more in the last 3 weeks.
Right now, It's more about being seen than price.  And me ending, tinkering, re-starting had more to do with being seen than adjusting prices

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

@rmorrisvintageandmore wrote:

Do you plan to stick around on eBay, or do you have an eBay alternative in mind? I'm about ready to throw in the towel and get a regular job. I love selling on eBay, but it doesn't seem sustainable anymore.

Yes I plan to stick around selling on eBay but I am currently working towards some differences in what I sell here and will get that worked out this year.  

We were Buyers starting in 2007 for our kids and then in 2015 I helped my father liquidate my uncle's estate.  It was then that I researched what we had and decided to try selling some of it on eBay ... the stuff flew off the shelves.  In 2016 I decided to try some buying and reselling on the side and viewed eBay as a potential additional cash stream for retirement years.  I was working full-time in my own business at the time so it was really a part-time side thing.  

Ironically it grew pretty fast and I was able to do buying and reselling from local auction houses. I ran mostly auctions ending on weekends so the shipping end would not interfere too much with my regular job which was covering 5 states in a sales role. 

So even at the beginning of the eBay experience I would buy lots at auctions and sell the good stuff on eBay and then recycle the other stuff back through local auction houses in box lots or in some cases just buy something at one auction knowing it will sell good at another auction house bases on their regular customers.  During that time period I was doubling and tripling my money.  That was a great mix until Covid hit and ALL auction houses were shut down.  Many had to spool up to online sales fairly quickly.  My sales job came to an abrupt stop as manufacturers closed their doors to outsiders for almost a year.  I shifted all my efforts to the online and auction sales and after the first 6 months of Covid things started to move again rather well. 

So now I am winding down one business, have another part-time job in the auction world due to some of my acquired expertise in certain areas and consign with 3-4 auction houses on a regular basis.  When the eBay sell through rate doubled and tripled I pushed inventory through the auction houses to keep cash flowing.  So while that may be more then you expected it's important for anyone in the buying and reselling business (be that part-time or full-time) to have alternatives that they are always or regularly working on or experimenting with. 

I pretty much know why my eBay sales have been slowly declining and some members on this thread are circling around the reason too ... it has to do with Promoted Listings coupled with the changes eBay made in early 2022 when the fully launched PLA (promoted listings Advanced), changed the way Views are counted and doubled and tripled the "Suggested" ad rates for PLS (Promoted Listings Standard).

I had great success with PLS for a number of years until PLA fully launched.  I would run quarterly 30 day campaigns on ALL my BIN items with one common fixed Ad rate.  I averaged 2-3 sales per day during those.  Then when those three changes happened in early 2022 my PLS dropped to at or under 1.5 average sales per day and in between my 30-day quarterly campaigns my BIN sales fell off the face of the earth. 

This went on all of 2022 and well in to 2023.  I regularly had 30-30% of my listings with (0) Views in the last 30 days and items with 0, 1 and 2 Views consistently between 50-60% ... although recently eBay hit a new record there with hiding - burying my listings and the 50-60% jumped to 71% ... 

So the math is simple, if half or more of your items have virtually no visibility what are the chances things will sell???  That's a loaded question of course.

So part way through 2023 I ran a 17 day test PLS campaign and jacked up my Ad rate to at or above eBay's inflated "Suggested rates" ... BAM ... average daily sales jumped back up to 2-3 per day, just like the old days.  The problem of course is the total FEES of over 23% kills my target margin.

So in 4th quarter last year I decided to STOP using PLS so I did not run my normal 30 day campaign ... care to guess what happened?  I received not ONE but TWO of the messages below:  "We've missed you, try Promoted Listings Standard again"

I was like WHAT???  Oh yes, for those who don't think the programming monitors how Sellers sell they need to think twice.  And the second pic below shows what was sent January 25th, another plug to use Promoted Listings Standard again ... right around the time I would normally run my 1st Quarter 30 day PLS campaign.

Screenshot (342).png

Screenshot (480).png

So right now I am trying to wait out their AI programming until it finally realizes that Mr Lincoln is no longer playing the PLS game despite them burying and hiding my listings in hopes I will cave and run a campaign with ridiculously high Ad rates ... I have monitored and proven all that I need to in order to see what is going on.  Most of my sales now come from the auction format and my BIN sales are still lagging way behind where they should be.  

Sorry this was so lengthy but it was not a simple answer to your question and perhaps this will encourage others to keep track of exactly what is happening when their sales tank ... during the last two years of decline I have pushed more inventory "elsewhere" than at any time in the past ... 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 20 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

So in 4th quarter last year I decided to STOP using PLS so I did not run my normal 30 day campaign ... care to guess what happened?  I received not ONE but TWO of the messages below:  "We've missed you, try Promoted Listings Standard again"

I was like WHAT???  Oh yes, for those who don't think the programming monitors how Sellers sell they need to think twice.  And the second pic below shows what was sent January 25th, another plug to use Promoted Listings Standard again ... right around the time I would normally run my 1st Quarter 30 day PLS campaign.

