cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Respond to buyer complaint or ignore?

I've been selling now for about 90 days and hope I can get some experienced seller feedback. 

I have a buyer that is unhappy with their purchase and messaged me to express their dissatisfaction with the item and to inform me that they would never use it. But, the buyer did not ask any questions or express that they wanted a refund or to return item.

My immediate impulse was to respond with a politely worded message informing them of my 30 day return policy and to offer apologies for their unhappiness.  But after some thought I realized there wasn't a question in their message, so I haven't responded yet.

Should I respond at all? 

Thanks for the feedback! 

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It is likely that your buyer is fishing for an "aftermarket discount" (in other words, a partial refund)--this is happening more and more often.  Don't fall for it.  Your response should be only this, "Please return for refund."  Nothing more, nothing less.  Then if the buyer wants to return, accept it nicely.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Go with your gut. Your immediate impulse is the right thing to do here.  Otherwise you will end up with a very angry customer who will open a SNAD and neg you.

Good Luck. 

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Just ignore they can use the proper ebay channels of communication if they don't like their item....

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

politely worded message!

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Messages schmessages.  The buyer did not open an actual dispute.  There is really nothing to respond to.  If or when it becomes an actual dispute, then by all means get right on it and respond quickly.  Many buyers just like to rant.  He may be unhappy wiht the item but that does not necessarily indicate that he wants to return it or get a refund.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I wouldn't do anything.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@eclectic-miscellany

How would you like to be treated as this buyer?

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

If I have a problem with an item, my first step is to contact the seller via messaging.  How that respond (or don't) determines my next step.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

It depends what the item / price was.

A ten dollar item?  which you paid 50cents for? 

And their feedback left for others, shows no problems?  

Or an item with a value you can't afford to lose? Or giveaway?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Ok

I see a lot of ten and fifteen dollar clothes in the OP's "sold".

They have a problem with the accuracy of your description?

Did they say your clothes were in worse shape than the listing stated?

Or do they have a problem with Levi's quality?

?

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

I'm going to ESPN the $99.00 hair extension and a simple $50.00 partial refund will make it all better again...

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

It is likely that your buyer is fishing for an "aftermarket discount" (in other words, a partial refund)--this is happening more and more often.  Don't fall for it.  Your response should be only this, "Please return for refund."  Nothing more, nothing less.  Then if the buyer wants to return, accept it nicely.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

Although you were not specific it sounds like the buyer has buyer's remorse.  I think a polite response would be in order; sorry to hear you are dissatisfied/don't feel you can use the item afterall, if you'd like to return for refund, etc.  Ignoring the email is not good customer service.  

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

I was getting the buyer's remorse vibe as well.
Either that or a super subtle form of feedback extortion on an inexperienced seller
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

Ignoring an upset buyer is not a good idea. Tell them you're sorry they are dissatisfied and they are welcome to return for a full refund. They may be fishing for a partial refund. No partials just return for refund.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply