cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Used CDs: Is it even worth it ????

Hello eBay Community

I have an abundance of used CDs in very, very good condition that I would like to sell on eBay but I am unsure if it is even worth the trouble.  I would love to get some advice.

1)  If you suggest I give it a try, then how might you suggest I list them?

Auction (w/ Buy It Now) ... or ... Fixed price

2) Also, would you recommend that shipping fees be included in the price (Free Shipping) or to allow buyer to pay shipping?

3) Lastly, I'm considering selling them by genre in small bundles.  

For example: 8 Classical Music Cds, 12 Opera Cds, 22 Broadway CDs, Etc.  Your thoughts? 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I am contemplating the same thing.

I know that I am going to list at fixed price.  I don't have any rare titles that anyone is going to be falling over each other to try and get.

Most likely I will have the buyer pay shipping, offering a discount for multiple purchases. 

Selling in lots is a good idea if you want to move them quickly at a low price. In that case I would probably list with free media mail shipping, adding that cost into the item cost. That way the price per CD in the lot is still lower and the buyer thinks they are getting free shipping.

Most likely I will be setting these up in TL and dumping them on here when I get a 500 free listings promo.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Crucial difference if you do, or do not have jewel boxes and liner notes.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

I am contemplating the same thing.

I know that I am going to list at fixed price.  I don't have any rare titles that anyone is going to be falling over each other to try and get.

Most likely I will have the buyer pay shipping, offering a discount for multiple purchases. 

Selling in lots is a good idea if you want to move them quickly at a low price. In that case I would probably list with free media mail shipping, adding that cost into the item cost. That way the price per CD in the lot is still lower and the buyer thinks they are getting free shipping.

Most likely I will be setting these up in TL and dumping them on here when I get a 500 free listings promo.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Have you run a search of the cd titles you have, to see how many are currently listed and if any have sold and for what selling price?

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

As suggested searching "Sold" listings for items you have, to obtain their selling price is a valuable tool. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

As suggested searching "Sold" listings for items you have, to obtain their selling price is a valuable tool. 

And if you are like most sellers, that big ole box of cd's will dwindle down to a handful that are worth listing.   Try local FB or CL or even the swap meet for the remaining.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@belladova

I can buy CD's at the local pawn shop for a buck... now records... different market...

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

The only way I would do it is as a lot. I can buy CD's for .25 at most libraries.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

fwiw, CDs are obsolete.

The kids are 'streaming' songs now.

Yes, there's exceptions to every rule, but

our local thrift store has a $2.00 a bag media every week.

I can get 75 or more CDs with jewel cases and all artwork, in that plastic grocery bag.

I guess that's two or three cents each.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

8,642,621 listed 454,577 sell every 30 days so supply exceeds demand by 16 to 1. If you have a can redemption program in your state walking the road ditches will generate a better income than selling CDs on ebay...

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I'm afraid I can't help you with this one.

Or, I could, but I won't 🙂

I sell CDs and DVDs on two different accounts. My other account sells without cases and they are all lower price points.
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

8,642,621 listed 454,577 sell every 30 days so supply exceeds demand by 16 to 1. If you have a can redemption program in your state walking the road ditches will generate a better income than selling CDs on ebay...

I generally have 25 - 50 CDs listed anytime there is a free listing special, taken semi-randomly from a Turbo Lister inventory of 150 or so listings. 

I sell them fixed price for $5 with $2.50 shipping. I use the bar code number and eBay catalog so the listings take a few seconds each to create. 

I only list near mint items with clean jewel cases, and generally list punk, new wave or classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Van Morrison, Pink Floyd, Ultravox, Velvet Underground, etc.)

I sold 50 last year and have sold 25 so far this year. Not a barn burner, but it helps keeps the transaction count up. 

I also have a couple specific titles that I have in quantity that sell for $8 and $15 like clockwork. 

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@18704d @belladova

@18704d wrote:

fwiw, CDs are obsolete.

The kids are 'streaming' songs now.

Lynn

snip...

Then you have u-tube... also...

I can jump from Bach... to Bachman Turner Over Drive... to Boot scootin boogie..to B-52's.

Adam Ant to Zepplin...and all free... who needs Napster...

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I have some too and am going to wait until the dullest most boring days in winter to look up their values.  Did have 2 sales out of 4 cd's offered last year that sold for 28.50 and 32.50.  rarity though.

True dedicated sellers of LP's and now CD's are like fine art historians IMO.  Sooo much you have to know. Lol, I have a friend... let's call him "Larry" (cause that's his name)...  He walks into the thrift stores 3 times a week, each one.  Picks thru for his specialty (blues/jazz)  pulls down about 5k a month in resales.  Thing is - he's 75 and "grew up" hanging around that sound and musicians at Burbank studios.  He's always had connections and its all good for him:)

Wondeful guy to talk to.  But even Larry makes some bad buys. Newspaper did a feature on him last year.  In his 4k foot house - he's got the equivalent of about a 1 br house to walk around in Literal walls of records.  But... "he's happy:). Good on him!

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@stonevintage

Years ago my "rich boss" sent me down town to clear out a building of his wife's junk.

The LP records caught my eye, I ask the knuckle draggers about them... no you can't have.

( I did get a Glen Miller, 4 disk set, when they were not looking )

Some time later I ask about the records...

They said they had taken them to the farm,

for skeet practice, my jaw dropped.

I said there was a whole set of first pressings of Billie Holiday.

They said who is Billie Holiday, my heart sank.

The fools had shot up thousands of bucks of records, with no clue...

sorry about the spellin

Message 15 of 26
latest reply