cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I move to a third party picture host ? Advice needed

Hey all,

I have a question regarding the use of pictures in a listing.

I would like to have more controll over the pictures i have made for my listings.

After a listing ends, its usually stored for some time on the ebay server. This makes it possible to view sold listings etc. Eventually the ended listing 'disappears', or at least it should disappear together with its pictures.

However, I have noticed that pictures i have made are still comming up in google picture search, even very long after the listing ended. This is mainly caused by the ebay cache on some specific ebay sites; it turns out that some ebay sites (countries) have a long(er) life cache and my pictures are still visible in listings on these sites that have ended sometimes more then a 18 months+ ago.

Until now I have allways used ebay to host the pictures (upload to ebay when making the listing), which is the main reason for the pictures still comming up in google picture search, i assume.

My assumption is that, when i use a hotlink to a third party picture hoster (Im not using pictures in my description, only the 'normal' listing pictures), that when I remove the used immages from the hosting site after the listing ends they will also disappear in the cached ended listings I mentioned above.

Is this correct?

Id like to know, as this would be the argument for me to start using a third party host.

I have read some things about the third party hosted pictures and I understand that these should be HTTPS on ebay since november this year.

I assume this also goes for 'normal' listing pictures if theyre third party hosted (so without the use of pictures in the description)

Which third party immage host (preferrable free) which supports HTTPS and has a private space (user/pass) can you recommend to me. Also about this subject ive been reading, but im having a hard time figuring out which site is best for ebay third party hosting (HTTPS, free, fast, reliable)

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@dtexley3 wrote:

You can't use a "link" in the pictures, it will always import the photos from where ever you specify and host them on eBay.

True, even if you self-host, ebay picture services typically caches a copy of it (if for nothing else than the gallery photo)...In theory they're supposed to be deleted 30-60 days after an active listing utilizing them has ended

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You can't use a "link" in the pictures, it will always import the photos from where ever you specify and host them on eBay.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

When you list here, you give eBay the rights to any and all content in your listing

Including the pictures.

What you ask cannot be done.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

True, even if you self-host, ebay picture services typically caches a copy of it (if for nothing else than the gallery photo)...In theory they're supposed to be deleted 30-60 days after an active listing utilizing them has ended

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I understand that ebay allways makes a copy to their own server ?

Im very okay with ebay using my pictures, off course 🙂

The thing is that every now and then I see pictures i made appear on other websites, people using them. They must have copied them from ebay, but I think most of them were found using google picture search linking to these cached ended listings (ended a long time ago), still with life pictures in them.

So, is there any way to prevent listing pictures to be visible after the three months of an ending of a listing? From what I understand in your writing is that using a third party host is not the sollution.

Which brings another question, what are the advantages of using a third part picture host for the licting pictures in general?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@mycollection-to-yourcollection wrote:

So, is there any way to prevent listing pictures to be visible after the three months of an ending of a listing? From what I understand in your writing is that using a third party host is not the sollution.

Which brings another question, what are the advantages of using a third part picture host for the licting pictures in general?

No, there is no way to prevent eBay from caching, showing, using, abusing, selling your photo.

The advantage to using a 3rd party photo host is that if you relist the item > 90 days in the future, or on another site it's easy to access the image.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I suspect here that eBay retains the right to archive your listings for as long as they want, which would include the photos. In other words, you don't get to remove or delete any of the content that you uploaded as part of the listing/sale. While you might have originally listed an item with third-party hosted photos, eBay likely makes their own backup copy at listing time in case of later disputes (including court actions).

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Third party anything on eBay is what causes most of the technical issues we have. I wouldn't advise it.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Allright, with your help its all very clear now white_check_mark  And i guess nothing will change slight_smile

Thanks a lot everyone !

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Once your picture is uploaded to the internet - anywhere on the internet - it is there forever.  It doesn't matter who is hosting the picture. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply