cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with refund

As the title says, someone bought one of my products, and a few hours laters messages me saying he wants to cancel and a refund, but the product specifically says "No returns". The money he sent me on PayPal shows as "detained", and it's less, since PayPal/eBay get a cut of the sale. If I refund 100% I'm losing money, and the product said "No returns".

What do I do?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Problem with refund

While eBay allows you to say "no returns" that ONLY applies for a remorse return.  Otherwise buyers can return, regardless of what you say.  No returns DOES NOT equal no refunds, so be aware that eBay allows buyers to return.

Here, you have a cancelation request.  If you haven't shipped, don't.  Just approve the refund and move on.  Forcing the buyer to continue will most often result in the buyer claiming the item is "Not as Described" and forcing the seller to pay return shipping.

You lose the $0.30 Paypal transaction fee, but Paypal (currently) refunds their 2.5% fees as part of the refund.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Problem with refund

@fede_japon_192 wrote:

As the title says, someone bought one of my products, and a few hours laters messages me saying he wants to cancel and a refund, but the product specifically says "No returns". The money he sent me on PayPal shows as "detained", and it's less, since PayPal/eBay get a cut of the sale. If I refund 100% I'm losing money, and the product said "No returns".

What do I do?

If you have not shipped the item I would suggest cancelling for reason "Buyer Asked" mostly because at this junction there is in fact no return and if you do end up shipping you will likely have a frustrated buyer who, with ebay on their side can make life difficult for you.

That's just my 2 cents.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Problem with refund

@fede_japon_192 wrote:

......   a few hours laters messages me saying he wants to cancel and a refund, but the product specifically says "No returns"

"Now what do I do?

×××××××××××××××××××××

Change " no returns" to " no cancellations"   :Smiley LOL

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Problem with refund

@fede_japon_192 wrote:

What do I do?

If the buyer has asked to cancel and you have not shipped the item yet.  The best path is to cancel and refund in full using asked requested cancellation.  You will get your eBay fees credited back and depending on if the new paypal policy is in effect yet or not you might get some of your paypal fees back.

Not every transaction is going to turn out to be profitable.  This is a prime example - cost of doing business online versus in person. 

Some times you have to take a short term loss and move on.  To force the buyer to take delivery can result in much worse actions than a simple cancellation.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Problem with refund

@fede_japon_192 wrote:

What do I do?

We get all the time requests to cancel sales (Here is a tip for buyers: Don't let your 7 year old kid order toys on your ebay account, if you don't want to pay for them).

If we didn't ship it out yet - no harm. We cancel the order ("buyer asked...") and move on. Someone else would buy it at some point. 

If we shipped it out but didn't get to the PO, no problem. We issue a refund and cancel the label.

If USPS has the item - well, buyer can always refuse shipment or return it to us.

Yes, it is annoying that sales get canceled/returned. But that is part of the business.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply