cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers Beware - Seller protections not worth the paper it's printed on

I've had an account in good standing with Ebay since 2004 - pay pal too.  For some reason, Ebay has adjusted this date on my profile to July of 2008?  Nevertheless, I have had the same account I am using now since February of 2004. 

I sold an item in November and it was lost in the mail.  Due to suspicious circumstances surrounding the purchase, it ended up taking more than 30 days for the buyer to file an Item Not Delivered Claim and this was largely due to Ebay not responding to my inquiries surrounding the purchase - I had to call Ebay back again for a response to my questions because they never responded after I called them the first time. 

Previously, Ebay had told me that they would refund the buyer because I was protected under their seller protection policies.  But ultimately Ebay denied the buyer a refund because more than 30 days had passed since the transaction date.

A week or so later, the buyer filed a charge back via Pay Pal and through his CC company (who can blame him?).  So, I called Ebay and told them again that the only reason more than 30 days had passed since the transaction date (the reason Ebay denied the buyer a refund) was because Ebay had not responded to my questions about the suspicious circumstances surrounding the purchase.  Ebay then agreed to send the buyer a refund and they did so through my Pay Pal account. 

There the money sat - withheld by pay pal for over 2 weeks because pay pal was still processing the buyer's charge back from his cc company.  Then suddenly pay pal debits my account for the charge back cost (the purchase cost for the item) and then CANCELS the Ebay refund that was sitting there for weeks - waiting to be released to the buyer.

I ended up spending several hours on the phone to both Ebay and Pay Pal and I got the run-around from both companies over several phone calls for literally several hours non stop.  Finally at the end of the day, one of Ebay's supervisors agreed to revue the case and find out why my refund was cancelled - and presumably to credit the refund money back to my pay pal account.  He told me that Ebay would call me back today - Friday.  Well, Friday has come and is now almost gone, and I am still looking at a negative balance in my Pay Pal account - for the transaction purchase price of the item - which for all I know, the buyer actually received as often times, the USPS does not scan every phase in the delivery of a package - including the delivered scan.

This is Ebay service now!  This is how Ebay treats sellers (their customers) who've been with Ebay for 15 or more years!  I was hoping to be able to report to this forum that Ebay did the right thing by finally sending that money to my pay pal account, but now all I can do at this point is warn other sellers!

I also believe that the problems sellers are having with Pay Pal now (when we didn't have problems before) are due to Pay Pal trying to help Ebay herd sellers into mismanaged payments.  I've been using Pay Pal for a very long time and I've never had a problem - not until after Ebay came out with mismanaged payments.

Sellers beware!  When things go wrong with an Ebay transaction, the sellers' prospects for a fair resolution are slim to none.

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

2004 is when you joined eBay, and 2008 is when you joined these boards.

Even before you joined, eBay only covers INR, PayPal specifically states covered for UA and INR only, and both don't show SNAD on that list.

Message 2 of 46
latest reply

The item wasn't received.  Didn't I just say it was lost in the mail?

And I just joined this board a couple of months ago - Not in 2008

Message 3 of 46
latest reply

Sometimes when we have problems it is simply a misunderstanding and not that anyone is doing anything wrong.

The July 2008 date is the date you joined the Community Forums for the first time.   Your Feb 2004 date still shows on your FB page as your official date you joined Ebay with this ID.

When you call the call center with an issue, you need to stay on the phone for an answer.  While I know from time to time they say they will research and call you back or send you an email, that almost never happens.  You just need to stay with them on the call so you can get the information you desire.

I think you misunderstood Ebay about the INR.  If a buyer files an INR and electronic tracking does not show it is delivered, then the seller will end up refunding the buyer.  Ebay will allow it a few more days to arrive, but then after that if it still has not arrived, the seller pays.  This has been the same for a very long time.  

On the flip side of that, the protection for sellers on INRs are VERY good.  If the tracking shows delivered or that delivery was attempted, or delivery was refused, then the seller is covered and will not be required to refund the buyer.  Or as you experienced, their INR was 30+ days after delivery.  That will cause the buyer to lose as well.

With a CCC you won't fair the same.  If the tracking isn't showing delivered, then the CCC is going to force the chargeback.  You will lose the money.  The only reason Ebay didn't rule for the buyer was because they waited too long to file the INR.  Otherwise if the buyer had of filed under the 30 days, they would have won in Ebay and you would have been refunding at that time.

None of what you perceive as your issues here are unusual.  I know you see them as unusual, but in the end you ended up refunding your buyer for an item that was not received according to the tracking.  There is absolutely nothing unusual about that and is a normal outcome of such a situation.

They aren't new things to PP and have nothing to do with a conspiracy to drive member to MP.  We can't voluntarily go into MP anyway, we have to be invited and approved to join.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 4 of 46
latest reply

And what's UA?  United Artists?  SNAD?

