cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammer on the loose

What on earth happened to my post I did about 5 minutes ago?  It just dissapeared. 

Some one wanted to buy and item I have for sale but he said he wanted to come pick it up.  But he wanted to send me a certified check first with and extra $30.00 for my troubles.  I checked his profile and he just started his account today.  Thing is he also texted he this big long story about how he was unexpectedly called out to sea on an emergency meeting but as soon as the check clears he will send one of his workers to come pick up this comforter.  HMMMMM sounds kind of fishy especially when your asking for my address and such.  So I just texted him back " HAHA I know who you are  not 2 minutes later he was "no longer a registered user" on e bay.  I sent an email to e bay letting them know what happeded, oh ya the guy is from Detroit but was in the area.  He put his phone number for me to call him back on like this 5+3+4+6+ and so on.  Weird!  I would post his name but I already got a scolding last time I put a bad persons name down for "shaming"  which I understand I wouldn't want anyone to do that to me no matter how mean I was.  We all have our bad days.  But this is different this is someone who is out intentionally to hurt someone, financially or otherwise.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Scammer on the loose

There are a lot of bad people out in this world who do far worse.

Thankfully, you did not fall for it.

Others are not so lucky.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Scammer on the loose

What on earth happened to my post I did about 5 minutes ago?  It just dissapeared. 

This one?

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Alledge-buyer-texted-me-on-my-phone/m-p/27364559

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Scammer on the loose

@todaysvintagejewelry

"I sent an email to e bay letting them know what happeded, oh ya the guy is from Detroit but was in the area."

Last I knew eBay  USA had no email communication. How did you do it?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Scammer on the loose

The only email I was able to find was-- spoof@ebay.com It's probably not the right one but someone will read it.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Scammer on the loose

That's the one.  I couldn't find it as soon as I wrote it.

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Scammer on the loose

I realize you are a newer sellers, but this scam has been around for years.  I mean no disrespect to you, but this is really pretty darn common.

Anytime you get an email in or out of Ebay that offers you a certified check for  XX $$ for something your selling and they would be happy to add an extra XX $$ for your trouble.  Without exception, 100% of the time it is a scam.  

Another one is a certified check for XX $$, there is some extra in there for you and their "agent" will contact you to make arrangements for delivery.

What happens is you end up depositing that certified check [which is against the Ebay rules to accept by the way] and then a few days later you find out it wasn't worth the paper it was forged on.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Scammer on the loose

I know, it's just the story was just so badly read and even someone who has never ran into this situation would pick up on it.  What I wonder about is how did he get my phone # and it's an extra phone not the one I use everyday.  That's the puzzler.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Scammer on the loose

@todaysvintagejewelry wrote:

I know, it's just the story was just so badly read and even someone who has never ran into this situation would pick up on it.  What I wonder about is how did he get my phone # and it's an extra phone not the one I use everyday.  That's the puzzler.

Most likely a Google search.

I am surprised every time I hear or read about someone falling for this scam.  It is decades old.  But scammers still do it because it works sometimes.  I think some people know, but just think it can't or won't happen to them.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 9
latest reply