cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLER WARNING: FLAGRANT, OPEN, ILLEGAL RETURNS FRAUD OK WITH EBAY

I rarely write in to the community but something really alarming is happening right now with a transaction which is illegal under CA state law. THERE IS EVIDENCE OF CRIMINAL WRONGDOING BY THE BUYER. 

Please read: 

I sold a vacuum cleaner part from a Dyson DC40. I specified repeatedly in the ad that I was parting it out and the buyer should name the part, then I would identify that part and accept or reject the offer from the buyer for that part.

The buyer named the part: the sole plate on the bottom.

The buyer offered $25.

I accepted the offer and shipped the part. 
I confirmed with Dyson that what I shipped was the sole plate. 
My part was undamaged and shipped on time. 
I had 1983 positive reviews at that time, no negatives and no neutrals, after years of selling.

The buyer demanded their money back immediately, and photographed the sole plate, unbroken, as shipped in a priority box by me.

The buyer claimed it she ordered the entire vacuum cleaner. False. She named the part. Again, my ad was specific in three places that it was for a part the buyer would name. She named it.

The buyer claimed it was not a sole plate. Her photographs clearly prove it is the sole plate. 

The buyer claimed it was broken. False. The photo proves it out.

I specifically listed as NO RETURNS to prevent a rampant fraud method: broken parts swap fraud. You have a broken part, you buy a good one, then claim it is broken. You return the broken one and keep the good one. Stone simple fraud. Ancient, tried and true. 

Ebay has granted the return, and is making me pay shipping both ways, although my policy was buyer pays return shipping and should be moot on this with no returns policy.

I refused, and received a negative review. 

I have maintained a 100% TRS status for years, with 1986 positive reviews, and now one negative. 

Buyer claimed wrong item sent both in the return and the negative review DESPITE THE PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE.

EBAY TURNED A BLIND EYE TO THE FRAUD AND WILL REACH INTO MY BANK ACCOUNT SO SOMEONE IN FRESNO, CA CAN HAVE A FREE VACUUM CLEANER PART.

THEY ABSOLUTELY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR SELLERS AND HAVE ACTIVELY LOOKED AWAY FROM EVIDENCE IN THIS MATTER. 

THE BUYER HAS BEEN ON EBAY FOR FOUR MONTHS, WITH THREE POSITIVE REVIEWS AS A BUYER!!!!!

IVE BEEN ON EBAY FOR EIGHT YEARS WITH 1986 POSITIVE REVIEWS, AND IT SHOULD BE 1987. 

Message 1 of 102
latest reply
101 REPLIES 101

Wow, read thru to message 60...sheesh...outta here.
Message 76 of 102
latest reply

Is it me, or are there holes forming in this thread?

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 77 of 102
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:
Wow, read thru to message 60...sheesh...outta here.

I have no idea what you are referring to.  The OP said I was siding with a fraudster.  I said no I'm not.  I don't know why you take issue with that, but OK.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 78 of 102
latest reply

Might be the headache-inducing ranting and raving, just at a guess. Better not to take things personally unless it's a tag - this forum doesn't nest.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 79 of 102
latest reply

Just musing...

I am constantly shocked by folks who seriously believe they should be able to run a business, whether in earnest or as a sideline, and never lose any money. Mind boggling.

And I’m stunned all over again by the number of sellers who think it actually makes sense to spin their wheels over a $12 or $25 item. Hello? Time is money.

Message 80 of 102
latest reply

it is not about the money - it is about being right.

Message 81 of 102
latest reply

eBay will ALWAYS side with the buyers... especially when the buyer is doing something fraudulent or just plain stupid.  I can't wait to leave here... after I find another site to replace this part of my income 😕

Message 82 of 102
latest reply

It’s about basic fairness and making a decent effort to be fair. This is owed to both buyers and sellers. Hire smart people who care to look at all the facts of a case, regardless of the dollar amount. If someone has taken the time to open a case or present evidence which supports their case, on either side, a modicum of effort should be made by ebay to be fair. 

There have been times when as a seller I’ve made a mistake. I’ve always recognized that and made it right. I’ve even paid out folks when there was a question in my mind or a grey area in a case. 

When I experienced mail and wire fraud, a felony, I stood my ground knowing a negative review was coming, because the system was so deeply rigged. 

It’s about having integrity and honor, not having a perfect record. 

Message 83 of 102
latest reply

I agree. Ebay has created a sense of total liquidity for buyers with their purchases.... if you need money or free stuff for awhile, swim fins, tennis racquets, sound equipment, just use ebay for the rental service..

Dear Diary, I’m not happy.... 😢
Message 84 of 102
latest reply

With ANY retail environment, you are going to have customers that abuse return policies.  That is just the case - and we have to learn to live with it.  It is a cost of doing business.  I'm sure that if we stood at the returns counter at WalMart, Target, Macy's, etc., we'd see a huge number of suspect returns.  Heck, at those places, they usually don't even open the box to make sure that you're returning what you bought.  

If eBay doesn't make returns and refunds simple, away go the buyers.  

Message 85 of 102
latest reply

Yeah, I guess if it's about a vacuum cleaner you just have to suck it up.

(Please don't take this post too seriously.)

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 86 of 102
latest reply

Running a successful, profitable business and being fair are not mutually exclusive. You can do both. 

The bottom line is that eBay executives have decided they will not take a hit in any way from fraudulent buyer behavior.

1. Require that sellers take the hits repeatedly and at all times.

2. Create a sense in the buyer that they can conduct a fraudulent return.

3. Rely on a sellers decision to stay out of financial need, despite the occasional ( and growing) fraud.

Message 87 of 102
latest reply

Better to stand up for what is right than live in a moral vacuum. 🙂
Message 88 of 102
latest reply

What bothers me about eBay is that they believe the 3rd party is their customer. In my mind the person I sell an item to is my customer, and I am eBay's customer. I have been selling on eBay for over 20 years and eBay has always sided with my customer not with me. It sure makes fraud easy.

Message 89 of 102
latest reply

This disappeared before so I'll try again.

You're just spinning your wheels here - we're not the ones you need to convince, it's the DA. 

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 90 of 102
latest reply