cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver items - clean or no clean?

For those that sell silver items. Silver or silver plated I have some questions. Speculation also welcome.

1. Do you guys find that when you are selling a non scrap item weather sterling or plated, do you find that it sells better, for more, or quicker if its cleaned and polished vs the patina left on it? What is the over under? how much faster, how much more?

2. Where do you draw the line between an item that is scrap and an item that is worth selling at an item price? Seller appeal? Hard numbers from the sold section?

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

I much prefer the natural patina.

Message 2 of 67
latest reply

Have you checked completed listings?  That might help with your question.

Some may prefer the natural patina, and feel that if it is to be cleaned, they prefer to do it themselves.  Others might feel that they prefer it bright and shiny.

I don't know which view is more prevalent but it may be a case of severely hurting the item's value by attempting to clean it.  I can recall things on Roadshow that might have had very attractive valuations but for the fact the seller decided to "fix" them.  That may or may not apply to silver.

Message 3 of 67
latest reply

@second-chance-sa1es wrote:

For those that sell silver items. Silver or silver plated I have some questions. Speculation also welcome.

1. Do you guys find that when you are selling a non scrap item weather sterling or plated, do you find that it sells better, for more, or quicker if its cleaned and polished vs the patina left on it? What is the over under? how much faster, how much more?

2. Where do you draw the line between an item that is scrap and an item that is worth selling at an item price? Seller appeal? Hard numbers from the sold section?

I guess it would depend upon what the non scrap item is.  I have sold sterling silver herringbone necklaces and bracelets and used my silver polish cloth to shine it up so it looks nice.    There are other items such as an old / vintage tea pot that I left as-is and mentioned in my listing that I did not polish it up as I would prefer the new owner do that her/himself.   

I would make sure to take LOTS of photos of whatever it is from every angle, give exact measurements and specify whether the item is vintage or new.   

I would even open the lid and take a photo of the inside (if possible) if it's a tea pot or cup or something else.  

I have also made sure the clasps on my jewelry open and close properly.  The last thing I ever want is to sell something and not have the clasp work.  

The only time I would sell something as scrap is if it is broken and then I would make sure to say so in the title and the description and perhaps depending upon what it is, list is as for parts.

I only ever put up auctions and was really never unhappy with the outcome.  

I never did BINs or Best Offer because I was never sure of its value and always preferred to let those who really wanted it bid it up, if possible.  

If it didn't go up really high then perhaps my expectations of its value was off.  

Message 4 of 67
latest reply

It depends on the item.

A coin - no way.  It diminishes the value greatly.

Flatware or the like that the buyer is likely going to use?  Absolutely.

And those silver dips are generally not great.  If very heavily tarnished, it'll just turn the tarnish white and you'll still have to polish anyway to remove the haze.   They are also corrosive.

I use Maas or Wright's

- Suzanne -
Message 5 of 67
latest reply

1. Do you guys find that when you are selling a non scrap item weather sterling or plated, do you find that it sells better, for more, or quicker if its cleaned and polished vs the patina left on it?

Back when I was selling a wider variety of estate-sale finds, if I knew how to clean the widget properly (and here I'm talking things in general, not just silver), I would do it. Otherwise I would leave it as-is, and state in the description that "I would rather leave cleaning this to someone who knows how." Which was true, actually.

Message 6 of 67
latest reply

excellent answer thank you.
Message 7 of 67
latest reply

As for your first question, sgca912 in message 5 hit the nail on the head.

"2. Where do you draw the line between an item that is scrap and an item that is worth selling at an item price? Seller appeal? Hard numbers from the sold section?"

First, I always research "Sold" listings in completed auctions of the same or similar item that I'm selling to see what they have sold for. Unless I feel that I can get at least 20% or 30% more by selling it on ebay than I can by scrapping it, I will scrap it. With the hassles and stress that come with selling on ebay, it's just not worth netting the same price on ebay as I can get for scrapping it

Message 8 of 67
latest reply

nooooooooo I know better than to polish a coin! omg I cant believe people still make that mistake. In this case it is small and large serving trays, nothing real old, some of it late 60's some of it very ornate and some relatively plain. most of it is EP I believe nothing overly valuable but probably too big to sell for silver scrap. (not enough silver content most likely)
Message 9 of 67
latest reply

Excellent point. In this case I am not sure some of it is Mayflower, some of it is Oneida silver and one piece is Leonard Silver (older I think late 60's)
Message 10 of 67
latest reply

Silver is quite different from silver plate.

Because of the thin layer, using the same technique on the first can easily damage the second.

Message 11 of 67
latest reply

How would you recommend it be dealt with?
Message 12 of 67
latest reply

Are your items sterling silver or silver plate?

You can google cleaning techniques based on your item.

I know with silver plate you have to be as gentle as possible.  You cannot use anything abrasive.

Message 13 of 67
latest reply

Excellent point. In this case I am not sure some of it is Mayflower, some of it is Oneida silver and one piece is Leonard Silver (older I think late 60's)

Something else to keep in mind:    If you're pieces have monograms (someone's name or initials) inscribed on them, the price will almost always be significantly less than it would be for the same pieces with no monos on them. If you do sell some silver pieces on ebay that are monogrammed, make sure to mention it in the description and also photograph a closeup of the mono as well.

Message 14 of 67
latest reply

I never clean silver personally, though I do always say I will let the buyer clean it.  I do not know if I am messing up the item and would rather let the buyer play.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 15 of 67
latest reply