cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling to Nigeria?

I just sold an item on ebay to a buyer in Nigeria. Everything seems in order, except the Nigeria part. I've read all the stories about Nigerian scammers but this one seems like it might be legit. I haven't received any sketchy emails from the buyer, and the shipping address from ebay matches the confirmed address from paypal, and I've received the payment in my paypal account.

Should I cancel or ship the item? What can I do to protect myself in the case that the buyer tries to file either item not received or item not as described?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Selling to Nigeria?

You only have a couple feedbacks as a seller. First thing I would do is to go into my selling account and adjust places that I don't wish to sell to as well as buyer requirements. Take a few hours and decide if you wish to ship the item and possibly lose it as opposed to getting a defect for cancelling due to out of stock. That's a pretty big defect for a new seller. If there is any deviation whatsoever between the eBay user name id (1.e. Janus768  Frank Smith), the name on the ship to line on the eBay shipping label page, and the name on the Paypal transaction, cancel due to problem with buyer's address. No defect. Make sure you verify payment completed through Paypal and not a PayPal email link. It might be a legitimate customer, but you never know, given the history of that place. I wouldn't send a 5 cent washer there.

If you decide to cancel, add the buyer to your blocked bidder's list. Only you can decide.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

@rlvmaiden wrote:

I just sold an item on ebay to a buyer in Nigeria. Everything seems in order, except the Nigeria part. I've read all the stories about Nigerian scammers but this one seems like it might be legit. I haven't received any sketchy emails from the buyer, and the shipping address from ebay matches the confirmed address from paypal, and I've received the payment in my paypal account.

Should I cancel or ship the item? What can I do to protect myself in the case that the buyer tries to file either item not received or item not as described?

After reading all of the details   if it were me in this situation  I'd probably  cancel due to out of stock . Its a shame that the dishonest people  have brought this  distrust down on everyone ,, but it is what it is . Tulips 

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

@rlvmaiden  If you have Nigeria turned on in Site Preferences as an area you ship to AND the item in question had International shipping turned on that included Nigeria and you got paid by a Buyer from Nigeria ... seems to me the next logical step is to ship the item ... to Nigeria.

If you have all those concerns about someone from Nigeria then in the future turn Nigeria OFF in Site Preferences and make they are NOT included on the international shipping section of items you sell.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

The item you currently have listed Blocks Nigeria.

If you don't ship internationally except to the USA, you can cancel as 'problem with address' without getting a Defect.

You should also ask this question on the eBay Canada Boards to avoid answers that do not fit Canadian circumstances.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

There are a lot of highly educated, very wealthy people in Nigeria. They shop online to get things they can't get easily in their own country- southern sweet tea --  unquote 

That's very true  and thats what makes this scenerio  so unfair to them . We seen a news report about the high  crime and corruption in Nigeria  that would make anyone leery of trying to do business   . It seems there's a new scam invented every day . I've personally won the Nigerian lottery  about 40 times  now and for a small fee  they promise to send millions of dollars each time  . Funny  but when you ask they just simply  remove the fee from the winnings  you never hear from them again . LOL  . Tulips 

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Selling to Nigeria?

Selling to Nigeria? 

You might think you're selling to Nigeria but when it's all said and done you'll find you have given the merchandise away and refunded the total amount and been rewarded with a negative feed back.

Since Nigeria is  on the list of the many many countries that are listed as being excluded from your selling areas.

Tell your pretend-buyer to cancel or be cancelled.  Better yet, just cancel for bad address and blatant violation of your selling terms and conditions.

By the way, what is it that someone in Nigeria can't get sooner and less expensively from Europe?

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 21 of 21
latest reply