cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam??

Hello,

I have been selling on EBay for about 6 years and have a situation where buyer receives item, post office shows delivered but buyer says that the package was received empty.  He did not open a case until 2 weeks after item has been delivered. 1st says he received an empty box, then changes mind and says nothing was in the package at all.  He then reaches out and says in order to not get eBay involved he would accept a $75.00 refund (item is worth $125.00). EBay advises for him to return item and he sends an empty package to us (which has been recorded and documented). EBay rules in his favor.  We have no recourse with the post office as he says he did not take any pictures.  Has anybody experienced this kind of situation and how do we prevent in the future 

thanks!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Scam??

Every week or so there is a seller reporting this type of scam.  The buyers always get to keep the item(s) and get their money back and the sellers are always screwed.  It is the luck of the draw. Seems like people who sell electronics and higher end items have this happen. I haven't seen any good advice on how to prevent it other than don't sell items that you can not afford to take a loss on.  Sorry

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Scam??

Thanks for your response, that’s what I figured.  Just sad that there are people out there that do this, have blocked the buyer but I suppose not too much else you can do.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Scam??

the post office shows delivered but buyer says that the package was received empty.

Generally speaking, any buyer can steal any item from any seller at any time by filing a fraudulent dispute. It has been this way since 2008, and the post office will not help, pictures will not help, and eBay will not help. 

Has anybody experienced this kind of situation

This situation has been a regular complaint on this board for a decade. 

how do we prevent in the future 

Fraud is a part of the eBay landscape, and ther eis no way to prevent it short of not selling here. 

I have been selling on EBay for about 6 years

If this is your first encounter of this sort, some would say you have been extremely lucky for 6 years. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Scam??

Are you TRS?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Scam??

@theresag766 wrote:

Hello,

I have been selling on EBay for about 6 years and have a situation where buyer receives item, post office shows delivered but buyer says that the package was received empty.  He did not open a case until 2 weeks after item has been delivered. 1st says he received an empty box, then changes mind and says nothing was in the package at all.  He then reaches out and says in order to not get eBay involved he would accept a $75.00 refund (item is worth $125.00). EBay advises for him to return item and he sends an empty package to us (which has been recorded and documented). EBay rules in his favor.  We have no recourse with the post office as he says he did not take any pictures.  Has anybody experienced this kind of situation and how do we prevent in the future 

thanks!

This should be all ebay needs to deny an empty box claim - why would the buyer be willing to get back less than what they paid if they actually received nothing.

And he didn't change his mind - an empty box is the same as nothing in the package .........

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Scam??

@earlyant-77 wrote:

He then reaches out and says in order to not get eBay involved he would accept a $75.00 refund (item is worth $125.00).

This should be all ebay needs to deny an empty box claim - why would the buyer be willing to get back less than what they paid if they actually received nothing.

eBay asks buyer and sellers to try to work things out. 

I doubt eBay will ever start ruling automatically against buyers based solely on the fact that the buyers solutionis more advantageous to the seller than a full refund. 

I read on this board about sellers making less than logical decisions during disputes all the time. Imagine the outcry if eBay ruled against them automatically! Oh wait ...  scream

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Scam??

Did you inform Ebay of all this?  My guess is this buyer has done this MANY, MANY times before.  They wanted to avoid you involving Ebay.  

File a fraud complaint with the USPS.  Keep the paperwork as evidence.  Keep the email where the buyer says they will accept $75 refund if you don't contact Ebay.  That's evidence too.

If it were me, I would file an appeal with Ebay.  They shouldn't have sided with that buyer.

If you lose, you can file for arbitration with Ebay.  

If you don't follow through, there is no repurcussion for this scammer or for Ebay continuing to make bad decisions.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Scam??

Did you call Ebay and speak with a rep about this mentioning the offer of accepting a lesser amount for getting nothing as claimed? Ebay CAN SEE all your messages through Ebay messaging.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Scam??

if it was shipped using USPS, I would let the buyer know you will be filing a loss/theft report for the item with the US POSTAL INSPECTOR on their behalf....this seems to stop a lot of these types of things.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply