cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Have Set My Minimum Auction Bid Higher, Or Is It Okay To Let It Grow From $.01 ?

So, I created a 10-day auction listing for a sports card that is worth about $80.00, with an initial bid at $.01, but I'm thinking I should have made the initial bid about half of what I'd like to get for the item, around $70.00. I can't go back in and change it, because I already have two bids, making the current auction up to only $1.25. But, I have 11 watchers and five days left. So, I'm hoping that eventually, as the it gets closer to Tuesday, they'll start bidding up to around the price that I think it's worth.

Should I be worried or am I just being impatient?

Thanks for any advice! 🙂

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Should I Have Set My Minimum Auction Bid Higher, Or Is It Okay To Let It Grow From $.01 ?

Setting a high starting price is always a bad strategy, IF your item is one that garners attention then you will attract more bidders with a low starting bid... And if your item is one that doesn't garner much attention you'd be better off setting it as "Buy It Now" (BIN).

Auctions involve risk, do not set up an item for auction if you're not willing to let it go for whatever the winning bid may be, even if the winning bid turns out to be far below what you would like to see. But it may get more than what it is worth too, most often auctionable items that garner attention will end up selling for about what they would've sold for anyway but auctions are definitely more exciting than BIN sales.

Also an auction sale has an end date, your item either will be sold by that day or not but with BIN sales you may end up waiting a long time for a sale. Pros and cons to each method, auctions may attract buyers to look at your other items as well, especially if it ends up as an exciting auction (with lots of people).

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

Yeah. I had fun watching the countdown. I congratulated the buyer and thanked them for the sale. Like I said, I pulled it from a pack. So, nothing lost here. Just like the other non-Mariner cards that I own, I take care of them and store them carefully, but they really hold no sentimental or emotional value to me. However, If they are a Rangers or Gallo fan, like I'm a Mariners fan, they just got a nice deal and I hope they enjoy the card.

Thanks for all of the advice. It helped me to understand the Ebay selling process more. I appreciate it. 🙂 

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

The buyer was able to win the auction, and the autographed card, for $20.50. It was a fun experience and I'm happy for them. 🙂

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

Yeah. If they are a Rangers fan, or a Gallo fan, like I'm a Mariners fan, I'm glad that they were able to win the auction for $20.50. It was a fun experience and I'm happy for them. 🙂

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

@choicecards2021 wrote:

I'm hoping that eventually, as the it gets closer to Tuesday, they'll start bidding up to around the price that I think it's worth.

If you list at 99 cents, there is a chance it will sell for 99 cents.

What matters is what other people think it is worth, not what you think it is worth.

If demand is low, bargain hunters will be out hoping to get it cheap.

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

Very Risky, because it could actually sell for a very low price, If your willing to accept that?

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

Might want to pick one of this thread's replies as 'Best Answer' so people cruising the thread titles will know this one isn't still waiting for advice.  😉

Message 37 of 37
latest reply