I wouldn't make too much of that and suspect that was simply a timed announcement. I get the same thing on Poshmark. They'll send them out periodically. I doubt they're tracking and monitoring you save whether PLS is toggled on or off triggering automatic reminders.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 21 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I wouldn't make too much of that and suspect that was simply a timed announcement. I get the same thing on Poshmark. They'll send them out periodically. I doubt they're tracking and monitoring you save whether PLS is toggled on or off triggering automatic reminders.

@chapeau-noir 

Nope, I used PLS once per quarter or years and then the first quarter I stopped I got those two messages around the time I would normally run my 4th quarter PLS - roughly mid-Nov to Mid-Dec to cover black Friday, cyber Monday and the general Christmas shopping period. 

Same thing this quarter, get the message near the time I ran my 1st quarter PLS campaigns ... sorry but I proved what I suspected, others can think what they want or do their own testing, their choice.  I could accept the occasional dip in sales over the years, yep, that's normal but not what I have experienced over the last 2 years.  

Read the first message I got twice, "We've missed you - try Promoted Listings Standard again"  ... yeah, Big Brother is watching, he just has a different name these days.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 22 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

I can't say I have.  My sales dipped because I wasn't listing new items over the Holiday. But, since I started listing again, my sales have shot back up.

I have had 1-2 weeks, here and there, when slow sales happened and didn't seem to make sense.  Hopefully you get in supercharge mode again soon!

Maybe add some new stuff or have a 25% off sale on old, stale, stock.  That gets me rocking again (not just on the sale items).

Kim
Message 23 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

Very sorry to hear sales have slowed down.  I was a customer for 20 years with 100% feedback.  Recently the International Shipping Hub in Illinois mixed up my purchase with another item from a completely different seller and buyer. My purchase had been opened at the shipping hub and switched with someone else's order. A new return address sticker with the Shipping Hub's address was put on the item. The ebay agent suggested the seller mixed the items. No, it was the shipping hub. Then they suggested sending the item back to the hub to get a refund. There was no information as to who the original seller was. It would just sit at the hub. So why? After explaining to 2 agents for 1 hour and 45 minutes. I finally got a refund. I will no longer buy from US sellers. US shipping via the International Hub is too expensive, takes too long, not reliable and it's too difficult to receive a refund for their mistake.  I am sorry for US sellers.

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@chapeau-noir 

Nope, I used PLS once per quarter or years and then the first quarter I stopped I got those two messages around the time I would normally run my 4th quarter PLS - roughly mid-Nov to Mid-Dec to cover black Friday, cyber Monday and the general Christmas shopping period. 

Same thing this quarter, get the message near the time I ran my 1st quarter PLS campaigns ... sorry but I proved what I suspected, others can think what they want or do their own testing, their choice.  I could accept the occasional dip in sales over the years, yep, that's normal but not what I have experienced over the last 2 years.  

Read the first message I got twice, "We've missed you - try Promoted Listings Standard again"  ... yeah, Big Brother is watching, he just has a different name these days.

Date triggered - it's very easy to do, I could probably write the procedure myself and my programming is very rusty. What I would do is just delete those messages, as I have done on other sites where I have gotten similar urges ("List!" "We miss you...have you listed lately?" etc. etc.)  and stop looking over your shoulder. With eBay eager to capitalise on those PLS, of course they're going to get right on the messaging. If I stopped my PLS, I'm certain I would get a similar message (as I've gotten on Poshmark) and I'm a completely insignificant no-account seller here.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 25 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

@cedarmom-17  From the buyer side, is there a way for you to tell if a seller is in the eBay international program or not? I bought into the EIS program but have a very low threshold for reverting back to my old method of simply shipping internationally myself (particularly to Canada - I only live about 125 miles from the border).

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 26 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

@mr_lincoln  Thank you so much for sharing!  It's so helpful.

Local auction houses!!  I need to do that.  I have large items, not shippable, that would do great.  I haven't had time to list on FB or some other local sales site.  I think Auction Houses will be the answer!!!

I automatically do 5-7% PLS on all my items PLUS run ad campaigns.  They still send me marketing messages to use it, lol.

The extra costs are eating in badly.

I started selling on another venue.  It's cheaper and offers more services.  Every item I'm about to list or markdown, I compare what it will sell for on both sites.  Few items are going on eBay now because buyers don't pay as much and eBay's cumulative costs are higher.

I think your warning about having multiple sales venues (and suppliers) to stay alive over the long haul, is excellent!  Going to look up auction houses now.  THANK YOU!!!

Kim
Message 27 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

Yes I have old very little...last year was bad....I don't know what's the problem...sitting tight waiting for new growth to come about.

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

sold is my word NOT OLD!!!!!

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

Slow Sales

I was like WHAT???  Oh yes, for those who don't think the programming monitors how Sellers sell they need to think twice.  And the second pic below shows what was sent January 25th, another plug to use Promoted Listings Standard again ... right around the time I would normally run my 1st Quarter 30 day PLS campaign.

Strange I have never used PL and have never gotten anything like mr_lincoln posted. 

Message 30 of 40
latest reply