cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Silverplate - Keep Plastic Sleeves?

I found some interesting treasure on our weekly Saturday yard sale run: a box of 1971 William Rogers Magic Rose silverplate. From a preliminary look, it appears there's an original plastic sleeve for each piece. Do you think I should keep these for each utensil? Each piece has at least some tarnish and will need polishing, even those that appear to not have been taken out of their sleeves. 

For purposes of photographing for listing, I think these would look much better out of their sleeves than in. But, what do you think? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Open end sleeves?

If the sleeves are clean, keep them.

Are you going to sell it as a set or individually?  That matters for me when I'm taking pictures. 

You can see that I have some New in Sleeve flatware listed - both silverplate and stainless.  I usually sell in small/medium grouping and pull one out for the pictures and show the rest in their sleeves. 

If I'm selling as singles, I take it out of its sleeve but place it on top

I had over 100 lots available and the majority sold - and they were photographed sleeved.

- Suzanne -
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@lu12-deals wrote:

For purposes of photographing for listing, I think these would look much better out of their sleeves than in. But, what do you think? 

You didn't mention whether the pieces are sealed in those sleeves. If they're not, then absolutely I would photograph them out of their sleeves, but don't discard the sleeves; just repack them when you're done. 

If the pieces are sealed, I would still open one or two representative examples to show clearly what's in them, as well as photographing the rest (despite their sealed packages) so that it's clear how many items are in the lot.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I'd say the sleeves are a plus~keep the majority in them.  I'm guessing they are not sealed~so you can take one or two out to photograph, then return them to their protective sleeves.  The sleeves show they have been protected~which is a good point to make, IMO.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

As someone suggested, photo a few out of the sleeves and the rest in the sleeves.  Depending on how you're going to lot them up together, of course.  And the resealability.

The plastic sleeves for my sterling flatware (the whole dang set is on its way to auction house) have those, um whatchallit, zip locky things on an end.  Like a sandwich bag you press together.  Ziplock without the zipper pull...

I need a vacation.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Smiley Surprised

Maybe just hit the links!  The V word is not Board compatible.Smiley Very HappySmiley Wink

Or have a cookie.cookie  bigdeals started me on this cookie thing.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply