cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling nothing? Perhaps this is WHY? eBay caught with pants down

😃

This is what happened: While still using my VPN this morning, I was connected to a location about 1,200 miles from home. (Note that the fact it was me and that I was using a VPN is not really, should not be relevant to what I am about to describe, because it could have been any person who lives at the location my VPN showed as the location from which I was browsing eBay. But it is relevant when considering the FALSE information exhibited by eBay). 

What I did was, I was reading one of the threads on this Seller discussion board. In that particular thread, my ID prettywoman-2012 came up as one of the posters. So, out of curiosity, I clicked on my own posting name and then Profile, like someone from that location would perhaps want to do, to see who this person is, and what she is selling. 

The first surprise came when I then clicked, from my profile, on the link "Listings." This is what eBay showed me (or would have showed to the person following the same steps): 

Items for sale from prettywoman-2012 prettywoman-2012 (966 Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999)
About Me | Save this seller
All Listings- Current page
Auction Buy It Now 0 results

This means that, a person searching for my listings from that particular location would think I have no listings whatsoever, when in fact, per my own Seller Hub page, I have 138 active listings! 

I said to myself, O.K. calm down, this must be some glitch, surely, ebay would not engage in deceptive tactics to cut down on the ability of a seller to sell her goods, despite some critically voiced opinions on eBay, earlier on these discussion boards. So, as the next step, I have logged off my VPN and as usual, logged in to this eBay account. 

The Seller Hub showed 

Active listings: 137

I had one message from another seller whom I have asked a question earlier, about a pair of Calvin Klein shoes, I needed more measurements. I have clicked on that message and read it, then clicked on My eBay and this is what awaited me in Seller Hub: 

Uh-oh, something went wrong and we can’t customize Overview.

We’re showing the default view while we iron things out. If you’ve made customizations, you’ll see them again in a bit.

Right below that, some information popped up which I have never before seen on eBay in 22 years+ of selling. It looked like this: 

Get Started  opens in a new window or tab
Set up your account
New business seller guide  opens in a new window or tab
Choose your store subscription  opens in a new window or tab
Create your listings

Hear from experts and eBay sellers on how to create good listings.

On the right side, however, contrary to the above which would imply I have NO listings yet and I am a new seller - the following link was exhibited: 

Listings eligible to send offers: 3

If there is anybody who STILL believes eBay is not retaliating against vocal sellers posting their opinion per their constitutional right on eBay discussion boards, I still have a bridge to sell you in the Kalahari Desert. 

eBay has, in shape or form, notified me of my Active listings (137 currently) not being shown to people searching for my listings on eBay. eBay has not informed me that not having enrolled in Managed Payment by the 15th of July would result in my listings to not be exhibited to potential buyers from any part of this country (I only sell domestically). eBay has me believe that all 137 listings of mine are alive and well, given the listings clearly being visible when I first logged in to Seller Hub. eBay further did not specify what the "you will see them in a bit" part of their message means, particularly, whether "a bit" means minutes, hours, days or weeks, or as long as all the items expire?

Note that 130 of the 137 listings are Fixed Price, with a total value of 5,525.93 so this is probably just peanuts for eBay - they would earn around 600.00 in fees, if that. But if they do these things to 1,000 other sellers, they lose 600,000 in revenue, so besides the above phenomenon being inexplicable (eBay did say that you cannot create NEW listings if you do not enroll in Managed Payments - but it never stated your listings will not be exhibited to potential buyers), it can also cost eBay significant monetary losses, kind of like shooting themselves in the foot. 

Without any further ado, I have saved all these pieces of information and will not hesitate to show it to appropriate instances, as proof of silencing critical posters and interfering with their ability to sell their inventory on this marketplace, as they feel fit. 

In case all of the above is just a temporary technical glitch: I did not see any announcement relevant to that. It is 12:15 p.m. July 18, 2020 and a screen shot was taken of this post, would it be mysteriously made to "disappear."

PW🐘

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Pants down!

f3d3d6cc5b8206b84c2fdba57512b8697cea34cc.gif

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks

View Best Answer in original post

Message 33 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

fwiw, I see 137 listings.

ALWAYS be honest and exceedingly FAIR!

The Volunteer eBay Community Mentor formerly known as juanmogamer
Message 2 of 58
latest reply

Oh, and I have no eBay store subscription...so what's this text about "Choose your store subscription?"

Message 3 of 58
latest reply

I got that "customized overview" message, and display a couple of times today. (two different ID's. One in MP, one registered, but not "in". neither of which post here)  Refreshing the page took me to the normal view.

Message 4 of 58
latest reply

@mega-ma-roo wrote:

fwiw, I see 137 listings.

Since you have zero listings on this (assumed) posting ID, may I ask, what part of the country are you located at? The location I was at when first checking my listings was towards the East from NM. 

Perhaps it only affected one half of the country - I do not know. But that is beside the point. First, because it does not explain the weird messages on my Seller Hub, and second, because no matter what part of the country the potential buyer is at, my Profile / Listings links should show all 137 listings to that person, and they showed that I have zero listings. 

