cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return request after return window has passed

I received a return request for 2 packages of parquet hardwood flooring that I sold on oct. 22nd of this year. My return policy is 30 days. The buyer would be responsible for return shipping, which would be very expensive. To accept the return would be a big headache and seems unfair as the return window has long passed. What would you do?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Politely explain that returns are accepted for 30 days and, unfortunately, that time has elapsed.

Did the buyer offer any explanation for the return? i.e. defective, left over, changed mind?

That information could be a useful defense if they decide to file a claim anyways.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yea I would just decline saying the 30 day return window has elapsed.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

The buyer stated that the floor tile grove pattern did not match his current flooring. I supplied all relevant information regarding the tile in the listing, along with many photos. I will go broke if I keep extending accepted return times long beyond what was offered. I feel sorry for the buyers, but it seems impractical to return them, due to the high shipping costs. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The buyer didn't file a request to return the tile through eBay, right? Just messaged you or whatever?

As you know, eBay's MBG gives the buyer only 30 days to return an item, but keep in mind the buyer has 180 days to file for a return via PayPal, although he'll pay for the return shipping. If return shipping costs are high, perhaps that will deter him from filing with PayPal.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

No, the return request was filed through Ebay. I am not obligated to accept the return, but feel somewhat sorry for the buyer, as the parquet flooring is most likely of no use to them, as it does not fit the tile interlocking pattern of their current floor. I wish Ebay would not even allow for a return request after the specified return window. Just inviting problems.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Agreed.

You have some options if you want to offer something to the buyer. You could offer to pay for some of the return shipping, and/or you could offer them some kind of partial refund, or you could offer a full refund if he pays all the return shipping . . . depends how generous you're feeling during this holiday season!
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

You just have to quit feeling sorry for them; they can resell the flooring to someone else. Time has expired as it would at any B&M Store (Walmart even has a return window). 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Exactly...I have a strict 30 day return window on my B and M store...my staff adheres to it and that's it..

I don't care if they come back as customers or not..Policy is policy...

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

"You just have to quit feeling sorry for them; they can resell the flooring to someone else. Time has expired as it would at any B&M Store (Walmart even has a return window)."

I think you are right. Softie = Broke. There does have to be some degree of self preservation. Additionally, what good is a 30 day return policy when it carries no meaning (as far as extending it). 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Oh, you guys are so hard hearted! 😉 /jk
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

"Oh, you guys are so hard hearted! 😉 /jk"

It's called "Tough Love". I am making them stronger, by requiring them to face the harsh realities of life. See, I would be doing them a favor by denying them the return (jk right back atcha).

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@goldrushfinds wrote:

I wish Ebay would not even allow for a return request after the specified return window. Just inviting problems.

And ebay rests easy knowing that their returns system is working perfectly as expected.

Throw sellers under the bus much, eBay?

Message 13 of 13
latest reply