cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent Wrong Item to 2 different Buyers

Hey eBay community, I have a bit of a conundrum.

New Seller Here.

I sold 2 phones recently and mixed up the phones with 2 different buyers.

Phone A sold for $450

Phone B sold for $150

Buyer 1 bought phone A, but received phone B

and Vice-Versa with Buyer 2.

Buyer 1 opened a return request “wrong item sent”.

Buyer 2 hasn’t opened the package yet. Will do so later today.

Completely my fault. 100%. I am prepared to eat the cost of making this right by my customers.

I only struggle with how to do so.

It seems Buyer 1 is prepared to work with me with my mistake.

Buyer 2, I am not 100% sure yet. If Buyer 2 decides to keep the item then it complicates things.

What are my next steps?

Thanks for helping.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If buyer #2 is honest, he'll return the wrong ($450) item but he won't be obligated except by conscience.

I think anyone who sells long enough makes this mistake eventually. 

The way I would handle it is to send both buyers return shipping labels (at seller's expense) and have them ship the phones back to you. That way, you'll know that both return them and that each gets the correct phone when you reship.

If #2 doesn't return it, you're stuck giving #1 a refund and apology. And in that case, #2 would also get a special place on my BBL.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

If buyer #2 is honest, he'll return the wrong ($450) item but he won't be obligated except by conscience.

I think anyone who sells long enough makes this mistake eventually. 

The way I would handle it is to send both buyers return shipping labels (at seller's expense) and have them ship the phones back to you. That way, you'll know that both return them and that each gets the correct phone when you reship.

If #2 doesn't return it, you're stuck giving #1 a refund and apology. And in that case, #2 would also get a special place on my BBL.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Send buyer 1 a prepaid return label while you work things with buyer 2.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

"I think anyone who sells long enough makes this mistake eventually. "

Oh how true. I will never forget the first and hopefully last time I made this mistake.  I was lucky, the buyer who received the expensive jewelry instead of a shower curtain was kind enough to reach out and let me know what happened. I was able to send return labels to both buyers, they returned the items to me and I mailed both items out again to the correct buyers. I apologized (more than once) and totally owned my mistake. I actually received great feedback from both - but sure would have understood if I had not - now I check and double check.  Lesson learned. 

I think of this situation every time I hear a story about a dishonest buyer - there are many examples of buyers who do the right thing and forgive seller errors.  

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

It seems they are both willing to work with me.

Buyer 1 already opened a return.

Buyer 2 is awaiting instructions.

If I have them both do “return item/wrong item”, is that the correct route to go?

send both buyers return shipping labels (at seller's expense)” - I would like to do this, how would I do this. 

I would also like to expedite it if possible.

Thanks for you help! 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

You need to send each buyer a prepaid return label.  It's important that the items be returned to you.  Do not let either buyer send the correct item to the correct person, although it seems like a good and simple idea.  It isn't.  

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Return label should be provided by eBay (at your expense) as soon as you "accept" the return.

There is an option to send your own, but I always go with letting eBay do it.

There is no "insurance" with an eBay "return service" label. If you want insurance you need to choose to send your own label

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

This has just happened to me after 20 years on Ebay.

A buyer was recently ordered one blanket but was sent two 100.00 blankets. 

I let him know the wrong blanket was due to arrive in two days, and his ordered blanket would arrive in 3 days with Priority mail tracking.

Tracking shows parcel was "given to person at door".

He never would answer me until a week later,

SAID HE NEVER RECEIVED EITHER BLANKET, but would not file a claim against me because these things happen and the mailman in Memphis, Tn. probably stole it because it happens all the time and I shouldn't be upset because he isn't. He buys and sells on Ebay. What do you think about this seller?

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Insurance not needed. So I guess that means that I should instruct them to follow through with them doing “return/wrong item” on their end then? That is what I am picking up.

Thanks for the help!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@allohioantiques 

I think your buyer is a despicable human being piece of work.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I let him know the wrong blanket was due to arrive in two days

You must have not been aware that a $15.00 dollar fee for a package intercept was an option, for you.

What do you think about this seller?

The unmitigated audacity of this liar is astounding.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@rob00012 

That would be my course of action.

You indicated that one had opened the return. Once you approve that the eBay "return service" label will become available for the buyer's use.

Same will happen if the other opens the return.

Some suggest------------  to avoid a "ding" on the seller account to just send the buyer a return label without opening a return. A buyer may, or may not be reluctant to do such. Item shows as delivered to them. If returned outside of an eBay return they may be fearful that they will not get their item.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Yes, I tried to intercept but USPS said it was not available with the numbers for some reason. I shipped Priority.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Just an update. Both buyers returned the phones to me. Marked “Wrong item” on their end. Full refund. I’ll re-list and have them both buy again at a discounted price. Thanks for everyone that helped me!

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Perfection! It feels so nice when an error gets corrected in a way that works out fairly for everyone! 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply