cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searches and Listings: User Agreement Updates 2019

I am curious how many other sellers have received an email from eBay alerting them to "Updates to the eBay User Agreement". I received mine today, Sept. 14, yet it states that these changes will be taking affect on August 30, 2019. Besides the annoyance that the updates were sent after the fact I am shocked to read in the Listing Conditions that "To drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer". Isn't this illegal? Shouldn't sellers be advised if their listings will be hidden from buyers?? If my listings are not going to appear, I do not want to pay to list them, or even if it was free, why would I waste my time creating a listing that would be hidden? I am beyond shocked. I know on some boards there have been people claiming this happens already, but I was never sure. To have eBay admit this is a real eye opener.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@chatsnoire wrote:

...in the Listing Conditions that "To drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer"....

This is part of the Seller-friendly policy enforcement which was announced in the 2019 Fall Seller Update. According to this, sellers will be advised if their listings are affected.

When we enforce policy, we’ll help you correct an issue and continue selling

We’re also changing how we take action to enforce our policies and correct the issue while you continue to sell. Under our current method of policy enforcement, your listings could be ended and your account suspended.

However, starting October 1, 2019, we’ll introduce a new enforcement measure called “Hide All Listings” that will temporarily hide all of your listings in buyers’ eBay search results and browsing while you correct a policy issue, rather than end all of your listings or suspend your account. By hiding your listings, any watchers, bidders, or buyers will be able to continue to do business with you. After you correct the issue, all of your listings will be visible in search and browsing again, and you won’t lose any of your item’s sales history. We anticipate Hide All Listings will only apply to a small percentage of eBay sellers.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

@chatsnoire 

I can understand how you would be shocked if are just learning about this now.  However, it is not new.  I think what you are referring to was announced in 2013.  

Here is a link I found from ecommercebytes:

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2013/9/1378955768.html

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

I am not sure that the hidden listings would be a result of policy violations. That is not what is stated in quote I included above. In fact, it seems intentionally ambiguous.  It appears that eBay may, for any unstated reason, hide your listings.  No free shipping? Hidden listing.  No free returns? Hidden. No returns? Hidden.  

I would prefer clear clear cut reasons for listings not appearing in searches. And instant notification, if there is a reason a seller wouldn't know ahead of theme that a listing was not showing

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Wow. I did not know this was happening for so long!!  I actually recently subscribed to that site, by the way.  Great resource. It is upsetting as a seller and a buyer. The search engine needs a lot of work in other ways too, but I think that would be for another discussion. Thanks

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

So is that the reason for the slow sales???  Ebay is hiding all of our listings for one reason or another.  I wonder if they ever system test any of the changes that they make. In my prior job I was always going to the IS department to participate in system testing to make sure the computer programs work the way that they should. With all the problems on ebay, it almost seems like they are system testing with live data rather than a duplicate data base. 

Just a thought I had tonight.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

I don't know, but it is suspicious.  I sell mostly vintage items, so I have another concern with the searches.  I have noticed when I look for vintage clothing items (to buy), my original search often eliminates or hides the vintage category, even though the word vintage is in my search!  Seriously, the last one I did was "vintage men's coat".  The category that first shows is "Mens Clothing - Coats and Jackets".  On the sidebar you see the category of "Clothing Shoes and Accessories", and you can then expand that to see the vintage category. If vintage is in my search, that should be the first category to appear.  Also, in the very recent past, I have had instances where the vintage category would not appear at all in the side bar.  I am glad to see this getting better, but you never know when it will or will not be working correctly.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

using keys words in your search are not friendly and flexible like they use to be. I believe this is due to all the changes that eBay does all at once instead of gradually. 

I have used this example before:

type in Notre Dame yearbook, you get everything Notre Dame. That was not the case say 3 months ago. Now I have to type the following - "Notre Dame yearbook" to get just yearbooks. 

I have to play more when I look at Crown Royal items. I also have to search Crown Royal Whiskey because both searches will bring up other items that the other did not show. 

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chatsnoire wrote:

I am curious how many other sellers have received an email from eBay alerting them to "Updates to the eBay User Agreement". I received mine today, Sept. 14, yet it states that these changes will be taking affect on August 30, 2019. Besides the annoyance that the updates were sent after the fact

I received 3 notices, all after August 30th. The first notice was on 9/4 as the user agreement updates were posted on the fall seller update main page. The second notice was a dedicated e-mail on 9/6 that gave a brief "summary" of changes - basically saying that they were sales tax related. The third notice came yesterday by e-mail.

The hidden from search results text is not new as you've already discovered from the above posts. You can even verify for yourself. Did you ever put in broad search terms that yield a lot of results? The text right at the top of the page will tell you they are only displaying XX,XXX out of XXX,XXX results. This is just one example of why your listing may not appear in search - too many search results.

Of course we all know that's not the only reason listings may not appear in search.  So many times I search for something and only 10 results come up, just 1-2 relating to my actual search. Then I go to google and search the same terms and can find 10 more listings on eBay that are related to my search. I will never pretend to understand how eBay's search works - or doesn't work, as the case may be.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

(I sell mostly vintage items, so I have another concern with the searches.)

eBay Typecasts Shoppers Using Technology

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2019/6/1561044175.html

Jun 20, 2019 Artificial Intelligence

10 Ways eBay is Creating a More Personalized Shopping Experience

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/10-ways-ebay-is-creating-a-more-personalized-shopping-experienc...

1.jpg

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@chatsnoire 

There was a thread ( https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/User-Agreement/m-p/28557977 ) from June of last year (2018) that discussed the User Agreement that had the new 'To drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer.'

You can get more reaction, comments and information about it, starting there.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@eunster1313 wrote:

(I sell mostly vintage items, so I have another concern with the searches.)

eBay Typecasts Shoppers Using Technology

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2019/6/1561044175.html

Jun 20, 2019 Artificial Intelligence

10 Ways eBay is Creating a More Personalized Shopping Experience

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/10-ways-ebay-is-creating-a-more-personalized-shopping-experienc...

1.jpg

Of course they 'want to see the BIN option', considering that ebay restricts new buyers regarding auctions. So they implement that, then spin it so that is what they think buyers want to see.

Just amazing.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

I know, right?  The whole thing doesn't make sense to me.  As a buyer AND as a seller.  please just show me what I typed in the search bar.  And stop defaulting to best match!  Because that is never correct for what I am looking for in my searches.  I always feel eBay had the greatest niche when they were the original online auction place for vintage and antiques.  Personally, I feel their downfall was when they wanted to compete with Amazon.  They are losing, the sellers are losing, and the buyers are losing, IMO.  But I know there will certainly be some people who like the new direction.  BUT, back to my original point here, if my listings are not showing, for any reason, then I do not want to pay to list them.  Or, can I get a discounted price if my listings will fall to the bottom of searches?  

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@chatsnoire 

welcome to ebay 😕

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

hrmmm, hidden listings for not following policies … do you think that all who didn't sign up for managed payments are having their listings be hidden because they aren't managed payments listings?

Message 15 of 26
latest reply