cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sells

Is it normal for a buyer to request you purchase a giftcard added to their purchase and then send funds for the item plus giftcard amount.  Email came and said all funds were on hold until seller show receipt for gift card in order for funds to be released. In other words i would have to come out of pocket for a $400 gift card and send proof of it being purchased before being paid 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Sells

SCAM!!!

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Sells

Of course it’s a scam. There’s only 1 million articles on Google about it. SCAM 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Sells

@jawill8687 

It's only normal for scammers to send a message like that.

Add the members ID to your blocked buyers list and cancel the order in 5 days for nonpayment.

You can add the member to your blocked buyers list here
https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Sells

@jawill8687 

NO!  This a complete scam!   Do not ever do this.  You will lose all the money you spent on the gift cards!    Think about it.  If the person has $400 to spend on gift cards, he can just buy the gift cards himself! 

You are being targeted by this scammer because you are a new seller, and the scammer thinks he can take advantage of your inexperience.  But you came here to ask because your instincts were good and you were too smart for him.  Yay!

-

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Sells

@jawill8687 

Absolutely NOT normal!  This person is one of the million scammers on the ecommerce platform looking to steal you blind.  Do not correspond with this person anymore.  Block them and then report them to Ebay.   

Here are some things as a new seller you need to be aware of.  Take notes:

1. Buyer asks for your email address, Paypal address -they don't need it, they can pay thru the payment options Ebay offers
2. Buyer sends you a phone number to text/call him/her-Communicate ONLY thru the Ebay Platform
3. Buyer asks you to buy gift cards to go with the order - Forget about it
4. Buyer asks you to send the item to a different address after paying-Ship only to the address on the invoice
5. Buyer wants you to send the item overnight/express and will pay you a lot extra to do this - Sure they will...lol

6. Buyers says that they cannot pay through the eBay website and sends you a link to click on so that the payment will go through - Sorry
7. Buyer offers more for your item than the price you have it listed for - Buyer is looking to steal your item and money

Glad you came here to ask first.  So many do not.  Good catch. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Sells

So how do I go about resisting my item once I canceled the transaction. I cancelled saying I wasn’t happy with the address he gave me. Since he said he was sending it to his cousin not his address 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Sells

Yeah my first sale and i was like nope not happening

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Sells

A buyer can't pay more than the invoice.

That can't  add extra money when they pay.

That's fake email because payments for gift cards aren't held until you send proof of the card.

Pure scam trying to steal the item and a gift card.

They haven't paid and have no intention of paying or else they would be too easy to find. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Sells

Thanks for replying so quickly Guys. I cancelled pretty fast once he tried getting me to come out of pocket for the giftcard. i just felt like maybe I was wrong and this was something normal that i didnt know

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Sells

What reason did you use when you canceled? Only buyer requested and problem with the address doesn't  give you a defect when the seller cancels a transaction.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Sells

I think the OP said "address".

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Sells

As a new seller you should not list very expensive items since they are a magnet for scammers. You should start with low priced items to understand how ebay works and what the potential pitfalls are. But good catch on your first scammer.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Sells

What is normal is for a seller to sell and a buyer to buy. When a buyer tells a seller to buy something, add something to a sale, you know something is now  off- kilter. 

A seller stays within their listing for the items and their terms of sale if they want to stay safe. Letting a buyer dictate ANY of the terms in any transaction warrant being added to the BBL, POST HASTE.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply