cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding completing a sale to a european buyer

I just joined as a seller and my very first sale already has me confused.  I had a buyer in France purchase something via buy it now, and he sent payment, but he then asked me to enter "christmas gift" in the value section of the customs form because he says the taxes are outrageous for imported items.  I told the buyer that I had paid $60 for the shipping label and that it had the value already pre populated in the customs section.  I've asked the buyer if he wishes to cancel the sale.  He says he cannot afford to pay that much tax.  Should I wait before taking this item to the post office?  Anyone ever had this kind of request?

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Yes, it is illegal.

And it can be seized at the border.

Tell that to the buyer.  If he wishes to cancel then do so - reason buyer requested.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Funny.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

househunt is it the sleeping bag?

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Yes, it is illegal.

Tell that to the buyer.  If he wishes to cancel then do so - reason buyer requested.

That’s not what happens. The recipients will be charged customs fees if caught. The package won’t be seized.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 25
latest reply

They may never come back running in and out of the maze trying to find a solution to their problem...

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Buyers from countries that have low import duty exemptions (like the EU countries) sometimes ask you to describe the item as a "gift" under the impression that it will help them avoid paying duty. There used to be regular poster (lives in the UK, used to do a lot of international selling, posted regularly on the old International Board) who said with great certainty that this was nonsense; marking as a gift does nothing.

When you buy an international label through eBay, you can manually change the information in all of the fields. You just have to make sure the weight for each line item adds up to the overall weight of the package.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Yes, it is illegal.

That’s not what happens. The recipients will be charged customs fees if caught. The package won’t be seized.

I can tell you first hand. My hubby was a custom's inspector and now an agent.

He gives me the lecture all the time...

If you don't declare the true amount on there could possibly : seize the product, make you pay the proper tax/duty, fine you, and possibly shut your company down for violation of the law.

He did this for a job for three years before moving up and becoming a federal agent.

I think I could say it in my sleep 😉 _______________________________

Jen, I did a search and holding it for months or actually seizing it is a possibility.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

"If you don't declare the true amount on there could possibly : seize the product, make you pay the proper tax/duty, fine you, and possibly shut your company down for violation of the law."

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@sam9876Since the source is a (retired) customs agent.....

There is one other problem for the OP faces.

If the buyer does not pick up the item, because he refuses to pay the appropriate duty and sales taxes, it may be destroyed or sold on by the customs department or returned to the seller.

The return is both a good thing- you get your item back- and a bad thing- you pay return international postage.

And a note from a non-US seller. Some countries do have a special rate for 'gifts'. It's not free but here in Canada our duty-free allowance for purchases is $20Cdn (~$16US) but $60 for gifts.

Further, most of the import fees tend to be sales taxes. VAT can run 15-17% of declared value.

OP- I'd go with the Cancelled at Buyer's Request.

Then, go to you listings and Block all countries except your own until you have at least ten DSRs and know what DSRs are.

Then expand your sales to Canada. Most of us speak English and are reasonable polite.

Whenyou are ready to sell overseas, sign up for the Global Shipping Program (perhaps exempting your good friends in Canada?) which will take care of the whole question of customs declarations and payments in advance.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

"If you don't declare the true amount on there could possibly : seize the product, make you pay the proper tax/duty, fine you, and possibly shut your company down for violation of the law."

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Foun this on the Internet.  And on other places as well that an item can be seized.

Do not believe me - google is your friend.  Try it.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

The US government couldn't care less what an eBay seller declares the value at on an international shipment.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Its just a customs hanging working the ebay system on a new seller...

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Thats hanger not hanging...

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Sam I do not know how to make this clearer.

As you said they make you pay a duty and fee on the item if they discover you undervalued it.

But how do they force you to pay that?

They seize your item.  And if you do not pay it, then they keep it.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply