cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with eBay / CGC authentication program

I've been selling on eBay since 2009 and have sold more than 2,000 items. I have a 100 percent positive feedback rate with 1,075 customers.

A sports card I sold on eBay for $345 was sent to CGC to be authenticated through the eBay program, then rejected because of an inaccurate description. I take great pains to be accurate with my descriptions. There wasn't any extra creases when I sent it to the authenticator, but they are claiming there are. I look at the cards carefully. I include detailed hi-res photos. You could see from the original photos that there were no signs of creases at the bottom.

I've never had an item returned like this before from an authenticator. 

Has CGC ever damaged a card while opening the package? I was as careful as I could be when packaging. 

And why are cards selling for lower than $400 being forced into this program? I thought the sales price threshold was $750. Did that change? Thanks for your interest. SH

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I suppose it could happen.    No business will go without having some loss now and then. Just have to build it into your pricing.   There have been cases where they lost the item or mixed it up with another.  Even without that program a buyer could say it arrived that way and get a refund anyway.  Just a pitfall all sellers risk.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

https://pages.ebay.com/authenticity-guarantee-tradingcards/

$250 and up.

Raw cards listed or sold at auction for $250 or more, graded cards listed or sold at auctions for $250 exclusive of tax and shipping

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You're right. It's getting increasingly difficult to be a seller on eBay. But Etsy and Amazon don't have the customer base for sports memorabilia that eBay has. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Thanks, I know originally it was $750. But $250 does seem low - I can see $500.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I've never used the program but just curious why you would not send the card to be graded before sending to Ebay ?

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I have SEVERAL graded sports cards and I would never, ever sell them through Ebay ever again. It's one of the most flawed processes ever. Ebay simply saw another way to profit and they failed miserably.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

The process of sending off to be graded can be time consuming though not as much as during the pandemic. I have had pretty good success with getting fair prices selling many cards raw. I've sent some to be graded and believe they should have received higher grades. I ended up selling most for less than what I could raw. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

And an update: 

CGC claimed there were creases on this card at the bottom but did not take photos of them. If an individual claims damage on an item, he or she has always sent photos of it to show the damage. But an authentication company doesn't do this? 

CGC also didn't retain the original packaging to see if there was damage in the mail. That seems like it should be a standard practice with authentication companies.  

EBay recommends that I file an insurance claim with USPS, but usually they want to inspect the original packaging. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

They lowered card prices to $250.  The Ebay Authentication Program is a colossal failure.  I also have sold cards for over a decade with zero issues until this program came along.  I sell higher end cards and suddenly they fail to pass the authenticator.  You never really can find out why either.  My last card sat there for 2 weeks with no communication from them.  My buyers still want the cards.  They know they are authentic and in good shape.  I have to find other platforms to sell them on now.  It's a waste of time to list an expensive card since there is no way to get past the authenticator.  I have tried to research and find a seller or template that I can follow to ensure they pass but there is nothing out there.  They say to take more pictures but they will still nitpick and find a way to reject it.  They are losing money for Ebay.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply