cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relisting to Increase Item Visibility

I have many listings that are 7 months old or approaching that age. Premium Store with 965 GTC listings. I started back selling on ebay around mid January 2017.

Many of these items have quantity available. I am sure that many of these quantity listings have had items sell at some point over the last several months. I have also noticed that when one item sells, over the course of the next several days or a week, a few more of the same item may sell which I contribute to increase visibility by the ebay system. Should I leave those listings alone and just relist the items that have not had a sale?

The other question is, should I use "sell similar"or is a complete "new listing" the way to go? I realize that a new listing is a lot of work as compared to "sell similar" or a "relist". Perhaps I need to "end the listing" first and then do a "relist" or "sell Similar" to keep from having duplicate listings.

Seems as though I could start going through listings that are due to relist because their 30 days are up the next day or two and relist those without much impact to my invoice from ebay. And then of course, end the original listing in the process.

Other thoughts:

I can never pinpoint what exactly causes an increase to sales.

Updating and refreshing listings, adding new listings, using markdown manager and promotions?

Things just seem to take off one day and then can be next to morbid the following day. I just do not get it. I have to step away to take care of an errand and will return later. Thank you for any and all feedback.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

I can't exactly answer much to the GTC listing but seem to remember a large number of postings intimating that your results might be much less with them so it was an option we never used.  Frankly I think the best answer varies from seller to seller depending on their situations and what they sell.  Our big store went through a number of solutions over the years until we cobbled together a "life cycle" treatment for each listing-too complicated to explain here but in short it started by using relist for some items and sell similar for others (with graduated markdowns/ups with time).  We too noticed a small uptick in sales whenever we added new listings so tried to keep a constand flow of new listings coming.  Again it depends on a lot of factors so you should experiment to come up with your own solution.  If you have that many free listings going unused you might try listing things for shorter periods, ending things early then deciding on relist/sell similar depending on views/watchers.  You might also want to consider how long you want each item and use that as a focus while coming up with your plan.  Again, not saying this is best but maybe a starting point to work the system to your best advantage.  Maximize those free listings you get each month-takes more work but if it makes a sale, it IS worth it.  Took us a long time to settle in on our best solution.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

I also have a question about relisting items.

When relisting an item do the different methods of relisting have an impact on the visibility of the listing.  The choices are to sell similar, relist or relist at fixed price. One question I have is if you relist at fixed price when the item is already at fixed price, could it make a difference? I've heard that sometimes sell similar can change the visibility.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Sell similar would be treated like a new listing, even if you don't tweak the listing info (title, images, etc.). But some  revision, such as a better title,  might actually improve buyers' responses to the listing.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

@calntom wrote:
 ... should I use "sell similar"or is a complete "new listing" the way to go? I realize that a new listing is a lot of work as compared to "sell similar" or a "relist". Perhaps I need to "end the listing" first and then do a "relist" or "sell Similar" to keep from having duplicate listings.....

Listings that have had no sales in 7 months are bound to suffer in the 'Best Match" sort of search results as well as when potential buyer sorts by "newly listed".  

End the listing, then use Sell Similar. It will be seen as a new listing. If you end it towards the end of a 30-day cycle, there will be little or no net impact on your listing fees.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

Sell similar would be treated like a new listing, even if you don't tweak the listing info (title, images, etc.). But some  revision, such as a better title,  might actually improve buyers' responses to the listing.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. 

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Hello,

Helping one eBay seller to another. This is the advice that eBay gave me;

Go click on active listings. Then click on Edit the one with the number of listings you have.

That will refresh all your listings. It was suggested do it once a week.

I became ill and lost my Top Rated Status. I explained to eBay that I will never get my status back

selling one item in a blue moon.

Hope this has been helpful.

Tigeress33009
Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Hello

can you please explain a little further.

"Go click on active listings. Then click on Edit the one with the number of listings you have"

thank you

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Do you mean to select all listings, then edit, then just submit them all without changing anything?

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Yes, just like I explained.

Tigeress33009
Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Hello,

Exactly the way I described. All listings.

Tigeress33009
Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Gee, I don't know. Maybe it's just me... but NOTHING but creating a brand new listing for any item works. 

Think about it, your item # does not change with anything but a brand new listing.....

that's the only way to get your listing off the relisted for up to years bottom of the bucket listing order.  They know and so should you.  Unless the item number is new for an item.... it's being tracked and dropped down for each day it does not sell.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@starlight3k wrote:

I can't exactly answer much to the GTC listing but seem to remember a large number of postings intimating that your results might be much less with them so it was an option we never used.  Frankly I think the best answer varies from seller to seller depending on their situations and what they sell.  Our big store went through a number of solutions over the years until we cobbled together a "life cycle" treatment for each listing-too complicated to explain here but in short it started by using relist for some items and sell similar for others (with graduated markdowns/ups with time).  We too noticed a small uptick in sales whenever we added new listings so tried to keep a constand flow of new listings coming.  Again it depends on a lot of factors so you should experiment to come up with your own solution.  If you have that many free listings going unused you might try listing things for shorter periods, ending things early then deciding on relist/sell similar depending on views/watchers.  You might also want to consider how long you want each item and use that as a focus while coming up with your plan.  Again, not saying this is best but maybe a starting point to work the system to your best advantage.  Maximize those free listings you get each month-takes more work but if it makes a sale, it IS worth it.  Took us a long time to settle in on our best solution.  Good luck!

Great post starlight3k. One of the main things I picked out was the duration. We all know that items get the most exposure when initially posted and then again before they end. I had spoken with a savoy ebay rep at one point that suggested the same as starlight3k above. She said that if you have extra listings to play with, instead of doing a 30-day fixed price, do three 10-day fixed price so that the listing will end three times in a month instead of ending just one time a month. 

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@calntom wrote:
 ... should I use "sell similar"or is a complete "new listing" the way to go? I realize that a new listing is a lot of work as compared to "sell similar" or a "relist". Perhaps I need to "end the listing" first and then do a "relist" or "sell Similar" to keep from having duplicate listings.....

Listings that have had no sales in 7 months are bound to suffer in the 'Best Match" sort of search results as well as when potential buyer sorts by "newly listed".  

End the listing, then use Sell Similar. It will be seen as a new listing. If you end it towards the end of a 30-day cycle, there will be little or no net impact on your listing fees.

Excellent points partial*eclipse. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. 

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

@stonevintage wrote:

Gee, I don't know. Maybe it's just me... but NOTHING but creating a brand new listing for any item works. 

Think about it, your item # does not change with anything but a brand new listing.....

that's the only way to get your listing off the relisted for up to years bottom of the bucket listing order.  They know and so should you.  Unless the item number is new for an item.... it's being tracked and dropped down for each day it does not sell.

Thank you for the feedback. New items do look like the way to go. Just to clarify, "sell similar" does provide a new listing ID #.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply