cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Rare Coins on Ebay~ A haven for scams

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I occasionally sell a few coins on ebay. But recently sold a PCGS Graded gen 1.2 1939 Walking Liberty Half dollar proof 64 on ebay to a buyer for $753 with shipping. The coin had over 9 photos and I am set as not accepting returns. Well anyway the item recently sold on July 8th 2022 and the buyer is a large coin seller here on ebay with over 700 listings. Well I spent over $25 dollars to ship the item to the buyer and when he gets the item he claims that the listing was not as described. The buyer was expecting a 1939 proof 64 Walking Liberty Half Dollar that was cameo so he could resubmit it to PCGS or NGC ect and he decided upon receipt of item that he did not want the item and wants a full refund. So I had to pay for the return shipping and guess what I am out the $25 shipping costs and I had to purchase a return shipping label for this individual. Well to make a long story short, my days with ebay are limited after this coin returns and I refund this buyer slash large seller of high graded Franklin half dollars . I am done with this platform. This is a total predator environment and if you are a seller you will have to bend over backwards to dishonest buyers.  Well I will take my lumps and move on, what do I pay ebay almost 13 percent for ?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I occasionally sell a few coins on ebay. But recently sold a PCGS Graded gen 1.2 1939 Walking Liberty Half dollar proof 64 on ebay to a buyer for $753 with shipping. The coin had over 9 photos and I am set as not accepting returns. Well anyway the item recently sold on July 8th 2022 and the buyer is a large coin seller here on ebay with over 700 listings. Well I spent over $25 dollars to ship the item to the buyer and when he gets the item he claims that the listing was not as described. The buyer was expecting a 1939 proof 64 Walking Liberty Half Dollar that was cameo so he could resubmit it to PCGS or NGC ect and he decided upon receipt of item that he did not want the item and wants a full refund. So I had to pay for the return shipping and guess what I am out the $25 shipping costs and I had to purchase a return shipping label for this individual. Well to make a long story short, my days with ebay are limited after this coin returns and I refund this buyer slash large seller of high graded Franklin half dollars . I am done with this platform. This is a total predator environment and if you are a seller you will have to bend over backwards to dishonest buyers.  Well I will take my lumps and move on, what do I pay ebay almost 13 percent for ?

Did you get you item back yet??

Let us know what you get back when and if you do please.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

No I guess my item is en route with tracking as of now. But I can't believe this buyer was expecting a $2000+ dollar coin for a price of $753 and then expecting me to pay for shipping both ways. He is listed as an Apopka, FL seller. I wonder how many other people paid to ship him coins only for him to  cherry pick the ones he wants and waste peoples time and money. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

edited

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

not sure why you needed to send it for $25.I can send a silver dollar anywhere in the USA with first class postage and signature confirmation for around 7-8 dollars

it did not need to be insured.not like its going to break

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Well when and if you get your item back report the seller for return abuse:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/rules-policies-buyers/abusive-buyer-policy?id=4374https:

If you get back some other item: well that fall into abuse as well:

Yet then you will need to file fraud and theft with law enforcement and then appeal the case with eBay using that rpoert to do so.

: this type of abuser just plain keep doing such. It will eventually get them caught or in trouble.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

No I guess my item is en route with tracking as of now. But I can't believe this buyer was expecting a $2000+ dollar coin for a price of $753 and then expecting me to pay for shipping both ways. He is listed as an Apopka, FL seller. I wonder how many other people paid to ship him coins only for him to  cherry pick the ones he wants and waste peoples time and money. 

If the buyer is reputable on eBay with lots of listings, they probably aren't scamming you for the coin, but abusing the return process to get around your no returns policy. If you get back what you sent, be happy about that, even if it cost you $25. At least it didn't cost you $753.

I am going to point out that buyers of US coins can be some of the most obnoxious buyers on eBay which is why I stopped selling silver dollars (and I didn't sell fractionals often because of too much competition). I kept selling coins to buyers who were expecting MS-65, but the coin was MS-60 and not slabbed. When they found out it was worth what they paid, they got mad and wanted to send it back. One even accused me of tilting the coin to hide defects (it was on a flatbed scanner, no tilting involved).

I just find the USA coin thing to be way too much aggravation.

C.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, my point was the coin was graded by a reputable third party PCGS as such and in this grade listed it was well worth what I was selling it for as such but at the time the coin was graded PCGS apparently didn't recognize Cameos on their grading holders but this buyer flat out told me he was returning because it wasn't a Cameo coin and it was not listed nor graded as such. I would just think a seller at this level would have some integrity . A cameo coin in Proof 64 is valued at $4800 dollars on PCGS's site but a seller probably would not get that for one. I will definitely be happy when it's in my possession. Yes you are right people seem to want a guaranteed winning lottery ticket or they pull this stuff. Well thanks I wasted enough time on this. But thanks for the insight from everyone!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, my point was the coin was graded by a reputable third party PCGS as such and in this grade listed it was well worth what I was selling it for as such but at the time the coin was graded PCGS apparently didn't recognize Cameos on their grading holders but this buyer flat out told me he was returning because it wasn't a Cameo coin and it was not listed nor graded as such. I would just think a seller at this level would have some integrity . A cameo coin in Proof 64 is valued at $4800 dollars on PCGS's site but a seller probably would not get that for one. I will definitely be happy when it's in my possession. Yes you are right people seem to want a guaranteed winning lottery ticket or they pull this stuff. Well thanks I wasted enough time on this. But thanks for the insight from everyone!

Basically a remorse return. Well, hope you do get your coin back. If you relist, maybe provide a bit more info so you don't get another buyer who has unreal expectations on what they are buying.

C.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Recieved the item back >

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

that is good news that you received item back

question: what is a Cameo?