cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Watcher and Send Offer List

After I send an offer to a watcher on my send offer list the item is then removed from my send offer  list.  So the question is whether a watcher can remove an item from their watch list after declining the first modest offer and then place the item anew on the their watch list and then perhaps can possibly receive a later offer sent to all watchers?

I ask this has I have a widget that I just listed yesterday and I sent a watcher an admittedly modest offer as the item has not even been listed over a single weekend.  But I would like to include that watcher on a later more discounted offer if the item has not sold in a few weeks.  So if the potential buyer removes the item from their watch list and then places it back on anew will that watcher show up again and be included in any future offer sent to all watchers?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

EBAY decides which items you can "send offer" to so even if customer removes this item from their "watch list" and then adds it back to watch list later on (there is no guarantee that EBAY will select this item to allow offers).

I am sure if the customer is really interested they will do a "counter offer" or send you an email asking if you can offer "lower price" (customers are not shy about asking for discounts).

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@caldreamer wrote:

EBAY decides which items you can "send offer" to so even if customer removes this item from their "watch list" and then adds it back to watch list later on (there is no guarantee that EBAY will select this item to allow offers).

I am not too sure about that.  I just checked a full page of listed items and every item that shows a watcher also shows I have sent an offer for that listing.  I have even had  send offer options on an item listed at $3.99.  (I send out a 5% offer just to remove the item from my list as most buyers only rarely clean up their watch list.)  My experience is that every item with a watcher gets placed on the send offer list.  I could be wrong, but that is my experience.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Does the sent offer ever drop off? Other places won't include people that got past offers unless it's been maybe 6 months since the last one.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

If you want to wipe off the watchers at some point, end and sell similar the listing.  I doubt if they rewatch the item, you get the opportunity to send another offer later. Though, I don't know.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

After I send an offer to a watcher on my send offer list the item is then removed from my send offer  list.  So the question is whether a watcher can remove an item from their watch list after declining the first modest offer and then place the item anew on the their watch list and then perhaps can possibly receive a later offer sent to all watchers?

I ask this has I have a widget that I just listed yesterday and I sent a watcher an admittedly modest offer as the item has not even been listed over a single weekend.  But I would like to include that watcher on a later more discounted offer if the item has not sold in a few weeks.  So if the potential buyer removes the item from their watch list and then places it back on anew will that watcher show up again and be included in any future offer sent to all watchers?

Yes.  I have done this as a Buyer - but not intentionally.  Recd an offer, declined it as I watched a bunch to compare items.  Bought one from another Seller - seller cancels 5 days after purchase, out of stock.

I had deleted all the others I was watching in first go- round of watching to compare prices/items.

Did it again, 2 weeks later, compared 10-11 items, recd the same auto-offer from that Seller again minutes after watching the grouping of listings again.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

I had deleted all the others I was watching in first go- round of watching to compare prices/items.

Did it again, 2 weeks later, compared 10-11 items, recd the same auto-offer from that Seller again minutes after watching the grouping of listings again.

Yes, my limited and very, very dated understanding of computer programming (Dartmouth BASIC circa 1968) is that it would be some sort of simple conditional statement that if an item is watched then allow send an offer.   And that deleting the watched item from the list and then replacing it on the watch list would trigger anew the same conditional program.  Just not 100% certain that Ebay thinks that way.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

I send offers and get contacted by someone via eBay message with a counter offer. (I will  not enable counter offers because I don't want a back and forth, it's supposed to be my best offer when I send it out). However on occasion I reconsider, but I can't send that buyer another offer (even if the original one expired). It tells me there are active offers (which there are not for that buyer/item), or that the maximum number offers have been reached. I used to be able to send a second offer with a revised price (after the original offer expires), but not anymore.

If a buyer contacts me to negotiate after I send an offer, I change the listing to "best offer" so they can offer me our agreed amount. That's how I get around this "one offer per buyer/item" restriction.

C.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

@caldreamer wrote:

I am not too sure about that.  I just checked a full page of listed items and every item that shows a watcher also shows I have sent an offer for that listing.  I have even had  send offer options on an item listed at $3.99.  (I send out a 5% offer just to remove the item from my list as most buyers only rarely clean up their watch list.)  My experience is that every item with a watcher gets placed on the send offer list.  I could be wrong, but that is my experience.

That's generally correct, but not 100%. If the buyer does not allow themselves to receive offers (or they are on your BBL), you won't see the item to send an offer to them.

I have lots of regulars and I've got a lot of them trained to put items on their watch list to get an offer. But sometimes they've put items on their watch list and not gotten an offer. (This was tested with a Canadian buyer on tokens, he put a bunch on his watch list, I sent offers for what I could see, he said he missed a few offers and sent me messages from those listings for me to "reply with offer").

So no guarantee if it's on a watch list it will be eligible for for offer, but I think around 80% or so of items added to a watch list (buy a buyer who allows themselves to receive offers), will be eligible for offer.

C.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

@m60driver wrote:

Yes.  I have done this as a Buyer - but not intentionally.  Recd an offer, declined it as I watched a bunch to compare items.  Bought one from another Seller - seller cancels 5 days after purchase, out of stock.

I forgot that part... if the buyer declines the offer, you can send another one. It's if they ignore the offer you won't get another chance (even if they message you from the listing and the "reply with offer" button appears).

C.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@m60driver wrote:

I send offers and get contacted by someone via eBay message with a counter offer. (I will  not enable counter offers because I don't want a back and forth, it's supposed to be my best offer when I send it out). However on occasion I reconsider, but I can't send that buyer another offer (even if the original one expired). It tells me there are active offers (which there are not for that buyer/item), or that the maximum number offers have been reached. I used to be able to send a second offer with a revised price (after the original offer expires), but not anymore.

If a buyer contacts me to negotiate after I send an offer, I change the listing to "best offer" so they can offer me our agreed amount. That's how I get around this "one offer per buyer/item" restriction.

C.

Exact same here.  Except I get around it by telling them to buy it & I will refund the difference.   We actually don't even get notified that they replied, if we have counteroffers turned off.   I usually won't see it until the next time I send an offer on that item.  Which could be (and often is) months down the road).  Frustrating, since I always like to acknowledge the prospect, even if it's to say 'no thank you'. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

I understand that as sellers we have many options: send an offer, accept counter offers, or just reduce the price.  The choice for me as to which option to use depends on the limited data I get as far as views and watchers.  My dilemma in this particular situation is that have no data whatsoever as I just listed the widget, say for $200.  The next day I have one watcher but since the full price listing has not even been up over a single weekend I do not want to send but a minimal offer of say a 5-10% reduction.  But if the item has not sold after a few weeks I will begin offering a 20% reduction and I want that first watcher to be included in that offer.  I want to explain to the watcher that I know the first offer is but a small reduction but that I will be offering a larger discount to watchers if the item has not sold after a few weeks.  So I want to know whether it is helpful to tell the watcher to take the item off their watch list and then to place it back on their watch list anew so that they will receive the future offer. 

And yes, I know that I can just reduce the price and all watchers will get a notification but, for me, reducing the listed price is a last step in my price reduction process as it is not uncommon for someone to purchase an item at full price while offers are out there.  Just trying to hedge my bets here.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply