cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling parfum gift set

Fairly new on Ebay. I have Expensive Parfum and body lotion new in box but box has scotch tape on it and small tear mark from removing some tape.

A friend said I should sell out of box. I think better in box.

What should I do? Thank you

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Selling parfum gift set

Keep it in the box.

And in the description clearly spell out the flaws.

Also take photos from all angles clearly showing all problems with the box.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

@mercferrant0  If it were me I might use the Condition section and explain:

"Unused lotion products, includes original packaging with small tear and piece of clear tape on it. " 

List the facts as you know them ...j

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

Either way as long as it's clearly described and pictured.

How 'expensive'?  Do you know how to deal with buyer complaints?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

Thanks so much.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

Do you know that you can not ship it by air, only ground.  Which means no Priority and no International.

Keep it in the box with a warning about the condition.  And do not list it as New.

(*Bleep*)
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

@mercferrant0  One other point ... if any of the products have water in them they could freeze and damage the product this time of year.  I read a thread where a Buyer had an autocare product frozen  solid when they opened the package in an area with day time temps below freezing ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

@retrose1 wrote:

Do you know that you can not ship it by air, only ground.  Which means no Priority and no International.

Keep it in the box with a warning about the condition.  And do not list it as New.

@mercferrant0

@retrose1

I sell similar items all the time.  Cover yourself.  The term NEW-Old Stock is helpful and I use it all the time.  Definitely highlight the box condition with lots of pictures...the box  (the original packaging) is very important when it comes to cosmetics/perfume items.  If the body lotion/perfume is still sealed, be sure to include close-up pics of those seals.  And when you are packing for shipping, I always wrap some thin foam plus tissue around items then put them back in the box.  But not too tight around the lotion because the seal can burst from pressure.  Make sure the caps are on TIGHT!  Put the entire package in a zip-lock baggie in case of breakage, leaks, spills, then use plenty of bubble wrap.  Your Buyer will appreciate the professional packing and it shows you took extra care.  Cosmetics Buyers tend to be fussier than most.  Give them as little as possible to find fault with.    When I receive cosmetics/perfumes via mail order, the box is always on the large side, with lots  of protection around the products.  You have to remember that your package has to withstand the trip and at any time something really heavy could be thrown on top of it.    The term "bomb proof" is used on these forums for a reason...lol   Best of Luck!!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

@rustictrollop wrote:

@rustictrollop wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:

@mercferrant0

@retrose1

I sell similar items all the time.  Cover yourself.  The term NEW-Old Stock is helpful and I use it all the time.  Definitely highlight the box condition with lots of pictures...the box  (the original packaging) is very important when it comes to cosmetics/perfume items.  If the body lotion/perfume is still sealed, be sure to include close-up pics of those seals.  And when you are packing for shipping, I always wrap some thin foam plus tissue around items then put them back in the box.  But not too tight around the lotion because the seal can burst from pressure.  Make sure the caps are on TIGHT!  Put the entire package in a zip-lock baggie in case of breakage, leaks, spills, then use plenty of bubble wrap.  Your Buyer will appreciate the professional packing and it shows you took extra care.  Cosmetics Buyers tend to be fussier than most.  Give them as little as possible to find fault with.    When I receive cosmetics/perfumes via mail order, the box is always on the large side, with lots  of protection around the products.  You have to remember that your package has to withstand the trip and at any time something really heavy could be thrown on top of it.    The term "bomb proof" is used on these forums for a reason...lol   Best of Luck!!

My advice is to cover the OP when they sell.

If you list as New, the buyer will expect new - just like it is in the store condition.  A torn up box listed as new is a snad waiting to happen.  Many, many buyers don't bother to look at description or pics and just buy it and are shocked when they get exactly what was described - which they didn't bother to read.  If the OP is relatively new and not dealt with a dispute before, they will lose the item and the money.

And you can NOT ship anything liquid Priority (or any ship service that is going on a plane).  While your advice about sealing in bags is good, just in case a cap comes loose, pressure has nothing to do with shipping, because it can not go by air.  If the contents open and if the alcohol in the perfume or oils in the lotion catches fire, OR someone reports you to the PO, you will be in a world of hurt when the PO comes knocking on your door.  That terrorism stuff that they don't know you aren't but can and will charge you for it anyway.

(*Bleep*)
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

Wow! Thank you so much.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

@mercferrant0 wrote:

Fairly new on Ebay. I have Expensive Parfum and body lotion new in box but box has scotch tape on it and small tear mark from removing some tape.

A friend said I should sell out of box. I think better in box.