PW🐿

Message 5 of 58
latest reply

"fwiw, I see 137 listings."

I see 137 listings too.

You said your VPN connected from 1200 miles away. Maybe the connection was a location you don't sell to?

Also, you said there was a message from ebay about a glitch. Maybe there was a glitch?

Posting ID
Message 6 of 58
latest reply

Please don't come up with conspiracies that are completely false. You are showing 137 listings and everyone can see them. Don't go by the message boards but instead search like a normal buyer would. You will find everything you have listed. Ebay IS NOT hiding your stuff. If you are not selling it is because no one at this point in time wants your stuff.

Message 7 of 58
latest reply

@aldente28 wrote:

"fwiw, I see 137 listings."

I see 137 listings too.

You said your VPN connected from 1200 miles away. Maybe the connection was a location you don't sell to?

Also, you said there was a message from ebay about a glitch. Maybe there was a glitch?

Thanks for taking a peek. Are the actual listing showing up for you - or just the number 137? For me, the listings were shown at the first log-in page under "Active listings", as they should. After reading that 1 message, only the number showed up with that gibberish, as if I would be a brand new rookie seller just looking to create my first listing. 

No, the VPN location is within the U.S.A. I sell to the entire U.S.A.

Where are you located at? Closer to the East - or the West Coast? 

No, there was no message from eBay, whatsoever, I realize the sentence needs editing but ran out of editing time. The correct sentence is: 

"eBay has not, in any shape or form, notified me of my Active listings (137 currently) not being shown to people searching for my listings on eBay."

PW

Message 8 of 58
latest reply

Looks like it has been happening to others, also - so it may not be retaliation, after all - just stupid programming: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Seems-to-Think-I-Am-A-New-Business-Seller/m-p/31082006#M1...

PW

Message 9 of 58
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Please don't come up with conspiracies that are completely false. You are showing 137 listings and everyone can see them. Don't go by the message boards but instead search like a normal buyer would. You will find everything you have listed. Ebay IS NOT hiding your stuff. If you are not selling it is because no one at this point in time wants your stuff.

Really. Thank you for your invaluable input! Strange that everywhere else, MANY people WANT my stuff - so much so that there are many repeat buyers and some even message me when I will list something like a vintage ring in their size again, because they LOVED the previous item they bought from me! 

Other than making disparaging comments to posters - which is against the posting rules on eBay - perhaps you could check out those listings you claim are visible to you and tell me which one is "undesirable." Too bad I cannot do the same with your listings, since you hide them, if you have any. 

Aside from the fact that I did not come up with a conspiracy theory because on my other selling ID eBay has been hiding my listings so successfully that I did not sell anything for months, there are multiple other posters reporting to have seen the same things I have described in my opening post. Lastly, that is what I did, exactly: I have searched just like another buyer would. And it showed that I had zero items listed. 

PW😃🐿

Message 10 of 58
latest reply

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

Are the actual listing showing up for you - or just the number 137?

The listings were there below the number. I saw pictures and pagination links, though I didn't click them.

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

West

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

No, there was no message from eBay, whatsoever, I realize the sentence needs editing but ran out of editing time. The correct sentence is: 

"eBay has not, in any shape or form, notified me of my Active listings (137 currently) not being shown to people searching for my listings on eBay."

Got it - I misunderstood. i thought you were saying ebay notified you of a glitch.

Posting ID
Message 11 of 58
latest reply

@aldente28 wrote:

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

The listings were there below the number.

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

West

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

Got it - I misunderstood. i thought you were saying ebay notified you of a glitch.

Not your fault, I was too upset and did not proof-read that sentence. 

Thank you for sharing you are to the West of NM. The VPN address from which I have checked my listings was to the East of me, by about 1,200 miles. I will definitely check this out again, later today - I hope they get it fixed. 

Have a nice day

PW🐿

Message 12 of 58
latest reply

Geeze. Stop with your conspiracies' please. NO ONE is hiding your stuff. BTW I have checked out HUNDREDS of the same conspiracies' as you posted and not one single time have I not found the person's stuff.

Message 13 of 58
latest reply

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

Looks like it has been happening to others, also - so it may not be retaliation, after all - just stupid programming: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Seems-to-Think-I-Am-A-New-Business-Seller/m-p/31082006#M1...

PW

That thread is just about the seller hub being a bit scrambled today.  A refresh solved the issue just fine and things were back to normal.  For me it happened the one time and so far today it has not repeated nor has it been an issue.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 58
latest reply

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

@aldente28 wrote:

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

The listings were there below the number.

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

West

@prettywoman-2012 wrote:

Not your fault, I was too upset and did not proof-read that sentence. 

Thank you for sharing you are to the West of NM. The VPN address from which I have checked my listings was to the East of me, by about 1,200 miles. I will definitely check this out again, later today - I hope they get it fixed. 

Have a nice day

PW🐿

@prettywoman-2012 

You're covered in the South, too... Nashville, anyway. All 137 listings, all completely viewable. Breathe...

Message 15 of 58
latest reply