cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Protection from thieves

It seems common knowledge, even though unfortunately I am just learning it, that ebay protects buyers even when they blatantly steal and defraud.

What methods have you found to protect your self from people who know they can steal from you and get away with it? Anything that helps prove your case when people return merchandise that is not the same? 

I enjoyed selling on here and definitely purchasing from here but the way my first contact with ebay went for a fraud has made me decide to close my account.

Not too mention that ebay allowed him to leave me negative feedback but will not allow me to leave negative feedback (I had no intention to leave feedback but he decided he wanted to add insult to injury I guess.) 

If anyone knows of a way to protect from the buyers who think a warranty is to buy something on ebay and return the old non working one I would like to hear it and maybe keep the account.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Protection from thieves

Sell in a low fraud category.

High fraud categories include smart phones, laptops, tablets, game consoles, cameras, gift cards, jewelry, video cards, and online game subscriptions.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Protection from thieves

Never sell an item you can't afford to lose.  Other than avoiding high fraud items there a not a lot you can do. Selling used items attracts far fewer scammers too.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Protection from thieves

The feedback they have...how much feedback they had...what kind of feedback they left for others.

I deal with a lot of International Buyers and I always check them out before mailing.

Sometimes I will do registered mail at my cost and will lose part of the sale but have will not be worrying about it the next day.

Refunding person usually gets negative feedback erased in 10 days without doing anything.

Anything nasty you email them on ebay is read by ebay so always be professional.

Ebay can remove feedback that is negative...remember that.

Someone said on my feedback it is fake(stamps)....got it removed because of the word fake.

Certain words you are not allowed to use of feedback..thief and so on.

Don't give up!

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Protection from thieves

Since BUYERS can never be given negative feedback, I doubt that checking the FB a buyer has received will give you any valuable information.  

"Refunding person usually gets negative feedback erased in 10 days without doing anything."

If you are saying that a seller can have a negative FB that a buyer has left him erased within 10 days, sorry, you're wrong.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Protection from thieves

@possumtrots wrote:

Not too mention that ebay allowed him to leave me negative feedback but will not allow me to leave negative feedback (I had no intention to leave feedback but he decided he wanted to add insult to injury I guess.) 

The buyer can report the feedback you left and get it removed and hit you with a policy violation.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 6
latest reply