What should I do? Thank you

Years ago there was an expert Perfume collector/buyer/seller --- ask him

Name was Jim Griffith --- most knew him as Uncle Griff (griff@ebay.com)

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

@retrose1 wrote:

@rustictrollop wrote:

@rustictrollop wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:

@mercferrant0

@retrose1

If you list as New, the buyer will expect new - just like it is in the store condition.  A torn up box listed as new is a snad waiting to happen.  Many, many buyers don't bother to look at description or pics and just buy it and are shocked when they get exactly what was described - which they didn't bother to read.  If the OP is relatively new and not dealt with a dispute before, they will lose the item and the money.

And you can NOT ship anything liquid Priority (or any ship service that is going on a plane).  While your advice about sealing in bags is good, just in case a cap comes loose, pressure has nothing to do with shipping, because it can not go by air.  If the contents open and if the alcohol in the perfume or oils in the lotion catches fire, OR someone reports you to the PO, you will be in a world of hurt when the PO comes knocking on your door.  That terrorism stuff that they don't know you aren't but can and will charge you for it anyway.

@retrose1

Definitely agree about the shipping of perfumes....that used to be my bread and butter and I really miss being able to sell the huge inventory of rare and unique perfumes that I have.  I am able to sell and ship lotions though....it was okayed by the post office, and they are quite militant around here with regards to safe/best practices.

Interesting though that when I travelled to Europe last year, I had perfumes, polishes, etc. in both my carry-on and luggage, clearly visible in the clear official TSB bags and I was allowed to bring them through customs in a number of countries without any problems.  

Anyway, the reason I mentioned "New-Old Stock", is that while I was researching listings, particularly those of high volume perfume sellers, I noticed that many will list an out of the box, sealed perfume/lotion as "new".  And they are still receiving top dollar for such items.  Perfectly sealed boxes of discontined perfumes are usually designated "new-old stock" with a caveat of "cannot guarantee quality of the contents within the sealed package".  There are many ways to describe "new", "new-old stock" as there are sellers.   Particularly when it comes to sample/promo items.  Of course these days we do assume that the average buyer does not read item details.  I often received questions from buyers about condition, particularly for the higher quality products.  So I guess if the OP wants to err on the side of no misunderstandings, "sealed in box" would be new, depending on the age of the product.  Discontinued would then be "new-old stock".    However, if the perfume and the lotion still have the original seals on the caps, then I personally could consider them new and unused, despite the box condition.  But I would also provide really good close-up pics to prove it.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

I believe most items are worth more in the box~but as others have said, just be very careful to accurately describe the condition of the box, and be sure you have pictures of any damage.

It would not hurt to put something alluding to SOME BOX WEAR in the title.

You want to cover all your bases, and give the buyer all the info they need to make an informed buying decision, with no surprises post sale.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

@rustictrollop wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:

@rustictrollop wrote:

@rustictrollop wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:

@mercferrant0

@retrose1

@retrose1

Definitely agree about the shipping of perfumes....that used to be my bread and butter and I really miss being able to sell the huge inventory of rare and unique perfumes that I have.  I am able to sell and ship lotions though....it was okayed by the post office, and they are quite militant around here with regards to safe/best practices.

Interesting though that when I travelled to Europe last year, I had perfumes, polishes, etc. in both my carry-on and luggage, clearly visible in the clear official TSB bags and I was allowed to bring them through customs in a number of countries without any problems.  

Anyway, the reason I mentioned "New-Old Stock", is that while I was researching listings, particularly those of high volume perfume sellers, I noticed that many will list an out of the box, sealed perfume/lotion as "new".  And they are still receiving top dollar for such items.  Perfectly sealed boxes of discontined perfumes are usually designated "new-old stock" with a caveat of "cannot guarantee quality of the contents within the sealed package".  There are many ways to describe "new", "new-old stock" as there are sellers.   Particularly when it comes to sample/promo items.  Of course these days we do assume that the average buyer does not read item details.  I often received questions from buyers about condition, particularly for the higher quality products.  So I guess if the OP wants to err on the side of no misunderstandings, "sealed in box" would be new, depending on the age of the product.  Discontinued would then be "new-old stock".    However, if the perfume and the lotion still have the original seals on the caps, then I personally could consider them new and unused, despite the box condition.  But I would also provide really good close-up pics to prove it.

If this was just a bottle of perfume that has a shiny basic box, I might agree - but a gift set might get a different set of expectations from a buyer.

(*Bleep*)
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Selling parfum gift set

Just because the box is damaged doesn't mean it's old.

All you have to do is put "New perfume. Box is distressed and shows some handling wear."

~Why be a second rate version of someone else when you can be a first rate version of yourself~

Message 15 of 16
latest reply