Message 5 of 46
latest reply

@carbonart0 wrote:

The item wasn't received.  Didn't I just say it was lost in the mail?

And I just joined this board a couple of months ago - Not in 2008

Sellers are responsible to their buyers for Lost in the Mail.  You may not feel we should be, but we are held responsible whether we like it or not.

It's possible you forgot you dropped into the community 11 years ago.  But that is how that date is assigned.

Message 6 of 46
latest reply

@carbonart0 wrote:

And what's UA?  United Artists?  SNAD?

UA = User Agreement

SNAD = Significantly Not as Described.

Message 7 of 46
latest reply

@mam98031  wrote:

"Sometimes when we have problems it is simply a misunderstanding and not that anyone is doing anything wrong.

The July 2008 date is the date you joined the Community Forums for the first time.   Your Feb 2004 date still shows on your FB page as your official date you joined Ebay with this ID."

I didn't even come close to suggesting that Ebay was doing something wrong by getting the date wrong.  And I joined the forums a couple of months ago.  

But this isn't what this topic is about.  Now you're suggesting that i didn't stay on the phone for an answer?  I was on the phone trying to get an answer for several hours straight - Didn't I just say that in the OP?  I think the rest of your post is a waste of my time - and everybody else's too.

Message 8 of 46
latest reply

@mam98031  wrote:

"Sellers are responsible to their buyers for Lost in the Mail.  You may not feel we should be, but we are held responsible whether we like it or not."

You're not helping Ebay's cause here mam.  Ebay sent me the refund and told me more than once that I was covered under seller protections - they sent the money to my account.

You just make this **bleep** up as you go - It's unbelievable!

Message 9 of 46
latest reply

The problem you had was really so simple.  Many of us have been down this road a few times.

You won the INR claim in Ebay ONLY because the buyer was outside of the 30 day filing period as set forth in the MBG.  There was no other reason that you won this.

Had the buyer of filed the INR in Ebay under 30 days, they would have won their claim in Ebay as the tracking doesn't show it as being delivered.  Sellers are responsible for lost in the mail.

So since the buyer couldn't win in Ebay they moved on to their CCC.  And that one they won for the same reasons that they would have won in Ebay if they had not waited too long to file the claim.

Message 10 of 46
latest reply

Not correct.

The Ebay reps I talked to told me before they ultimately denied the buyer a refund that I was protected under seller protections and that they were going to issue a refund to the buyer out of Ebay's pocket.  Then when day 30 arrived, they then denied the refund to buyer.  It was only after I called them and reminded them that it was Ebay's fault that it took longer than 30 days for the buyer to file the INR claim - That's when Ebay agreed and sent me the refund via pay pal for the buyer...

Message 11 of 46
latest reply

@carbonart0 wrote:

@mam98031  wrote:

"Sellers are responsible to their buyers for Lost in the Mail.  You may not feel we should be, but we are held responsible whether we like it or not."

You're not helping Ebay's cause here mam.  Ebay sent me the refund and told me more than once that I was covered under seller protections - they sent the money to my account.

You just make this **bleep** up as you go - It's unbelievable!

I'm not trying to help Ebay, so maybe that is why I'm not helping their "cause".  I'm simply explaining to you how it works.  You may not like it or you may want it to work a different way, but what I described is how INRs work.

Anyone that told you that you were covered under Seller Protection for a package lost in the mail and not delivered to your buyer was completely wrong.  Now they may have told you that since the buyer filed the claim outside the 30 day window that they would be denied, but that isn't the same thing.

I realize that what I've said doesn't match up with how you think it works.  That doesn't make me wrong.  And nothing has been made up.  This may offer some assistance to you.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Message 12 of 46
latest reply

@carbonart0 wrote:

Not correct.

The Ebay reps I talked to told me before they ultimately denied the buyer a refund that I was protected under seller protections and that they were going to issue a refund to the buyer out of Ebay's pocket.  Then when day 30 arrived, they then denied the refund to buyer.  It was only after I called them and reminded them that it was Ebay's fault that it took longer than 30 days for the buyer to file the INR claim - That's when Ebay agreed and sent me the refund via pay pal for the buyer...

Ebay doesn't do that.

Message 13 of 46
latest reply

You need to stop mischaracterizing my statements - it's not only annoying, it's causing you to lose credibility on this forum.

People can see my posts and what I've written quite clearly.  Then you come along and attempt to say that I did or wrote something that I didn't.  It's not as though readers can't look above your post and see what I actually wrote....

Message 14 of 46
latest reply

Yes Ebay sent me a refund - directly to my pay pal account.  It was even labeled as a refund for my buyer.

Message 15 of 46
latest reply