cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about chargebacks and seller protections payment dispute

Few questions when I was reading over the seller protections chargeback (payment dispute) policy

1) If a seller offers 30 day return, buyer pays, (or perhaps free) does this offer any kind of protection? Ie lets say a buyer files a chargeback after 30 days but never initiated any type of return on ebay. Ie item not as described. 

2) Little confused on partial refunds and chargebacks. 

Excluded says

“Transactions where the seller issued a partial refund for an item that was returned used or damaged but was not eligible for Seller protections”

Included says “

• The seller issued a partial refund to the buyer through eBay in accordance with our partial refund guidelines for an item that was returned used or damaged, provided that the seller is eligible to give a partial refund through Seller protections “

What is eligible for seller protections?

3) also regarding TRS and partial refunds, it does not include the fvf being refunded to you right?

So if you issued a partial refund of 10%, you are taking a net loss since the fvf is 12.9%?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

1.  NO.

2.  I've never had this come up.  But before a partial refund could be processed, Ebay would have to get the approval of the Chargeback financial institution.

3.  FVFs are refunded to sellers for partial refunds.  It would be a prorated amount to match your refund.

Keep in mind that Chargebacks and Cases that are filed in Ebay are two different things and are processed differently.  

Chargebacks are when a buyer goes directly to the financial institution or CCC that they submitted their payment with to file a dispute of some kind.  Chargebacks can be harder to defend against, but you don't have to always lose.  Some will say you do, but that is not factual.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Partial refunds can only be done on an INAD case through ebay by TRS and/or sellers that offer free returns up to 50%. Chargebacks are through the buyers funding (PayPal, CC, Debit, etc.) and you can not issue a partial refund at that point to the best of my knowledge. Also if the case was opened and resolved through ebay I don't think they can also do a chargeback, although I have seen where buyers who received a partial refund through an ebay case was able to open a chargeback for the remainder of the refund. If you do receive a chargeback for anything besides an INR don't fight it as you will almost assuredly loose and ebay will charge you a $20 fee. 

FVF's if you refund in whole through ebay case your final value fee's are returned to you except the fixed .30. If you do a partial I'm not sure (as I have never issued a partial refund), but maybe someone else will come along to answer that question that is more knowledgeable. 

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@r_lresale wrote:

Partial refunds can only be done on an INAD case through ebay by TRS and/or sellers that offer free returns up to 50%. Chargebacks are through the buyers funding (PayPal, CC, Debit, etc.) and you can not issue a partial refund at that point to the best of my knowledge. Also if the case was opened and resolved through ebay I don't think they can also do a chargeback, although I have seen where buyers who received a partial refund through an ebay case was able to open a chargeback for the remainder of the refund. If you do receive a chargeback for anything besides an INR don't fight it as you will almost assuredly loose and ebay will charge you a $20 fee. 

FVF's if you refund in whole through ebay case your final value fee's are returned to you except the fixed .30. If you do a partial I'm not sure (as I have never issued a partial refund), but maybe someone else will come along to answer that question that is more knowledgeable. 

This is very bad advice and not necessarily true.  Of course you are not likely to win a Chargeback if you don't do a darn thing to try and stop it.  This is where this rumor comes from.  Those that never try say you can never win one.  That is a real head shaker for me.

As I said above, Ebay refunds FVFs on a prorated basis when a seller issues a partial refund.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I have had two chargebacks recently. So I have been learning more about them:

1) Was for an item not described and it was expensive and sold to a foreign country. I actually won this. 

2) Same issue again, but the item arrived damaged and it was sold via the global shipping program. Now normally GSP ebay eats the fee due to GSP protections but sadly since they didn’t go through Ebay they said I am basically own. To fight it then I could try and and appeal

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@mam98031 

Sorry I thought that using the words "almost assuredly" implicated likely to not win but not 100% at least it made sense to me as I was posting.

@agemelee 

As @mam98031 pointed out my choice of words may have been misleading or not clear on chargebacks. I did mean that it is very likely one wouldn't win fighting a chargeback for INAD and that if you try to fight it and lose you will also get a $20 fee.  Sorry!

"I'm for truth no matter who tells it. I'm for JUSTICE no matter who it is for or against." - Malcolm X
"Dante once said that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in periods of moral crisis maintain their neutrality." - JOHN F. KENNEDY
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

If you aren't willing to try and win, there is not likely a way to win a chargeback.  You get charged the $20 fee if you lose the chargeback whether or not you submit evidence or not.  Either way, fighting an expensive Chargeback may be worth the gamble.

The only way to avoid the $20 fee is to voluntarily refund the buyer.

Now of course it would be different if you had no evidence you could submit to try and fight the chargeback.  That could always be an issue.

Ebay's system only allows you one document or pic that you can attach to a Chargeback.  So we need to be a little creative as that is not nearly enough.  We should create a PDF or a Word document.  Cut and paste any information you want to present on the claim.  Like Emails in Ebay, your summary of what happened, pictures, etc.  Then you submit that as your one document with all the info you can get on the transaction.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply